Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it be worth replacing my suspension bushes with poly items -
would this sharpen up my gti? I did this on my old FTO and the
difference was impressive - much planted afterwards.

Anyone replaced all the difference bushes with poly items?

·
Mokeylock
1,454 Posts
yeah... and bits of the old plastic one sometimes need to be cut out or burnt. It's a good idea to sand the metal before fittting the bush just to make sure you got all the dirt and bits out.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Mo, nice pics [Y] I think I'm just going to buy some new arms and remove the bushes then fit my Powerflex bushes, seems more expensive that way, but at least I'll have the old arms in case it all goes wrong! There's some rust forming on my old arms as well, and I won't need to sand new ones. My steering could definitely do with some sharpening up. I've noticed the same as you, after a long drive.

·
Mokeylock
1,454 Posts
I didn't do it myself, had no experiance at all at the time. It took the mechanic around 10-15min to take old bush out and put new ones in but he had a few machines to help him out.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mo, nice pics [Y] I think I'm just going to buy
some new arms and remove the bushes then fit my Powerflex bushes, seems
more expensive that way, but at least I'll have the old arms in case it
all goes wrong! There's some rust forming on my old arms as well, and I
won't need to sand new ones. My steering could definitely do with some
sharpening up. I've noticed the same as you, after a long drive.
I just got new wishbones a few months back - I presume I got new bushes
as well - I should have fitted poly ones back then - would it be worth
it changing them now even though the current ones are still fairly new?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Covered this in a 3-page article in the Jan 2005 issue of Volkswagen Driver magazine

( fitted Superflex poly bushes to front of my Mk 4 1.8T )

see: www.autometrix.co.uk : )

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
The wishbone bushes are worth changing, they really do sharpen up cornering.
Just the shape of the original rubber bush gives a clue - it's shaped not entirely round, but with large indentations in one axis so it has more slop, to allow the arm to swing up and down (the front joint is a pivot in the axis of the arc so can be perfectly cylindrical). You can poke a pen through the hole and wobble the bush easily in one axis but not the other. This does also mean that the rear joint is prone to moving sideways, describing an arc about the front joint. The Powerflex bush for the rear joint is totally cylindrical so has equal stiffness all the way around.

Mo, I'm about to fit my bushes, got the new arms now. On the original bush, did you also remove the silver metal ring that holds the rubber bush, or do you simply grind out all the rubber and leave that bit? I've seen pics of bushes on their own and the metal outer ring seems to be part of it.

·
Mokeylock
1,454 Posts
Just the shape of the original rubber bush gives a clue - it's shaped not entirely round, but with large indentations in one axis so it has more slop, to allow the arm to swing up and down (the front joint is a pivot in the axis of the arc so can be perfectly cylindrical). You can poke a pen through the hole and wobble the bush easily in one axis but not the other. This does also mean that the rear joint is prone to moving sideways, describing an arc about the front joint. The Powerflex bush for the rear joint is totally cylindrical so has equal stiffness all the way around.

Mo, I'm about to fit my bushes, got the new arms now. On the original bush, did you also remove the silver metal ring that holds the rubber bush, or do you simply grind out all the rubber and leave that bit? I've seen pics of bushes on their own and the metal outer ring seems to be part of it.
Sorry mate but I didn't fit the bush myself, got them fit in my local garage and I can't remember if the silver metal ring is removed or not. You'll be better off getting an answer from someone else or even straight from www.Powerflex.co.uk

I wanted to ask you something, you talked above about the poweflex bush for the rear of the car... I just made this last night and wanted to know if I asm using the correct diagram, can you tell me if it seems correct to you? keeping in mind it's for the 4Motion:

Posted Image

Cheers

·
Mokeylock
1,454 Posts
Since this post is called "replacing bushes" I thought i'll post the other pics I made... btw, all can be found at www.formoshun.com (go to 'Enter Site' then 'Miscellaneous')

Posted Image

Front Wishbone Bushes

Posted Image

Rear Wishbone Bush

Posted Image

Dogbone Bush

Posted Image

Steering Rack bush

Posted Image

Adjustable rear tie arm (&bush)

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Excellent pics there, very informative, but at the risk of appearing a complete pedant, the OEM bushes are not plastic.
The original bushes are rubber(sometimes with a void) and simply soften and degrade due to the weight of the car and the stresses that they're put through as part of a suspension component.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I recently got the Full powerflex kit fitted and i must say steering has improved bucket loads. cornering is just lovely.

There is however a maybe 10% road noise increase but thats to be expected and it gives back more than it takes away.

Also these bushes just give you more confidence going into bends.

the car is now feeling very stiff and i like it. (along with 50mm eibachs / koni ajustables on hard @ front top strut brace) {just need the rear strut but maybe in the summer}

they also take 2 seconds off the 0-100 time :)

·
Registered
6,626 Posts

Sorry mate but I didn't fit the bush myself, got them fit in my local garage and I can't remember if the silver metal ring is removed or not. You'll be better off getting an answer from someone else or even straight from www.Powerflex.co.uk

I wanted to ask you something, you talked above about the poweflex bush for the rear of the car... I just made this last night and wanted to know if I asm using the correct diagram, can you tell me if it seems correct to you? keeping in mind it's for the 4Motion:

Posted Image

Cheers
Oops, I was referring to the rear joint of the front arm. Nice pic by the way, and I think it also demonstrates that the metal ring is part of the bush, but I'll check with Powerflex anyway. Perhaps someone else can answer you about the 4Mo rear bushes...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts