Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, i have recently had a 6hour trial on an APR remap, on my otherwise standard car. I liked it, car was quite a bit nippier (even though it felt like about 3 hours lol) It would be nice to go for a remap now but... is it better, do people think, to get a filter, exhaust and then go to stage 2 straight off? or, get Stage one, but exhaust etc the go for stage 2?

just wanted peoples views on this,

cheers

joN

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
.........Oh i was hoping to get back from work today and read all the interesting posts people have put about my question,lol ahh well

:(

joN

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Personally I would leave the remap for last.

Get your exhaust and filter and all sorted first, then remap. Of course, it depends on the remap your going for. If its just a generic remap it probably wont matter. But if its a custom, then definatley last.

The thing is, once you got the exhaust and everything on, you might wanna consider bigger turbo or something else. If the remap is already done, it'll most likley need done again for this change.

Just my 2 cents though...

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought about getting all the stuff first and then remapping, its just the cost of doing everything together!

Would it be possible to get a stage one, then all the bits and then a custom remap? or do you have to stick to the stage 2 of the stage 1 u have got....if that makes any sense?

joN

No-one else got a view on this? thought remap talk would be popular.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I ran with stage 1 for about 12 months, along with a aftermarket pannel filter and a cold air intake, then when funds allowed I upgraded to stage 2 and a full turbo back miltek system.[:D]

I suppose it's all about money.

Nothing wrong with just having one or the other till funds allow. It does depend a little on the choice of map though.

HTH

Carl

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That sounds like a plan actualy, but then you start looking at diferent maps and some are £100, £200, £300+ for stage 2 and then you see revo there for about £50 quid for stage 2! hmmm, which map did you go for Carl?

cheers

joN

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
wow, i dunno where you guys are seeing this, but I see that a remap costs £400-£500 wherever you go. Therefore, its best to do everything first, then go for the remap.

As such, I would go bigger turbo (if thats what your doing, k03s for couple hundred pounds, exhaust, etc...) first, then remap last. I totally wanna do remap first, instant 40 - odd BHP, but if it doesn't fully realise the potential of further mods (which any custom remap won't), then whats the point?

If, however, your going for a generic remap, then get one that provides for the mods your GONNA do. That way, you wont need to remap again once its all done. Might not be as good until all mods are done, but at least when they are done, it'll all work great...

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The prices i have seen and how i understand it is you get 40% off a stage 2 if you already have a stage one, still seems dear though for basically plugging your car into a computer for 10 minutes.

I would go straight to stage 2 with all the bits bought before hand but my cash flow at the moment just wont allow that, it may however be enough for stage one until i can buy all the other stuff, by which time i will be used to/bored of stage one. ?? maybe.

joN

·
Registered
621 Posts
That sounds like a plan actualy, but then you start looking at diferent maps and some are £100, £200, £300+ for stage 2 and then you see revo there for about £50 quid for stage 2! hmmm, which map did you go for Carl?

cheers

joN
I went along to Awesome and had the APR stage 1 re-map, then back for all the bits and APR stage 2. Give them a call or pop in and ask them, they are probably the best people to ask if it's APR your after. I can't comment on any other re-maps, other than upsolute, which my mate has. That is a very good map for the money (195 bhp, ish, but he has a AGU engine code, therefore is limited to the ammount of bhp that can be extracted, unless he fits a ko3s turbo) The APR map I have is very smooth and strong all the way through the rev range, I can still achieve a good mpg, if driven normally and I've not had any issues at all.

Stage 1 £450 (I think, as I actually paid £700, but that included cruise)

Stage 2 £145 or £752.78 including turbo back miltek

If you going to the Stockport meet http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/thread/676373.aspx I'll take you for a spin, unless you have had yours re-maped by then.

Carl

·
Registered
650 Posts
Hi mate , I got my car remapped about a month after buying my car in Nov 04 , it was done by Star Performance , asked for a reliable quite conservative upgrade as I would be using it most days and also the wife now and then . 200bhp 222lbft with peak boost only 15psi.Recently had Jetex turbo back exhaust fitted again at Star and asked for a slightly more aggressive map (stage2 or similar) .Jim at Star reckoned the original map even with the new mods would be fine after he looked at the map again.Now 215bhp/239lbft .The car will spin the tyres in 3rd on damp roads.The point i'm trying to make is a stage 1 remap might be fine for you if you try it first , other mods stil make the car better.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey, i know the stage one is good i had a bit of a taste of it, i was just thinking which is best getting this then buying each bit qand then getting a 2nd remap or buying all the bits and having it remapped straight to stage 2. Ive still not made up my mind which to do yet, the later is just a bit costly buying everything at once as i would like the car quicker now.

joN

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I didn't want to wait until I got milltek and everything before stage 2. I went stage 1 with Custom Code! and their upgrade path means I can go to stage 2 with 40% off! (£350 notes) Bargain! Gonna get a milltek, then get it back to JBS for the second installment! [:D]

Plus - give it a few months - you'll only want to go faster! 1 step at a time mate! Unless you're planning on getting Big Turbo!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well thats another step then isnt it? onto stage three, i wonder if you could go stage one, then buy loads of bits, exhaust race cat downpipe, CAI, TIP, bigger turbo FMIC etc and then go straight to stage 3 custom map??

gotta get that stage one though, i will be well chuffed with my car then as its still new to me, it will sort of renew the 'ive just bought a golf turbo' feelin, until i want to start modding it,.....if u get me

joN

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
yeah, I know what you mean. I still got that "Just got a GTi Turbo" feeling just now, adn am desperate for the remap.

I was gonna go straight for stage one, but then, since speaking to the guys at star performance, I'm wanting a k03s first. Just bought my Miltek (inc. downpipe and cat). I'm desperate for the remap, but then again, if its only a couple hundred quid for the k03, I can wait a while until one shows up, then go for the remap, although I am desperate for it now....

Dunno though. Maybe will just do the remap just now and forget about the bigger stuff until I leave uni and start working, lol. Unless anyone is selling their 03s???

·
Registered
447 Posts
This is what I would do and I know I'm right lol:

If you are planning to keep the stock turbo, or perhaps fit an eliminator kit from ATP, I would go with Revo every time. Extremely reputable company with tried and tested code. If you have DBW ko3s like me the gains are awesome. 210bhp just with stage 1 (£399.99+vat and there's always discounts going on at open days etc. I got 10% off at JKM on a promotion last year.). Then when you start modifying and get a turbo back exhaust, intake, 4 bar FPR and a dv you can upgrade to stage 2 for just £50+vat. This can see upto 240bhp and a Revo2 car has done 0-60 in 5.4secs timed. I believe there is also eliminator stage3 code which is 250+vat on top of stage2.

Do I sound like a Revo salesman? I'm not... I just run the code and think it's excellent.

If you're planning to go big turbo I would get on board with the main players, Jabbasport and JBS, also some interesting BT stuff just coming out from badger5... and I hear Star do good things too. You really need custom mapping for serious BT setups and Revo just doesn't offer this. Most of the successful BT cars at present run Jabbasport or custom-code ECUs from what I've seen Be prepared to pay big money.

So to sum up:

Revo - excellent value for money with no compromise on quality. Excellent code with cheap upgrade path... excellent if you plan to use the low cost ATP eliminator kits.

JBS/custom-code/Jabba/Star - get on board with these guys if you plan to get serious. I'm sure most of them will offer some sort of loyalty scheme for returning customers looking to go bigger and needing new mapping.

Sound about right guys?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good stuff, cheers for that summary mate. just about made my mind up, just need to save up some of that spendin stuff now.

joN

·
Registered
24 Posts
Cas above is absolutely correct.

Im going through the process at the moment at JKM :eek:)

Stage 1 revo is great for a standard car, it basically de-ristricts the engine and lets it run closer to its full potential with no extra add on shiny bits required.

Stage 2 (really) requires an exhaust, airfilter, 4bar fuel pressure regulator and an after market DV to run at its best. The most important thing to realise and as far as I can work out, the stage2 remap is designed/tailored around YOUR car and the way it behaves with the upgraded components added! So most will be a little bit different.

Im having a stage2 remap (£50) done this week, with a full milltek exhaust (incl cat & down pipe), a forge turbo intake hose and a 4bar fuel thingy being put on at same time, as air filter and DV already fitted...

Trouble is I was supposed to get a forge intercooler fitted too but this has been delayed, so when I get the intercooler fitted the 2nd stage will need to be tweaked again to get the full potential out of everything added.

So this confirms that you tweak the stage2 remap to what you have on your car, which hopefully explains a logical way to upgrade your car.

If I was you, get the stage1 revo now and have some fun. I dont know much about the other remaps but if they do cost hundreds then dont bother and go for the revo with a 50quid payout for stage2 its a no brainer!
(But then im sure someone will argue with me on that :eek:)

Then save for the upgrades ready for stage2 remap.

Hope this helps, I know how tricky it is ive been through it all in the last 2months with decisions hurting my head.

I just hope that the decision to go for a full stainless exhaust which doesnt stick out the back isnt going to come back and bite me on the arse :eek:) But then it does look standard so im gonna have me some fun hehe.

Laters and good luck,
Des.

PS - I will keep you updated on the stage3 as im looking into it at the moment. Heres some notes but im still a little vague on it at present.

Stage3 revo is completey customised to the turbo you have. Dont know what budget you have, but im looking at the KKK Eliminator which I believe is a straight swap for the standard KO3 turbo and will work with exhaust and manifold so ensure you try and future proof your decisions now or you will have to replace everything again later. You also need new injectors and atleast a 3" down pipe. Mr Ray West at West Tuning Thruxton, wont even touch your car with a turbo without the basic stage2 mentioned above completed, and I know I called him and made myself sound like a complete noobie, but he was very helpful.

To be honest I would look at brakes before going to stage3, its great going fast but if you cant stop when you start catching cars in front of you so bloody quick then your in a whole world of pain!
Im looking at TT upgrades which seem to be the cheapest way to get a good increase, but i like the sound of the seat leon 4pot brembo brake kit which apparently fits nicely on the golf, and are shiney red with brembo written on them :eek:)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cheers Des 4 that, you have given me a little more to think about now,lol i think im gonna go the stage one route for now. Ive just bought me an induction kit too.

infact first things first, i gotta sort these ARB's out, mine are rubbing because ive lowered it :(

joN

1 - 18 of 18 Posts