Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found out what is wrong with my car , the water pump, being changed tomorrow or sunday, I think the MAF sensor is to blame for the lack in difference between standard and remap, help? i still have random flat spots through my rev range, it isn't consistant, the guy at straight line performance, said a minimum of 38 bhp increase the map was made by http://www.viezu.com. I think it is the MAF sensor, am I correct?

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Did they not do a rolling road comparison, did they not look into it the problem or drive it?

Hard to know whether it's the map or something wrong with your car, has it always driven this way?

If I were you, I would either look into it myself if the remap was dirt cheap and proven to work or get my original map put back and a refund then take it somewhere that will do everything for you

·
Registered
319 Posts
another reason why you should avoid un tested small chip tuners... I would ask to have the oe map put back on and go to some one reputable, any of the big boys of Motech who I have used twice now, and both times brillant service and map from Mike!

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
From their website:

- All remaps have a lifetime guarantee.

- Manufacturer Warranty not affected.

- Full money back guarantee.

- No quibble 7 day refund.

- Remaps are fully reversible.

I'd be off back and get a refund. Get the car sorted so it's running properly then consider a remap from somewhere that has an idea about fixing your problems.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Did the tuner carry out any data logging which you can post up? A basic log of the three fuel IQ limiters and boost would have near enough pin pointed the fault.

I would put money on the MAF reading low, but before spending money on a new unit ask your tuner just to max out the Fuel IQ vs MAF map to 70mg/s then try the map on the car, if the car feels much stronger and pulls hard then its the MAF at fault.

BUT dont just start spending money one new parts because a tuner said it COULD be it fault.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I can always send the MAF back and get a refund so it is kind of a safe option, I am going on gut feeling, it is all sporadic flat spots. so I am guessing it is the MAF. we will see:) thanks for the advice guys and girls, keep an eye open on this thread, if I find out it isn't the MAF sensor and I dont like opening lots of threads when one will suffice.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What is wrong with your water pump? How have you diagnosed it? Did the map get posted to you or did someone actually upload it? What was the car like before?
Well I sent it in to the garage and they ran some tests, said that is isnt HGF but all the signs are pointing at a water pump, apparently it is a commone fault with plastic impelars on the spindle it expands off the spindle and then grabs on the spindle throws some through and then spins freely again. bought a new Water pump and MAF for 100 in total but I can send the MAF back if it isnt the MAF.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
are you getting over heating? water pump is a bit of a task...cam belt off etc.
I did but it seems to have stopped and I know about the cambelt having to come off, The garage say they can do it in " hours so I am estimating a day for me.

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
If you're going to the hassle of taking the thing apart to change the water pump then you really need to be changing the cam belt at the same time. Not economical to do all that work and leave the belt / tensioner / rollers etc. On top of that, I wouldn't re use a belt anyway regardless of how long it'd been fitted.

·
TEAM 88 MOTORSPORT
8,901 Posts
yes Im a fairly experienced DIY mechanic and it took me around 4 hours...that is with double checking the timing lots and looking for the non existant flywheel marks for a good while. Just make sure you have the tool to hold the hydraulic tensioner[Y]

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Can someone find the the parts for locking the bottom pully and cam shaft and hydraulic tensioner, I can seem to find the right parts ,well all the parts I need.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Time for a silly question does the PD 115 have a variable vain turbo on it ? or does it have a wastegate, I have read that if it is a Varible vain turbo it doesnt need a wastegate, is this correct? the reason I am asking is becasue my dad thinks it might be a sticking wastegate, due to the intermitant flat spots.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts