Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me how difficult a job it is to remove the turbo from my PD115 so that I can send it away to be refurbished?

Firstly will any special equipment be needed? i.e. will I need to take the engine out, put it on ramps etc

Are there any guides anywhere anyone knows about to help me out?

Any help greatly appreciated

·
Registered
613 Posts
I still don't understand the above guide...

It doesn't state what gaskets, bolts, other things I have to replace when taking a turbo off and putting it back on.

Is it just a matter of unbolting the bolts that hold the turbo on and the oil feed lines and then its off or do I have to replace the oil lines aswell?

Cheers

Part numbers would help.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
There will be a lot of swearing done when carrying out this job.... its a tight fit back there on a golf!

Not the hardest job to do though, easier to do on my car than changing the suspension was!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Hi, im going to vw tommorow and i need to know what im going to have to replace when Im putting my new turbo on..

I would need:-

Down pipe gasket,

Bolts??(how many?)

anything else??

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Its nuts that you need to hold the turbo onto the block, not bolts as it sits on studs.

I would personally replace the studs also.

Not too sure what else other than down pipe gasket AND turbo gasket

Would reccommend a full oil and filter change at the same time.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
i would also change the oil feed pipe for a braided one if you can source one in time as they sometimes snap and if your really unlucky they can block/kink during removal and that can cause turbo failure straight away.

they are about £20 but i cant remember where from

·
Registered
613 Posts
thanks i think its 8 studs iirc.
If anyone can tell me where to get the oil line from it would be a massive help.
So its only the feed line i need to replace. Im going to do this next week Monday so got plenty of time to order.

·
Golf V R32 3.2 250PS DSG / Golf IV TDI-R 200PS
1,870 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
The above link that mattytdi has posted is the turbo feed hose,

Can anyone confirm that its one I need?

What about the return hose?

Cheers Matty btw [Y]

I will be making this information clearer for everyone to use once I get all the part numbers together..

·
Registered
613 Posts
Update:-

I've taken the EGR and the Inlet Manifold off and cleaned them. tbh they weren't too bad just 2-3 mm black oily layer (ive seen worse on here)

Taken the studs off for the turbo and undone the black oil hose that gets in the way of one stud (managed to bend the hose while it was being undone..New one is on its way anyway so that didn't matter)

undone the black air supply that goes to the turbo and I still can't manage to move it!!

I know theres 2 big black hoses still connected to the turbo think they are intercooler pipes (the ones with the stupid clips that nearly hit my face today)

but is that it?

Is there a oil return as well as the feed line?

oh I also undone the downpipe.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts