Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys. I have a Golf mk4 ASZ engine 96kw. I know the engine is identical to the ARL 110kw except for the larger turbo and Fmic. I have bought a brand new Garret 1749VB to replace my 1749VA. Now the question: Is it a good idea to slap on that turbo and remap it to 180hp just as it were an ARL, just on a small ASZ smic. I will definitely want to buy a FMIC too, but not at the moment, as I am looking for an ARL slap panel with the intercooler and piping, but it may be some time until I find it. The Darkside kit is a bit expensive and I will not be going for some crazy power. I want a snappy daily driver, and will not be doing any power pulls and go mad with it. Will it heat soak badly on the smic? Is heat soak bad for the engine and components? It sounds like a waste of money to remap it to 160hp now, and then remap it again to 180-190hp when the fmic is sorted?! What are your thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I had my stock ASZ remapped (bought an ecu from FADR on Facebook) and was very happy with the result.

No issues at all.

Did the egr delete, made sure my vac lines were good and fitted a catch can when I did the pcv mod.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Make vented fender liner and put 4motion valance on front to make better cooling to SMIC. I think it will be good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts