Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to put a new double din head unit into MkV GTI.  Want it to also handle bluetooth handsfree.  Like the look of the Kenwood DDX6029 but has anyone done anything like this or got alternative suggestions?  Thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
hi there please see my other posts on how the 6029 looks in the car

i am also very lucky to have a sample bluetooth unit as its not realesed just yet. i am very pleased in how it works. i leave the phone in my pocket and make all calls through the touch of the screen. i will put up some pics tomorrow when i am in the office...

James

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - look forward to seeing them.  Did you fit it yourself?  And have you got the interface to the multifunction steering wheel?

·
Registered
77 Posts
unfortunattly no i do not have the steering interface if you do the part number from Kenwood is CAW VW1280

pics to follow....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you left everything else the same (speakers etc)? How's it sound now in comparison to the built-in system?

My plan is DDX6029 + KCA-BT100 bluetooth + KCA-iP500 ipod link + CAW-VW1280 steering wheel interface. On top of that I reckon I need a VW double-din blanking plate + a VW ISO connector - anything else I've forgotten?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi sorry for the poor quility in the pics few of the screen you get when BT-100 used. just checked and the unit unfortunattly wont be available till October time.

As for what bits u need if u are thinking bout getting nav u will need a CAN-BUS most of these come with steering controls on them!!

As for the other bits looks good.

If you are still unsure and are local to Watford feel free to pop along to the office and i can give you a demo.....

James

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers for that - saw some of your installation pics on another thread as well.  Unfortunately Manchester based so can't take up your kind offer.  Not bothered about the nav, but defo want the bluetooth and ipod connections, plus want to work them via my steering controls.  The only thing I'm not sure about is whether the HU will be good enough on its own or whether to get an amp and a sub as well

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi i changed all the speakers in the car and are all amped. the sound from the orgional head unit was very poor. my advice would be to do one step at a time change the head unit first this will improce the power that goes to the speakers. You may be happy with this and feel no need to change the speakers or have to change them.

James

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like I'll be doing it in 2 go's. First, the HU and the ipod connector. The bluetooth isn't going to be for a month I'm told, and in order for the steering controls to work properly I've been told the CAW-VW1280 isn't the part - it needs a CAN-Bus adaptor which isn't available to order yet. Still, should be good when it's all finished eventually

·
Registered
538 Posts
Hi i changed all the speakers in the car and are all amped. the sound from the orgional head unit was very poor. my advice would be to do one step at a time change the head unit first this will improce the power that goes to the speakers. You may be happy with this and feel no need to change the speakers or have to change them.

James
What speakers did you use, are they custom fit and just a straight replacement.

cheers

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DDX-6029 head unit and KCA-iP500 fitted - big improvement in sound quality.  The original speakers seem to cope fine.  One problem - perhaps someone with the same kit can help me.  As the HU seems to interpret the ipod as a cd changer I can only get the first 10 albums or artists listed.  Is this a limitation or am I missing something obvious?  Thanks 

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi there this can be an over-site when fitted!. Did you fit it yourself???

If you did you will know where the ip-500 black box is? If not your have to try and find it. On this box there are 2 dip switches they need to be in the correct position for the units to read 10+albums. The correct position for the 6029 is 1 down and 2 up. When you have changed these settings you to re-set the head unit for them to work!!

http://www.kenwood.com/i/kca-ip500/table/eng.html

Hope this helps any other questions then just ask.

James

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi there this can be an over-site when fitted!. Did you fit it yourself???

If you did you will know where the ip-500 black box is? If not your have to try and find it. On this box there are 2 dip switches they need to be in the correct position for the units to read 10+albums. The correct position for the 6029 is 1 down and 2 up. When you have changed these settings you to re-set the head unit for them to work!!

http://www.kenwood.com/i/kca-ip500/table/eng.html

Hope this helps any other questions then just ask.

·
Registered
132 Posts
James, where have you put the microphone to the bluetooth kit?  I'm looking at getting this but worried about where to route the wires for the microphone.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi the mic is just on the A pillar. Just by the sunviser works a treat!!

As for playing DVD's not a problem you can play a DVD, Play the I-pod and run navi all at the same time!

james

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Downloaded an album from iTunes with a bonus music video on it. Looks great on the iPod and I got to thinking wouldn't it be cool if it displayed on the DDX-6029. Anyway, it didn't - what about it James - something the Kenwood technical guys can get working? [:D]

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.