Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a mare of a job yesterday. Sucked the oil out with my new pela extractor, then tried getting the filter off. 2 and a bit hours later, I have a filter that will not budge and now has a hole in the side and is slowly leaking a small amount of oil onto the road.

tried two different sorts of filter wrenches.. one slightly grippier than the other, but neither made much head way. Now it has a hole in it, I may as well attack it with a screwdriver, but I can't get enough force to get the screwdriver through the outer metal casing. I have a big bruise on my left arm and marks that make me look like nicky wire on my right arm !

Failing the screwdriver I may as well buy one of the filter extractors from vagparts: Forget the link, it doesn't work !

This is how I left it yesterday afternoon..

Posted Image

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Sorry to hear of your trauma, they can be a pain sometimes.

Now not sure of the exact location of the filter on your car , regarding space around it but i always use either a massive pair of Monster Grips or an oil filter strap (basically wraps around filter and as you apply pressure to undo it grips tighter)

Other than that if you can get in from underneath any motor store should sell a oil filter "claw", add a long extension and a ratchet and the claw fits onto the top (or bottom however you see it :p) and locks around the edges ...undo with rachet.

Remember when putting it on to lube the seal on the inside and tighten by hand [y]

Good luck... ps couldnt get your link to work.

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Halfrauds sell an oil filter removal tool - its like a belt, that you slip around the filter then pull tight and use to twist the filter off. I've had one for years but never got around to using it. Can send it down to you if you like?

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry to hear of your trauma, they can be a pain sometimes.

Now not sure of the exact location of the filter on your car , regarding space around it but i always use either a massive pair of Monster Grips or an oil filter strap (basically wraps around filter and as you apply pressure to undo it grips tighter)

Other than that if you can get in from underneath any motor store should sell a oil filter "claw", add a long extension and a ratchet and the claw fits onto the top (or bottom however you see it :p) and locks around the edges ...undo with rachet.

Remember when putting it on to lube the seal on the inside and tighten by hand [y]

Good luck... ps couldnt get your link to work.
Aye, I will do. I reckon the people who serviced her in march didn't use any oil on the rubber seal or thread and thus it has seemingly welded itself to the oil cooler.

There is quite a bit of space around it actually, (only a rubber pipe that gets in the way a bit), it kinda sticks out from the block by maybe 20-30 degrees at an angle, the "open" end is facing up, if that makes sense ? Pretty sure above it is the oil cooler that has two pipes for the coolant, in and out.

I'll try with a screwdriver tomorrow night.. or thought earlier on I have one of those dremel tool things.. thought I could kinda cut into the side of it then wedge a screwdriver in and try and turn it.. just worried about damaging anything else. There is nothing that screws into the filter that goes right down inside, is there ?

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Halfrauds sell an oil filter removal tool - its like a belt, that you slip around the filter then pull tight and use to twist the filter off. I've had one for years but never got around to using it. Can send it down to you if you like?
I was gonna buy one of those today on way home (been to family crimbo party other side of london village [:)]), but couldn't find a halfrauds.

Would you mind Mark ? Post it down, then if you need it back pronto or before the superchips day at start of feb, i'll post it back to ya. Whaddya reckon ? [:)]

btw.. posted cheque for calendars on friday too.. [H]

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
A bit messy but one method that never fails is.....

Big screwdriver + hammer, hammer screwy through filter, turn........ relax !

Then mop up the mess !!

Should get you out of the poo, this method assumes there will be enough room to both swing the hammer and then to turn the screwy, sometimes there isn't.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Then mop up the mess !!

Should get you out of the poo, this method assumes there will be enough room to both swing the hammer and then to turn the screwy, sometimes there isn't.
I think that makes you the seventh person to suggest the screwdriver meets hammer method Colin [:D]

i'll give it a whirl tomorrow eve I think. There should be enough room to get a bit of a swing on it I think.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts

Then mop up the mess !!

I think that makes you the seventh person to suggest the screwdriver meets hammer method Colin [:D]

i'll give it a whirl tomorrow eve I think. There should be enough room to get a bit of a swing on it I think.
Oooops,

Self note to self, must read threads properly even if the Mrs & Kids are putting up the xmas tree !

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Then mop up the mess !!

Oooops,

Self note to self, must read threads properly even if the Mrs & Kids are putting up the xmas tree !
lol.. didn't mean it like that.. been suggested by tabs, pat, a mate, another mate and a few family members [:D]

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, eventually the screwdriver method worked.. and it came off but not without a fight. Got the new one on and filled her up with oil again now, run for a few mins to check for leaks and all seems fine [:)]

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
what a bitch that looked....iv never had one that tight before. i know it helps if you use the filter wrench more away from the engine if you know what i mean? where you have gripped it.it has been putting pressure on the threaded part where it connects onto the oil cooler....just a future note...

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Halfords sell the correct removal tool required for bmw and vw's and its a cup that fits onto the end of the filter then a 3/4 wrench is used to turn it
I may well invest in one of those then, currently use a spider type on the end which does get it off, but does sometime slip a bit first.

Graeme uses a belt type mind he makes most stuff look easy, guess that is experiance as he has been a mechanic for 25 years.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Halfords sell the correct removal tool required for bmw and vw's and its a cup that fits onto the end of the filter then a 3/4 wrench is used to turn it
Didn't know halfrauds sold em too.. I know VAGparts do one like that. May get one for the future..

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Bit pointless to mention but the Bmw one they sell does not do canister oil filters.

Bmw ones since the E30 era are similar to a few VW ones with the paper element filter, and the tool fits onto the big plastic cap.

So i would imagine the VW one they sell will be for this type.

Unless by coincidence they made the plastic caps same size as end of canisters. That would be cool [H]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts