Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bit of a dilemma here,...need some help to make my mind up lads/ladies!.

Insurance is due in 2 weeks ,..Power hungry head says I can insure the 1.8T for ?550 if I have a remap,.(I have no other mods at the mo),. this would satisfy my immediate yearning for more power,.

,.....or with my sensible head on I think maybe its better to get the 18" RS4/6's I love the look of and get it lowered - insured for ?350 ,.. then its going to handle a lot better,. maybe enable me to drive it more confidently and quicker?,.(I hate the handling sometimes),.. then next year progress to a remap.

Basically one day its yeah! [:D] remap! ,. the next its hmmmmm [:|] wait another year until its looking nicer + handles better.

Cant decide,. which way would you go??,. In a perfect world I could afford to have remap/alloys/susp. all done at once ,. but its not perfect[:)]

·
Registered
829 Posts
You'd enjoy the extra power much more if you were able to use it with confidence.

I'd recommend suspension, 312mm front caliper carriers and discs, and decent wheels /tyres, pretty much in that order.[H]

HTH

Allan

·
Registered
361 Posts
Power is nothing without control.

1.) Make it stop , I agree the 312 mm calipers help in that department.

2.) Make it handle and go round bends quicker, -30 mm springs, possible damper upgrade and ARB

Then you can think about a remap.

This is the stage I am at now, but I still can't make my mind up whether to go for it or not.

I decided to get the Anniversary kit on first then maybe think again.

·
Vendor
1,459 Posts
Mmmm

Dilema indeed.

Of course I would say go for it , have the remap.

But is there a problem with the suspension ?

If you have problems with it now then yes would help to prepare.

Good luck in your mods.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont think the suspension is worn at all (cars only done 30k) ,. I just dont feel that confident with it sometimes around the twisty stuff..

·
Registered
361 Posts
I dont think the suspension is worn at all (cars only done 30k) ,. I just dont feel that confident with it sometimes around the twisty stuff..
Probably not worn, just standard, which isn't good for going around corners [:p]

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Remap and springs.

Eibach springs work OK with the stock shocks (as long as they are OK should be at 30K), on the brakes front yes you should sort those as well but extra power doesn't necessarily mean that you are going to drive any faster, you just get to that speed quicker.

I would do it in this order.

1. Eibach springs with the current shocks.

2. Remap.

3. 312mm brake upgrade

4. Add sports shocks to the springs.

5. Wheels.

6. ARB's to totally transform the handling.

6. Sports exhaust Turbo back - increases BHP and Turbo spools quicker.

7. Bodykit etc.

Of course that is purely IMHO.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Whatever you do, dont get the revo trial unless you are definitely gonna get it afterwards, my car has never run the same since the trial, no one knows why, even phoned revo themselves.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Whatever you do, dont get the revo trial unless you are definitely gonna get it afterwards, my car has never run the same since the trial, no one knows why, even phoned revo themselves.
That is unusual, have you tried to reset on the ECU so that it looses all adaption that was learnt with the trial code on.

The other possibility is that the extra boost from the trial code found a weakness in your car, i.e. boost hoses, DV, intercooler etc.

·
No more Mods....Yeah right !
1,444 Posts
I'd say sort your suspension out first inc a rear ARB. Then get your 18" rims. This will bring a big smile to your face each time you drive your car because the handling will be totally different to what you've got now. The 18" rims will take care of the looks. This should keep you satisfied for a good while. ----Then get your remap.[:D]

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Thats because the ECU isnt left in the exact state it was in before the trial.
So, be careful with regards to insurance.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmm,. cheers for the replies chaps,... I think ive pretty much made up my mind to go for the wheels + suspension kit [:D] ,

·
Registered
792 Posts
Thats because the ECU isnt left in the exact state it was in before the trial.
So, be careful with regards to insurance.

I heard about this garyM, I took it back to the REVO dealer and had the ECU flashed and the original put back,

Had the DV and the MAf checked and theres no error codes either.

Just a warning to people!

Heres a chart off the vag com, blue line shows what engine is doing, red line shows what power it should be doing, taken whilst car on a run.

Posted Image

Heres another graph showing boost requested (red) against boost produced(black

Posted Image

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
oooohhhhhhhh, dilema indeed. Go for wheels and spenny and it may be "all show no go!"

I would do remap. Brakes are well up to it in good nick, and suspension /tyres are up to 200 hp if you are not too silly with it!!!

Pleanty of poor handling cars out there with near same power! A new rear ARB would be my first mod after remap on a budget. Tightens the car up on sotck suspension quite well.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Thats really worrying...I wonder if anyone else has found this?

It is possible that you think the car could be different after getting used to the power, then going back to stock, it would feel like the car was lacking. "Was my car really this slow?"

Just a thought.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts