Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in two minds about re-maps. I'm not a mechanic, or a software engineer, so... feel free to correct me. :)

On one hand, people rave about taking the 130 PD up to 180hp (or there abouts) with a *Insert Company Name Here* remap. From what I gather, it's a generic 'map' that they use and they flash your ECU with it.

Drive in, plug in, drive out.

Now, I hear from other (vastly more experienced, than I) people that ideally, a re-map should follow other modifications such as an upgraded turbo, IC, internals, etc... to get the fuel/air mixture correct for given RPM and all that sort of stuff.

These brain-boxes also tell me that, basically, a generic map just increases the fueling and turbo PSI giving you One-Hundred-And-Whatever Horse-power with no thought on the state of the engine, internals, clutch, etc...

So, what's your opinions or thoughts on generic re-maps?

I love the idea of drive-in-drive-out-swipe-your-debit-card-and-here's-50hp-thank-you-very-much remaps, but are they really any good for your engine, driving-style and all those other important considerations?

I, for example, will do 35,000 miles a year. Economy at 60-70mph is my thing. If someone could sell me a 7th gear for my TDI I'd snap their arm off. If I go along with the garages bumf, they claim better economy and more power... So would £400 be worth a generic re-map that will boost my power and save me fuel when I'm cruising at 2,000 RPM for 6 hours at a time?

And, what's the point in a £400 generic re-map, if you can get these on eBay for £90? What's the real difference?

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
the problem you have is there is also a massive degree of difference between 'generic maps' yes some just do boost, while others go into fuel,timing, throttle etc

generic maps mean that they are simply installed, i do custom code generic maps, i can instantly make it custom by aletering a few tiny perametres that would make a tiny bit off difference this is then totally custom to the car,

stage one generic is pretty much simular across the board, some have more torque others more bhp,

stage two is the one that alters with the mods you have... for increase performance

as for the link most tuning boxes are nothing more than a resistor, there are ones that connect to the fuel rail sensor and fool the ecu to increase fuel pressure etc, but still no where near a good map

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
just to add,

when some one goes for a remap, be it a poor one or the best money can buy, 9/10 they will not know if its good or bad, all they will feel is an increase of performance, so to them the map has worked, now go into it and you could be running silly boost with no fueling in turn destroying the engine etc

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Well if you are gonna get it chipped, you might aswell do it right and get a custom/tailor made remap done.

Nick @ R-tech is one such guy that can do this for you.

Whilst there is nothing wrong with a 'generic' map as such, I mean every car that left the VW factory runs a 'generic' map. Think about it!

But if you are gonna spend the money, get Nick at R-tech to do you a custom remap. He'll be taking into account your needs, and your cars current parts to make the most of what YOU want. Plugs in sensors, laptops and gets the car on the rolling road to set up all the parameters. Arguably money better spent than an off the shelf generic map.

He remapped my diesel Fabia (PD100 engine) and got it to make more usable power and produce no additional smoke under full acceleration. MPG went up from 45mpg to 55-60mpg on the motorway.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There's a 'Generic Map' and there's a 'Generic Map Produced By The 3rd Largest Car Company In The World'. Think about it!

I still dunno. Has anyone actually looked at the map and instructions produced my them and been of sufficient learning to interpret whether it's good or bad?

My local garage has advised me to go and get a stage 1 map by JBS (just 200 yards down the road from me!) as it's apparently going to get me another 5-10MPG per tank - I do a lot of miles each week and need all the MPG I can get (currently getting 72MPG out of the Bora!) - plus all that extra power.

I just have the sneaking suspicion that VW compromised power/economy to allow great longevity and these generic remaps go solely for power/economy without long-term testing of extra wear on the engine.

·
Registered
160 Posts
when i was looking to do a remap i found that JBS charge a hell of a lot more than anyone else, but the figures they quote are exactly the same as the other, smaller companies.

seriously, go to rtech in hinkley, leicestershire. They charged me 200 for the map (JBS's custom code phase 1 is about 330 if i remember right!), and i got a healthy 201 bhp and said that it shouldnt do any long term damage to the engine. iirc most vag 1.8t engines can handle up to and around 350 bhp without too much trouble.

now i havnt looked at the maps in detail, but nick at rtech has had 15 years experience doing it and to be honest, i trust his judgement!

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
My thought on generic '1 map for all' maps is why bother when custom maps exist.

I personally would never use a pre set flash map offered by ANY tuning company, i just dont see any logical reason to get a remap of this type when for around the same money (or a little extra) i can have a fully custom map.

Im not saying generic maps are bad for your engine, not at all. Im just saying whats the point when you can get a custom map thats tailored to your engine and your personal requirements.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts