Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
i assume the rub strips are held on by 3M Acrylic foam Tape, or a simlar product.

Therefore if you do remove it, you will also need to remove the adhesive left on the bodywork, in order to be able to re-apply new adhesive and re-stick the rub strip.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Quote: posted by 02 Bora on 16/09/2004 13:42:44

i assume the rub strips are held on by 3M Acrylic foam Tape, or a simlar product.

Therefore if you do remove it, you will also need to remove the adhesive left on the bodywork, in order to be able to re-apply new adhesive and re-stick the rub strip.

Yep that's correct, I removed mine to colour code them. Absolute PITA to remove the old adhesive. I would advise not taking them off. Try and touch it up still on the car.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Greenbeast

Could you take me through how you paitned yours on your car and how much it cost for the paint etc?

I have black rub strips on my car, and they have a rough texture. I'd like to paint them body coloured and have them smooth.

Many thanks in advance

OBK

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Quote: posted by Rye on 16/09/2004 13:57:47

Absolute PITA to remove the old adhesive.

For reference, there is a specific 3M product for this purpose. It is called 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner.

I'm currently trying to get hold of some [!], waiting to hear back from 3M.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
they aren't screwed or bolted on but if you've debadged you know it won't be 'really' easy.

also there are holes in the door so you can't leave the strips off unless you gonna fill them

and then re-paint the doors

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Quote: posted by imran on 17/09/2004 08:11:21

Y r they holes in the door when the strips r glued on?

they are just guide holes so they are put on exactly straight.

·
Registered
88 Posts
could anyone help me i want to remove the rub strips on the side of mk mk4, but like you said they have holes underneath, what is the easiet way to fill them? weld then paint?

any ideas? cheers mark

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
seen a few people do this, definately need to be welded up, normally filled, smoothed down primed the usual there after probably best to save yourself the headache and get it done properly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts