Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having bought a set of Osram silverstars I understand that the best way to fit them is to remove the front bumper so you get to the headlight unit. I've printed off the "how to remove the bumper" guide but I was wondering if anyone who has actually done this can suggest any tips or problems to look out for. I'm not a mechanic so before I start pulling my pride and joy to bits any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys. [:)]

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
make sure you have the right tools for the job. Torx screws etc etc. Its fairly basic and that guide i posted up is pretty good. Should only take 20-30 mins to take it all off. Just be carefull that once all the fixings are off the bumper that the bumper doesnt fall off the car and damaged its paintwork on the floor if it decides to do a suicide jump!

But really, you WONT need to take the bumper off to fit the H7 bulbs. I did mine 1st time in less than 10 mins. Try that way first.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
removing the bumper is dead as easy. If you do decide to do it make sure you have an old sleeping bag or something in front of the car to lay it on. Removal/fitting of the bumper is a 2 minute job.

But as Mike's just said you should be able to get the bulbs in without removing the bumper, itis fiddley but do able. I've got big plates for hands and I amanged.

J.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, the H7's are in without removing the bumper but fitting the main beam H1's looks tricky stuff. Just waiting for darkness to fall then its play time. [:)]

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
THE BULBS ARE mega TRICKY..........when i was fitting the main beams, the retaining clip fell off......no chance of putting that back!!...stealers it is!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Is it really neccessary to remove front bumper?

When i changed bulbs, seemed quite easy do it with bumper left alone. (- must be the small hands!)

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Other thing that I have found is that it is easier to put the bumper back on when there is one of you at each end - less risk of damaging any paintwork too. My 15 years old daughter is a dab hand at assisting with the front bumper now.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It isnt THAT bad on the Bora. We fitted Osram Silvers (which are very good BTW) and philips blue sidlights in about 1 hour. I didnt even need to remove the battery for the passengers side. I guess there must be a difference in size between the Bora and Golf.

·
Registered
243 Posts
myself and aberdeengti managed it first time, its a bit of a dawdle really. I found that you're best to unclip the thermometer from the nearside once the front bottom grille has been removed, but before you remove the bumper. I'm assuming the guide you have is the one that tells you to turn the wheels full lock to get at the screws in the wheelarch?

Sleeping bag - TOP TIP. You don't really wanna be scratching your nose! Although whilst at my folks place I found some bales of hay did the trick too - no farm jokes or the fact that I drive a TDI thanks!

A set of torques is a good idea to, otherwise you won't be getting that bumper or headlights off! I found the best thing when replacing ALL the bulbs is to remove/disconnect the headlamp unit completely, but the connector can be a bit of a pain to unclip.

·
Registered
243 Posts
yeah, totally that sucked!! I just can't get over the ridiculous performance that we have to go through just to change bulbs! Come on VW get your thinking caps on!

·
Registered
798 Posts
The H7 (dipped beam) are a doddle to change once you know how, but the main beam and side lights look tricky, is it possible to change them without removing the bumper ?

·
Registered
316 Posts
ive been thru a few side light bulbs now (standard -> LED -> Ultra Blue ones) and have never removed the bumper... for me the fiddlyiest thing is puttin the cover back on the rear of the lights...

Lookin to uprate my bulbs soon now im doin more country road driving [;)]

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
i think they can all be done without bumper removal......i nearly did it.

as i say though, the only problem was the fact the retaining clip fell off the full beam bulb, and the bulb holder for one of my sidelights is broken, so need to go to stealers to do it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I replaced the H7's, H1's and the sidelight bulbs in my Golf and it took me about 1 hour to do the drivers side and about half an hour to do the passengers side.

Like others have said, it is a bit tight but nothing too difficult.

BTW, I fitted Osram Silver Star's and I am very impressed with them, ordered them from Powerbulbs.com and they threw in a set of Philips Bluevison sideligt bulbs for free.

Drag

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have replaced all the bulbs at the front, both sides without taking the bumper off!!

It's a little fiddly, but pretty easy if you take your time with it!

Taking the bumper off is a little bit extreme

·
Registered
225 Posts
I took my bumper off and I dont have a clue, it was easy, i did change my main beam without removal, but the side lights you have no chance.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Think the amount of room varies with what engine you have- I changed the dipped beams relatively easily but I could see absolutely no way that the sidelights/main beam could be changed on mine, even with the smallest hands in the world!!

I whipped the bumper off yesterday to fit the sidelights that I've had sitting for over a year! The bumper removal took about 20mins. The most difficult bit was geting the bulb holder out of the light unit- it took twice as long as actually removing the bumper!!

Looks pretty scary when it's all been taken apart though!

Posted Image

1 - 19 of 19 Posts