Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ppl,

I am connecting a remote amp wire to a Sony headunit in my golf with ISO block. From what I know, it should go to the blue wire in at the ISO, shown in picture below:

sorry cant seems to get the hyperlink work, need to copy the link and paste on the adress bar

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d181/aeroelastic/DSCN7673.jpg

But when I turn the ignition off the amp is still showing red light, means its still on, what would be the problem? advice please, thanks

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
try putting [ img ] link to image [ /img ] either side withouth the spaces or just copy and paste the img link from photobucket

Posted Image

·
Registered
337 Posts
If you disconnect the wire does it go off then? If its like my headunit it doesn't fully turn off until a few seconds after I have turned the ignition off.

Chris

·
Super Moderator
50,212 Posts
If you are plugging your headunits loom straight into your cars loom (as shown below),the electric aerial wire will be connected to the second of the two permanent lives (the one on the left) of the two red/whites,which will probably back feed into the amp remote wire,meaning it will be live all the time,even when the head unit is turned off.You'll have to cut this permanent live wire and tape it up to stop this from happening,and have you remembered to swap the reds and yellows over so that red goes to yellow,and yellow goes to red?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi guys,

Thanks for the reply, its really useful.

I brought the car to one of the local garage dealing with car stereo, the guy check the ISO block for me. He told me that the red wire on my photos doesnt have voltage when my ignition is off. but the blue one does. He said it might be reversed, so i connect the remote amp turn on to the red wire now. the amp did turn off only when the ignition is off. but does this mean that some connection is wrong since I connect the ISO block straight into my car loom without changing.

I will check the position of my wires compare to your diagram Imagewerx. So if it match what you have, do I just cut the second left and seal it?

what is the purpose of swapping the red and yellow wires?

and what is the K line and Gala (speed pulse) do?

Thanks very much if you could advice. Cheers mate

·
Super Moderator
50,212 Posts
Hi guys,

Thanks for the reply, its really useful.

I brought the car to one of the local garage dealing with car stereo, the guy check the ISO block for me. He told me that the red wire on my photos doesnt have voltage when my ignition is off. but the blue one does. He said it might be reversed, so i connect the remote amp turn on to the red wire now. the amp did turn off only when the ignition is off. but does this mean that some connection is wrong since I connect the ISO block straight into my car loom without changing.

I will check the position of my wires compare to your diagram Imagewerx. So if it match what you have, do I just cut the second left and seal it?

what is the purpose of swapping the red and yellow wires?

and what is the K line and Gala (speed pulse) do?

Thanks very much if you could advice. Cheers mate
First of all I need to sack my proof reader,it is of course the RIGHT hand of those two wires (number 2) that you have to cut.
The red wire to your headunit should only have voltage on it when the key is in and turned past the first position,or back to rest again,but not pulled out.To get this it should be connected to the yellow/red wire in your cars ISO block.
The yellow wire to your headunit should have 12 volts on it at all times regardless of the key being in or not,and it should be connected to red/white number 1 for this to happen.
To get these last two to work right the reds and yellows need to be swapped over,that's what the male and female bullet connectors in these wires are for.
The "K" line is part of the cars On Board Diagnostic system (or OBD for short) that enables the operation of the radio and the speakers to be checked by plugging the appropriate equipment into the OBD socket near the ashtray,don't connect anything to it as you'll find your central locking and possibly windows will stop working as well.
The "GALA" wire carries speed pulse information that works the speed dependant volume control on the standard Gamma (and maybe Beta???) head units,and can also be used on aftermarket sat navs that need such information.

So to sum it all up:-
1.........Cut red/white number 2 and tape up both ends
2.........Connect red wire to yellow wire
3.........Connect yellow wire to red wire

Chris.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Chris,

Thanks very very much for your advice, I will do try and sort this out.

when you said the red wire to my head unit has to be connected to the yellow/red wire in my cars ISO block, is it the one below the grey wire?
and after I have done the connection, do i still connect my remote amp wire to the blue wire on the back of my head unit?

Thanks very much Chris

Kai

·
Super Moderator
50,212 Posts
What I should have said is that it comes out of the plug on your head unit as red,you then join it onto the yellow wire,this then goes into the ISO block where it mates up with the yellow/red next to the grey/blue,which if you're interested is the illumination wire.

Chris.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Chris,

You mean swap the red wire coming out of my head unit into the position of the yellow wire, after the wap the red wire should match the yellow/red in the car loom? then my remote amp wire should join the red wire too, is this correct?

thanks very much Chris, thanks for the photos

Kai

·
Super Moderator
50,212 Posts
The red from your head unit should eventually connect to the yellow/red in your cars loom VIA the yellow,and the yellow should connect to the red/white in your car VIA the red in your head units loom,and the amp remote wire should be connected to the blue/white coming out of your head unit.You can connect the remote to the switched live,and it'll work ok,but the amp will go on and off from the ignition,not from the head unit as it should.

Chris.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Chris,

Thanks a lot, manage to get the wire sorted finally. If the yellow and red are not swapped around, will this drain the battery? I know it wont keep the memory of the station you set but will it effect the battery?

I asked because I am not sure where the original position of my red and yellow wires are when it come out of the 16pins plug at the back of the Sony headunit, it was a used HU so someone might have already swap it.

Again, thanks Chris

·
Super Moderator
50,212 Posts
They draw power even when switched off anyway,and a long as you manually turn off on the front panel,it'll still work the same,apart from not keeping the memory and bleeping at you the reminder to take the faceplate with you.

Chris.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Hey I had the same prob on my car it killed my battery, lol. basically the headunit will power up with the keys out as well won't it? The ignition live n permanent live are the opposite way around on veedubs and so the remote wire is recieving the standby signal from the headunit all the time leaving the amp on.

u need a wiring harness which will swap these over don;t get the one from halfrauds as all this does is give u power antenna and is pants. look at online car audio shops for one which switches lives over with male iso at one end and female at the other mine cost about ?7.

·
Super Moderator
50,212 Posts
If your Halfrauds one only gives you the power antenna,they've sold you the wrong one,the Autoleads one made especially for Golfs etc with part number PC2-69-4 will do the job properly,and shouldn't cost any more than ?9.99.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Yeah it just screwed up the gala wire so I took it back, the autoleads one is the one I got, ?6.50 I think it was in the end. Works a treat. Only sod was seperate power cable to relay box for head unit.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
HI Chris,

Got lot of good information from these. But what is the second permanent live actual function (No. 2 in your pictures), I have cut mine but the stereo still work fine, I thought the second permanent live is the reason why my battery keep dying.

·
Super Moderator
50,212 Posts
Perm. live no.2 is labelled as "Positve supply (B+) anti theft",I can only assume that this wire is used to backup the memory,and any interuption to it means the head unit will need the code to but entered into it,and Perm.live no.1 is used to supply the audio output stage only.

Chris.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts