Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I got the Anni, i've noticed the radio reception is quite poor. Stations which I used to pick up with a strong signal keep dropping out.

Did a bit of further investigation today and it seems as though the aerial mast is dead. When you wriggle the beesting aerial (around the base) the signal improves, i've tried 2 different aerials and they all exhibit the same problem.

So it looks as though I need a new aerial mast.

To replace the mast i'm gonna have to remove part of the headliner (rear). How easy is this to do and can anyone give me some pointers? and which order I need to remove the trim etc. It looks as though the C pillar trims will need to come off first?

Is the aerial mast simply secured using a nut and can you unplug it from the rear of the car? I really hope I won't have to feed complete new coax cable to the head unit [:I]

I would get this fixed under warranty but I just don't trust VW to carry out the work properly, the interior trim is really delicate and I can just see them scratching/marking it. Would be more hassle trying to get them to admit to their errors if they do bodge it up.

Any advice would be welcome [^]

·
Registered
638 Posts
I am investigating replacing my current ICE with a MFD and pricing up the VW antenna for it, the one which can run standard radio, GPS and mobile in one mast. By the looks of it, there are 3 leads that come of it, that are around 10cm long. THere seems to be no extension lead for the radio, so I would say that the standard antenna has a plug and socket near the base.

I think I have seen a detailed how to somewhere, but you have to take the trim of the c pillars, and probably the rear grab handles etc, but be careful not to kink the roof liner. Should then just be a case of a nut to undo, bit of a wiggle of the base and out it pops.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds interesting, does it look anything like the 'shark fin' aerial on BMW's?

I might fit a Honda Civic base instead as I have a Civic stubby aerial waiting to be fitted which overhangs the OEM VW base. I wonder if the Honda base would be a direct replacement?

·
Registered
638 Posts
http://www.satnavsystems.com/vw/components.htm

And look at number 12. I hope the link works. Thats what I will get when I get a MFD as I currently have one of those glass mount antennas for the mobile, initially I would probably use one of the cheap dash GPS for the MFD just to spread the cost out a bit.

Let me know if you have any tips/hints when you drop your liner.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will remove some of the trim tomorrow and try and take some pics. I really need to remove the mast so I can compare it against a Honda one [:D]

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've removed mine a couple of times to fit my DAB ariel. I'm assuming the anni headliner is the same as the standard golf.

All the trim just pops out, didn't need to remove grab handles at all.

The trim section in line with the top of the boot window and roof that runs from C pilar to C pillar just pops out. That opens the rest of the headlining like an envelope. You can unclip a couple of the sections from the C pillars, they just pop out aswell.

The ariel is mounted with a single nut which is just over finger tight.

·
Registered
432 Posts
does the mk5 aerial fit???.had a look at the mk5 gti feature in PVW mag this morning and really like the look of the aerial fitted to the mk5.

craigv

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh yes, i'm liking that!

Does that do GPS and phone too?

Will investigate some other options...I think the Civic base will work too but the Phaeton one looks better [:)]

Anyone got pics of the MK5 GTI aerial?

Might aswell use this as an opportunity to upgrade (not mod [;)])

·
Registered
432 Posts
was trying to see if the cars in PVW had satnav etc but could not tell anyone know a price???can smell another group buy brewing.(shaq/foxy)

craigv

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Sem,

I can take a picture of all the bits removed if you like since I've got the headliner and trim in my parents garage! Perhaps it'll aid you in removal without breakage!

·
BORA owner!!!!!!
1,624 Posts
If i,m not mistaken the mkv golf aerial above does not have any radio recieving system, its purely for satnav and phone use, please correct me if i,m wrong!

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mister E - it's ok, I managed to get the antenna base off. Dead simmple - just remove the C pillar trims and the rear grab handles, this will drop the rear of the headliner and give plenty of room to work.

So do non SatNav equipped MKV's just have a beesting, like the MKIV's?

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
i think your right! My dads transporter T5 has the aerial down the middle of the windscreen! therefore if u want this aerial it will only work for satnav as u say!

Quote: posted by hz2921 on 17/01/2005 22:59:07

If i,m not mistaken the mkv golf aerial above does not have any radio recieving system, its purely for satnav and phone use, please correct me if i,m wrong!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts