Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all. I've just collected a used RCD510 unit off eBay to replace the RCD300 unit i currently have. I have an 08 plate GTi Edition 30. I managed to install the new unit successfully, however, the unit doesn't switch off!! When I press the power off button it just goes into a radio search mode. At this point I haven't connected the two aerials as I need to purchase the twin socket adaptor. Will this be the cause of the issue or is it to do with the CAN-BUS?? Everywhere I've read suggests that an 08 plate should have a compatible CAN-BUS already installed. Would this be solved by plugging in the aerials?

Any help is greatly appreciated otherwise its going straight back onto eBay!!

Mat

·
Registered
40 Posts
try plugging back in your rcd 300 without the aerial connected and see if the same thing happens, i doubt its to do with this, you could also compare your diagrams on top of both units see if anything differs.

if you want an aerial adapter i have these and can do it for £20 inc p&p

Nick

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mate, I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks for the offer of the cable. If it means messing about with the CAN gateway though I sahll probably just sell it as it is just too much hassle. It really shouldn't be this difficult!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just read somewhere that their RCD510 remained on once they'd turned the ignition off 'cos it was searching for traffic information via the TIM function. Wonder if this is the cause if I accidentally turned it on and there was no aerial attached? Fingers crossed

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorted it! Got the aerial adaptoer, connected it all up and job done. Looks like I had pressed the TP button so the radio was searching for traffic information but as there was no aerial connected it continued to search. Live and learn! Looks much better than the RCD300 btw.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks much better, not totally convinced it sounds better though!! Doesnt feel as crisp if that maked sense?

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi does any one no if i need anything else other than the ariel connector to fit the rcd510 with dab, to my jetta 08 keep gettin different tales??? thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts