Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have replaced both lower arms with ball joints (it came as one kit) as the bushes were gone. I dont know if i just got used to driving the car with heavy steering, But since i have replaced both arms the car steering feels alot lighter and agile. I am concerned that i have maybe done something wrong. I have tightened up the bolts to vw spec. Would the tracking need to be done since i have changed the lower arm and ball joint

·
Registered
146 Posts
i would jack it up double check everything to be on the safe side,i would of thought with new ball joints etc the steering would slightly feel different,cant remember when we did mine?, can your car drive and hold a straight line without you correcting it?. if it veers off to the left or right thats a prety good indication somethings wrong.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no i havent had the aligment adjusted or yet. I need two new front tyres and thought i would get it done all in one hit.

i replaced the lower arm which has two bolts plus the nut for the ball joint and the drop link. That is all i have replaced. i will recheck the tourque settings again

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the steering veers of to the right side slightly when i drive it.

Also when i do a sharp right/ left turn its like the steering is encouraging itself to turn into the left or right and lock. if that makes sense, i know the tracking now needs to be carried out but will this problem get sorted once the tracking is sorted

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yes alignment needs to be adjusted as you have changed/dismantled the suspension if the steering is pulling it's out and needs to be put to oem settings

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you guys for all your help. I got the two front tyres replaced (as they were nearly bold) and got the tracking done. The tracking was way out, Its now been adjusted and drives like brand new.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts