Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Remap for 130tdi???

Mk4 Golf 
Tags
mk4 golf
2K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  myk3 
#1 ·
Hello,

I've been toying with the idea of getting my golf 2001 130 GTTDI remapped since i bought it. I was looking at the stage 2 revo with exhaust, to give the best returns, and also liked the idea of switching it from stock to remapped. But looking round now this seems to have been superceeded by custim code, and no mention of the exhaust, or am i not looking in the right places? With so many diffrent products on the market how can i be sure to get value for money?

What would be the best remap for my car? I'm getting a little confused with it all!

Thanks.

#2 ·
There are many choices depending on your budget with gains of upto 40hp T.U.V from ?225 - ?600.

I am unfamiliar with the switchable systems as i really cant see the point in them to be honest (not slating them, i just dont understand why)

Its a buyers market for sure and the choices are endless.

I am yet to see any real gains from exhausts on the diesels but again, im not saying there not there but in my opinion, a remap will yield all the customer wants at an affordable price.

#3 ·
I've got about a thousand pounds to spend. From what i can remember the exhaust was supposed to give an extra 10hp! but at your prices and from what you say i'm temped to go for the chipped uk solution. But why is there such a differnce in price, basically your all doing the same thing? is there any diffrence in the software/development?

#4 ·
The difference in price is down to how the remap is bought.

98% of remapping companies in the UK buy there remaps from other countries, mainly germany or through a third party so a few people are taking a slice of the cost.

In our case this isnt so as i personally write all the files myself meaning that appart from the years of training and costs of the softwares i dont pay subscriptions to a third party which boosts my costs.

I am able to then pass on the savings to my customers who receive quality remaps at an affordable price.

#6 ·

98% of remapping companies in the UK buy there remaps from other countries, mainly germany or through a third party so a few people are taking a slice of the cost.

In our case this isnt so as i personally write all the files myself meaning that appart from the years of training and costs of the softwares i dont pay subscriptions to a third party which boosts my costs.

I am able to then pass on the savings to my customers who receive quality remaps at an affordable price.
Hi Custom-Code Phase 2 is done in THIS country.

We do NOT subscribe to anyone else.

We DO NOT do Custom Codes on the rolling road.

Phase 2 Custom-Code takes a day and a half to do and is done from scratch with our mapper.

He will spend as long as it needs to write the code from scratch.

He will then NOT stop until he feels that he has achieved the BEST remap for you car the way YOU want it to be.

If I can assist anyone then I can be called on 01246 455004 then if you are still not 100% convinced I could always get you to speak to our mapper then he can run through any issues that you have or even specifics that you want.

Sarah

#7 ·
Hello,

I've been toying with the idea of getting my golf 2001 130 GTTDI remapped since i bought it. I was looking at the stage 2 revo with exhaust, to give the best returns, and also liked the idea of switching it from stock to remapped. But looking round now this seems to have been superceeded by custim code, and no mention of the exhaust, or am i not looking in the right places? With so many diffrent products on the market how can i be sure to get value for money?

What would be the best remap for my car? I'm getting a little confused with it all!

Thanks.
Reason they don't talk about the exhaust is probably because on a TDI it doesn't make much difference at all. For your engine maybe 2-3bhp tops. I've heard a lot of good reports about a rocketchip 2 and injectors. Should bump you up to about 180-190.
Baz

#8 ·

Hi Custom-Code Phase 2 is done in THIS country.

We do NOT subscribe to anyone else.

We DO NOT do Custom Codes on the rolling road.

Phase 2 Custom-Code takes a day and a half to do and is done from scratch with our mapper.

He will spend as long as it needs to write the code from scratch.

He will then NOT stop until he feels that he has achieved the BEST remap for you car the way YOU want it to be.

If I can assist anyone then I can be called on 01246 455004 then if you are still not 100% convinced I could always get you to speak to our mapper then he can run through any issues that you have or even specifics that you want.

Sarah
I understand what your saying but this doesnt alter the fact about what i said above, I am 100% accurate with the comments about almost all people in the uk using geenric files from outside the UK, of this there is no doubt.

Also, without wanting to argue in any way, there is no need to map from scratch, this is a waste of time for you and the customer as you only need a setting file to start from and an emulator system.

With this car you can alter the following.

Fuel part

Fuel full

Boost limit

Boost pressure

Torque limiter

Smoke limiter

RPM increase

EGR valve control

Injection period

Injection correction

Specific air mass flow quantity

Overboost timing

I am in no way knocking your work and as you say, you map each car yourself which is (in my opinion) the only proper way to do it.

#9 ·
REVO, JBS and Chipped UK build their code in the UK and probably some others do too. That's cool. Let's all wave Union Jacks.

Sarah has a good point here, your comments smack of knocking the opposition, you don't do that, it's unprofessional.

I think Sarah gave the first direct comment to a post from you from one of the other tuners, we've sat back and watched and not added to the fire when you were being unfairly rubbished, we don't do that.

If you're good, people will come to you via recommendation and from what I've heard so far, you will be successful. But you don't need to tread on other tuner's hard earned reputations to get there.

We wish you well.

#10 ·
You have TOTALLY missunderstood me.

I wasnt knocking anyones work, i was simply pointing out to make sure you get a proper remap and not a cheap generic file and trust me, my guestimate wont be far off the mark i assure you, almost all tuners in the uk use generic files and dont even know what an emulator is.

I am not in any way knocking sarah and as i stated above, there methods are the only ones i would chose if i were a customer.

I even sent her a pm to explain this.

#11 ·
Well i don't think there was any cause for concern i asked a question and he answered it honestly.

Sarah, what preformance inprovements does the custom code offer? my cars a 130 2001 gt tdi. Was you guys who were, or maybe still do, offer the revo software? this is where my confusion began! maybe you can shed some light on the exhaust?

#14 ·
This is what many people say when there car is mapped by people who know little to nothing about ecu`s leaving the cars either unstartable because they have buggered the codes or with blown turbo`s/headgaskets through stupid boost.

Its odd how my comments have been taken out of context especially as sarah has confirmed my views in the fact this is how they do there work so lets get to the point here.

a question was asked.

i answered it

another dealer has confirmed my answer was the best (otherwise surely they wouldnt opt for the same method)

#15 ·
Morning...

Not getting at anyone in the slightest (too much of that already), but as far as I know Custom-Code

phase 1 (which presumably is by far the biggest seller) is generic, as is the Revo Stage 1...

Hundreds (Thousands?) of happy people on this forum alone with these generic maps on their cars...

As I said, not getting at anyone, and good luck...

Chris

#16 ·
Again, I do feel that my comments have been taken out of context.

I took it uponmyself to beleive that most people on this forum would have previously checked out who does good/bad work so my points were not associated with traders on this forum as it wouldnt take long for the word to get out should they do bad maps.

My point was at the many hundreds YES HUNDREDS of people in the uk selling crap and calling it a remap.

Now i would think that if you asked any tuner on this forum, they would all have at some point come accross remaps that were awefull to the point of being unsafe and dangerous.

There are people offering generic files on cd`s and others willing to sell them.

it was to this end i am giving a warning.

If people have taken offence at my warning then fine.

I would rather upset a thousand people than see one person with a dead engine.

Many people on these forums spend all they have on there car and a dead engine or broken components would be something they couldnt afford to fix so i feel i am doing a good thing by warning people of the dangers.

And please, PLEASE, accept that the warning wasnt to the sellers of the branded remaps or work by the established firms.

#17 ·
Hi

The problem is that on this forum I do not think that you will find the people that remap and run.

We all are here just about full time and are concerned by what the people say.

This is a public forum so we can be contacted.

I think that YES people do need to be aware of the dodgy remaps but the way to do this is to advise and not preach.

But then we have had problems with other mappers but have NOT gone on to the public forums shouting about it as we find this to be very unproffesional.

You will have to do the same as us , bite your tongue I am afraid.

If you want to get on on this and any other forum you cannot go slating.

Sarah

#18 ·
Hi

I am afraid we do not offer revo anymore.

We offer Custom-Code.

www.custom-code.co.uk

Phase 1 Custom-Code for your car is a superb remap.

I have asked the question about the exhaust.

Yes this will give you imorovement to the bhp and would be greatly improved with the front pipe or decat.

It is always worth getting the downpipe and system together.

With diesels if you was to look at the exhaust it could even be worth looking in to the Phase 2

This as I have said is a total CUSTOM remap and will take in to account things like the exhaust and then it could be mapped to the way you would like it to run.

Sarah

#19 ·
Hi

The problem is that on this forum I do not think that you will find the people that remap and run.

We all are here just about full time and are concerned by what the people say.

This is a public forum so we can be contacted.

I think that YES people do need to be aware of the dodgy remaps but the way to do this is to advise and not preach.

But then we have had problems with other mappers but have NOT gone on to the public forums shouting about it as we find this to be very unproffesional.

You will have to do the same as us , bite your tongue I am afraid.

If you want to get on on this and any other forum you cannot go slating.

Sarah
Well put Sarah!

#22 ·
How else can you repair a dead ecu ?

The ecu in question went to what was supposed to be a reputable dealer and they flashed the wrong file rendering the car unstartable.

The only way to repair this is to remove the psop which we have done, reflash it and solder back onto the board.

Its not a normal dip but still, its deffo a chip.

Posted Image

This is the downside to some of the outfits uploaded maps without knowing what there doing.

This is unusual as it was from a reputable company but on an average week we fix 2.

#23 ·
Again, I do feel that my comments have been taken out of context.

My point was at the many hundreds YES HUNDREDS of people in the uk selling crap and calling it a remap.

Now i would think that if you asked any tuner on this forum, they would all have at some point come accross remaps that were awefull to the point of being unsafe and dangerous.

There are people offering generic files on cd`s and others willing to sell them.

it was to this end i am giving a warning.

If people have taken offence at my warning then fine.

I would rather upset a thousand people than see one person with a dead engine.
your not someone who would slag someone else off ?

also im am not aware that any member on this forum has had a blown engine due to a 'crap' map as you say.

keep digging those holes and eventually you wont be able to climb out.

honestly

#24 ·
So you seriosuly have never heard of a dead engine or engine damage due to a bad map ?

Likewise you have never heard of a dead ecu due to a bad map ?

Let me explain,

1) Engine.

It is easy to add 2000mb of pressure via the turbo map, run this and your engine dies.

2) ECU.

It is easy to kill an ecu by uploading the wrong map, the immobiliser kicks in, locks you out and the car dont start.

Ok, so you think im digging a hole, i dont really care, my advice is 100% correct and any dealer here, including sarah is fully aware of what i am saying and more so has come accross it many times.

I would rather piss you off than see people with damaged cars.

I dont mind if i put people off using ChippedUK with my comments as these are not the types of customers i want.

The customers i want and prefer are the type who check the work out thoroughly of everyone in the trade, looks at what they offer, looks at past history, looks at the way they treat there customers both before and after they have had work done.

This way, i know they are genuine, have an understanding of what they want and the end result is a happy customer who feels fully satisfied with the work and treatment recieved.

I know you cant please everyone i aim to please as many people as possible.

People like the fact that when they deal with me they get to speak to someone who is doing the programming, there able to ask and request the type of map they want.

This way they play a part in the whole experience and feel they have done something instead of paying cash and taking what comes.

I stick by my original comment.

98% of uk tuners use generic files not written for each specific engine.

My suggestiong is for you people as customers to simply ask if this is what your getting when you have your cars done.

I dont care if you all use sarah, it is clear her company do the work the correct way and in my opinion, there really is only the one way to do this work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.