Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, im planning on buying this ECU of jamie but ive just got a few questions first.

Will this 100% fit my car? (1998 MK4 TDI 90)

Will my engine cope with that much of an increase?

And finally i cant get my head around the fact that i can increase the BHP by approx 70 and not have to do any other mods? ie turbo, injectors, clutch, FMIC ect.

Im not trying to offend jamie or make him out as a lier, but he said it will go straight on without any other mods and will run fine, is that correct? as personally i wouldnt of thought that be the case.

Thanks Jack

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Congratulations you have just broken the world record for highest bhp increase from a remapped 90 bhp ecu.

From 90 to 160 bhp from that mod alone = im 100% confident its not going to happen that way if you buy it.

You dont need to worry about the engine coping with that sort of increase because that sort of increase is NOT going to happen from that mod alone.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I doubt you will get that sort of power with just the ecu. I dont know much about the diesels, but i think you will need a bigger turbo, injectors etc. Your better off getting your car remapped.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Bearing in mind this ECU has been mapped TO 160bhp. This does not mean that you will be able to get to this point as others say without supporting mods.

It simply means that the map has fueling and boost / timing data etc up to 160bhp, not that it is what you will get out of it by using the ECU alone.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Speaking from personal experience, a mapped 90 will give around 120 depending on the condition of your engine. Also, it don't matter what the ecu is mapped to, the turbo ain't big enough, the intercooler wouldn't cope, injecters aren't big enough, clutch would slip with that sort of increase, and many other problems.

The ecu could be mapped to 300 and it wouldn't make a difference. You'd have to replace the turbo - 500quid, get a fmic - 600quid, larger injecters - 100quid, Sachs updated clutch and flywheel - 800+quid. You may as well buy a gttdi mate.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok guys, thanks alot for all your input its now clear this is no good for me.

I plan on getting a 1.8t when i turn 21 anyways so dont want to go spending silly money and i thought it was to good to be true after seeing the norm 90 getting 117-120bhp max.

I mailed him saying ill have to upgrade the clutch, get a fmic ect and this is the reply i got ..

"no you wont need them it was running on a standard 90bhp gt tdi

The clutch will be fine as it isnt all low revs map it is all the way
through were as not bang straight away all power wheelspinnin etc

with regards to front mount no its not needed

Cheers Jamie"

I guess ill just stick with my 90 horses for now and look forward to getting more power when i get a 1.8t.

Again thanks all!

Jack

·
Registered
190 Posts
I wasn't aware that there was even a gttdi90 so god knows what he's on about, a standard gttdi110 wouldn't need a fmic I agree, as the intercooler is better than your tdi90 intercooler. So yes your car would need the fmic to get 160, but the gttdi wouldn't. A remap would cost you about 200 and you'd see nice gains, that's what I've done.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought it strange and had never heard of a gt 90 either, yeh ive looked into it many times but being right up in the north west there isnt many good mappers round here (that i know off) for the £200 mark, there was a place in lancaster but they were £365!!

Jack

·
Registered
190 Posts
I know its far, but r tech in leicester are brilliant, looking at 250 for the map, add 35quid for a pipercross panel filter and you'll be happy. I love mine, a lot quicker than when I bought it. Daz

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah i actually got in touch with r-tech but decided it was a bit to far, ive already got a pipercross panel filter and powerflow straight through exhaust to try and free the engine up a bit!

Jack

·
Registered
190 Posts
Tbh mate, there ain't much more you can do to your 90 without spending serious dollar. I have a 90 too so I know what you're going through. I would fully recommend r tech if you were willing to drive but that's down to you pal. How long til your 21? Daz

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah true, i might see if the missis is up for the trip sometime then i suppose its only a day and your there and back and its done.

im 21 in 17 months, i know its miles of but i started saving a while back and hopeing to get a really good one with low miles ect, thats if theres any about by then!

Jack

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ive got 2 years no claims, fully comp, 3 points (hence why im restricted to a 90) and its £1600 odd.

Jack

1 - 20 of 22 Posts