Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
1,247 Posts
i assume the rub strips are held on by 3M Acrylic foam Tape, or a simlar product.

Therefore if you do remove it, you will also need to remove the adhesive left on the bodywork, in order to be able to re-apply new adhesive and re-stick the rub strip.

· Registered
1,236 Posts
Quote: posted by 02 Bora on 16/09/2004 13:42:44

i assume the rub strips are held on by 3M Acrylic foam Tape, or a simlar product.

Therefore if you do remove it, you will also need to remove the adhesive left on the bodywork, in order to be able to re-apply new adhesive and re-stick the rub strip.

Yep that's correct, I removed mine to colour code them. Absolute PITA to remove the old adhesive. I would advise not taking them off. Try and touch it up still on the car.

· Registered
31 Posts
Greenbeast

Could you take me through how you paitned yours on your car and how much it cost for the paint etc?

I have black rub strips on my car, and they have a rough texture. I'd like to paint them body coloured and have them smooth.

Many thanks in advance

OBK

· Registered
1,247 Posts
Quote: posted by Rye on 16/09/2004 13:57:47

Absolute PITA to remove the old adhesive.

For reference, there is a specific 3M product for this purpose. It is called 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner.

I'm currently trying to get hold of some [!], waiting to hear back from 3M.

· Registered
1,120 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.