Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that there are some keys out there, like the key for my GF's polo, that have lock, boot unlock and unlock.

My bora keys only have lock and unlock. Is it possible to use all the features on a 3 button key, if the car has only used a 2 button key to date?

I just have to go to the boot of my car several times a day, to get tools out etc for work, but have to keep unlocking the whole car, and thought this might save some wear and tear if possible.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I dont know the answer but that is the key my Bora brochure showed when we bought ours... I was hoping we would get that feature here... but I think it was only in the US (?)

It would make life much easier.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am not after it popping the boot automatically, just unlock. On the Polo, it unlocks the boot, so you then pull the handle to open boot.

I definitely wouldnt want it popping up automatically as you could open boot in to something accidentally.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
The Bora boot is a soft touch electric lock so if you press 'unlock' for the car, its open - you just lift. In the US, its got a Golf style manual catch and the button press on the key physically unlocks the boot - a cheaper solution. I assume VW saw no need for this feature on non US models due to the electric lock

·
Registered
60 Posts
Brand new 3 button remote about ?120 (remote fob + blade + programming). This cost can be reduced by buying the fob from ebay for about ?30. The blade can be cut from non-dealer for ?10 (in Bradford anyway). Programming could be done for half-price at a 'friendly' dealer at about ?30. Hence mimimum ?70, max ?120. nb - programming can ONLY be done by the dealer as they no longer release the immobiliser codes to anyone.

·
MK7 Golf R
1,011 Posts
I have a 3 button fob if anyone is interested but i might want it for myself if anyone can get it to work on a Bora!

The lock sounds the same as my old Polo in terms of the noise it makes and the soft touch feature described earlier.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I posted the very same query regarding my Golf a while ago. The consensus was that another wire needs to be run to the lock from the fusebox(?) or central locking control unit (?)-not sure which, so the boot release works. A search of archives should bring the thread up with the precise details.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
I've had a three button keyfob coded and working on my golf for quite a while.

you need to run an extra wire from the convenience module if you want a remote solenoid to work, to pop the tailgate. But if you just want the boot to unlock you don't need the extra wire.

Really cool feature to have, if you press the centre button for the boot, it unarms the alarm and unlock the tailgate only. Ideal for putting in the shopping. When you close the tailgate it automatically locks it and arm the alarm

aRd

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Quote: posted by aRd on 31/12/2004 18:24:35

I've had a three button keyfob coded and working on my golf for quite a while.

you need to run an extra wire from the convenience module if you want a remote solenoid to work, to pop the tailgate. But if you just want the boot to unlock you don't need the extra wire.

Really cool feature to have, if you press the centre button for the boot, it unarms the alarm and unlock the tailgate only. Ideal for putting in the shopping. When you close the tailgate it automatically locks it and arm the alarm

aRd

You have got me interested matey, have been thinking about solenoiding my boot and dehandling... have you seen this done with the factory 3 button remote? if so how do you code the middle button to control the solenoid??!!

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
you just need a 3 button keyfob coded to work with your car, lock and unlock the doors. There's no special coding to activate the centre button. The centre button will start to work, unlock the tailgate lock.

The soleniod part, you need to run a wire from convenience module, pin 21 of the 23 pin connector, I can't remember the exact pin, you need to double check that for your year. I think the feed is negative pulse.

its been a while since I did mine

aRd

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks aRd, that very usefull information!! :)

Do I have to order a complete key with new blade, or is the remote section a replaceable part? I have VAG COM so can program the key to car etc. ROughtly how much are they and are they a stealer job??

1 - 17 of 17 Posts