Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have some play on my mk4 tdi.
The whole track rod is only a bit more expensive than the track rod end…

1) Which os easier to change?
2) What tools will I need?
Any tips for this job?

cheers 🙏🙏🙏

·
Registered
11,385 Posts
you are looking at it wrong... it's either just the end that needs replacing or the back that needs replacing... you could replace the lot in one go but find out first what part is causing the problem... and i am quite sure that if you look in the HOWTO section you'll find a guide that'll tell you how to do the job so i'm not even going to explain it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you are looking at it wrong... it's either just the end that needs replacing or the back that needs replacing... you could replace the lot in one go but find out first what part is causing the problem... and i am quite sure that if you look in the HOWTO section you'll find a guide that'll tell you how to do the job so i'm not even going to explain it.
Thanks for the reply 🙏

I’m pretty sure the play is coming from the ball joint, but it’s pretty rusty.
I saw the ball joint part (track rod end) for sale for like £9, but they sell the whole complete bar with track rod end for £11.

I was just wondering if it’s easier to replace the whole bar in one go,rather than try and remove the ball joint off that rusty thread and end up messing up all the tracking or something.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
You'll end up messing up the tracking either way.

If it were my car, I'd replace both. The inner joint is protected by a boot, and you can use an adjustable spanner to undo that pretty easily, or they sell a special tool for it if you are wanting to purchase that.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok thanks guys.
So I’ll have to get the tracking done afterwards anyway?
I’ll take both your advice and change the full thing and get a decent one.
thanks 🙏

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Ok thanks guys.
So I’ll have to get the tracking done afterwards anyway?
I’ll take both your advice and change the full thing and get a decent one.
thanks 🙏
Yep, tracking will need to be done. You can get it pretty close by making the old and new unit the same length, but it's a steering component so get the tracking done.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One more quick question…
There are 2 different lengths for sale.
Length: 394mm or 359mm
Cone size: 13.3mm or 13.2mm

I’m going to have to get it off first before I know which one to get I suppose… or is there another way to know?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just tried searching the how to section, but nothing seems to come up for track rod on golf.
Don’t suppose you know a better way to search the site?
Thanks

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Had a quick look at that how to TT thread.
Doesn’t really show what I need, but kind of worked it out anyway.

Problem I have now is the inside end of the track rod arm thing is a large hex nut. Biggest spanner I have is 32mm, but it’s bigger.
Anyone know what the exact size is, so I can order a spanner?
Or will a large shifting spanner suffice?

cheers

1 - 16 of 16 Posts