Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me how difficult it is to replace the doors on my 4-door Golf?

All of mine are scratched or dented a little and I have the chance to buy four nice ones already painted in my colour so I'd like to know if it is a hard job?

Also:

is it going to be difficult to change locks over?

will I need to change anything other than the lock barrels on the front doors,
i.e. will the actually locking mechanisms in the new doors work on my car...including the remote central locking?

is there anything else that might cause me a problem?

Sorry for asking so many questions at once ;)

Cheers

Mik

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK I have my new doors complete with everything except mirrors. One of the guys I bought them from told me that I will need to change the electric window regulators over with the ones originally from my car as they are linked to the vehicle.
Can anyone confirm this?

Also is there anything else I will need to change over for similar reasons e.g central locking?

Cheers

Mik

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the links, they should prove useful :)

Can anyone confirm though whether I will actually need to swap the window regulators?

Mik

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I would have though so, unless the doors you are buying are complete ?

This link give more details on refitting the regulators;

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1015107

Could I ask where you were able to source 4 doors in the correct colour ? It's just that my door hinges are going on the drivers door, plus it has a bit of rust and a scratch in the panel, which I have been quoted over ?350 to repair, so was thinking of just finding a door from a scrappy and swap them over.

Problem is, I can find a scrappy that has a 3 door driver door in Indigo Blue.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The doors are complete with all the bits so what I am asking is whether the parts on the new doors will work on my car.

As I said the guy mentioned that the regulators are linked to the specific vehicle and so I would need to fit my old ones but I can't see much logic why that would be the case....???

I found them on eby actually, just so happened to be someone selling them close to where I live and they were all from the same car which was luckily Satin Silver like mine

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
It that case, all you will need to swap over is the lock barrels which can be done using the following

http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/thread/170253.aspx

As for the window regulators, these are not tied to the vehicle, but there are two type available, plastic and metal. Plastic were on the earlier car, and became brittle over time, so if you can get hold of regulators with metal clips, it will save you having to swap them over.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, I thought it seemed strange that they would be specific to each car.

So everything will definitely work apart form the barrels of course. Also the barrels on my car have a black surround and my new ones are silver, does the barrel come out of the coloured surround or will I need to go to VW for new ones? :(

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anyone else got anything to add or can confirm that I won't need to change anything over? :)
Not that I don't trust you rfsteel but I got two conflicting stories now ;)

Cheers

Mik

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
How are you getting on with this ?

Today I managed to find a replacement door from http://www.centralmotorssalvage.co.uk/ for ?90 delivered with hindges.

I've spoken to the local VW bodyshop who had previously quoted over ?300 to repair some rust and a scratch on the lower half of the door;

Posted Image

They have now quoted me 1 hour's labour at ?30 to hang the new door correctly for me, and can fit me in on Friday. Hopefully the replacement door will be delivered on Wednesday, which leaves me Thursday evening to strip the existing door down and move the lock mechinism over so that I can drive down to the body shop to re-align and fit correctly for me.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I haven't had chance to have a go at this yet [:(]

I was considering the idea of getting a garage to fit them if I can't find the time but I guess at that rate it will be another 120quid for me to get all four done

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Got my door delivered today, though it been damaged [:mad:]

Posted Image

Posted Image

Apart from this damage and a good clean and polish the door would have been perfect

Posted Image

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Ouch! Did that occur in transit? I hope the delivery company are going to compensate you.
Unfortunatly yes, the supplier believe the damage is repairable, though will to refund me that cost plus the postage fee, once they have spoken to the courier.

Fingerscrossed.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hope you get it sorted mate.

I am waiting a while before putting my new door on as a short while back some little toe-rags tried to pull my mirror off and also scratched both near side doors and dented the rear one.
The police have got them though and last week I received a compensation form so I went to get a quote to repair the old doors (?1048!!!) lol!

If all goes well and I get some compensation out of it then they might need to inspect the car first and I don't think it would quite work if I had all new doors on with no damage [;)]

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Russel I'm pretty sure I have spare drivers door in my garage and you can have it for half what central are charging if collected

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Russel I'm pretty sure I have spare drivers door in my garage and you can have it for half what central are charging if collected
It be great if you did !!

Let me know how the hunt goes, and if succesful I'll help make some more space in your garage [:)]

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
after speaking with tom before at a meet and various threads on the forum i have this image of  his garage as a massive VW parts warehouse

1 - 20 of 25 Posts