Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i been thinking of getting a personal plate , but at 35 k i wont be getting my name lol

but spotted one letter + my birth year and initials for ?500 do you think they are worth it

also whats the best sticky pads to use to stick the plates on ,

and i know people have dif styles of writting on there plates , can we still get away with fancy writting or have they clamped down on it

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
My Honest Opinion - ?500 for somethnig thats loosly connected is a waste of time.

If I were to get a plate it would have to spell somethnig out, But each to theri own I guess.

My Old car used to have a private plate "S* RGL" I presume the RGL stood for "Reginald George Locker" The previous owner of the car, Ment nothing to me, Depends what your getting the plate for, For attention? i dont know, I know Merc/Beemer drives buy "Private Plates" to make it look like they are driving newer car than it actually is as the body changes between years are fairly subtle.

Just my thoughts, Also on the fonts/typeset its a ?30 fine. I wouldnt only change mine if I had a bad reg plate from the DVLA for example I saw a car with the last three letters of the plate "GAY" that would have to be changed.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I cant stand personal plates, my veiw is your car already comes with a plate so why would anyone want to spend hundreds/thousands on antother one[:^)]

Some PP's do look good, but I just wouldnt waste my money one one.....

·
Registered
258 Posts
I've got slightly different font to the standard and my car passed the MOT, it looks different but not much. It's like most things, depends how subtle it is and how you show it of...

... Like if you have all round tints and drive like a **** their going to do you in the end

·
Registered
752 Posts
I cant stand personal plates, my veiw is your car already comes with a plate so why would anyone want to spend hundreds/thousands on antother one[:^)]

Some PP's do look good, but I just wouldnt waste my money one one.....
Ah well, maybe I won't come to the meet on Sunday .. [;)] [:D]

·
Registered
476 Posts
Only worth what people will pay - if you think ?500 offers something personal to you, then go for it.

We've got one just now, the wifes 'nickname', before that (like March this year) we had a JIL xxxx plate (her name suprise, surprise)

Mine went for a fortune years back, and i wouldn't pay it anyway (CRA1G), I would put ?700 limit for us. The plate won't mean much to most, but that's the idea, it's 'personal' to her/us. I am also undfer the thumb hence getting her name LOL.

As for sticking on. We had the plates on and off plenty this last year and use Halfrauds stickers and not had any probs. (bout 2 quid or something)

As for legality with fonts/spacing, well we had the plate spaced as one word J11XXX but changed it about 2 months back, never got pulled or anything, but just got nervous with the bacon boys sitting behind me at lights etc - personally can do without the risk for all it is. The J11 we are lucky as there isn't a lot in the spacing when it's legal anyway with having the '1''s if that makes sense.

Fancy buying a JIL plate Jason, i think it would suit really good LOL. Go on.........

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well theres some mixed views regarding this , and as for the name i wont be splashing out 35 k

i even thought of reversing my name but even that comes in expensive so initials was a possible , i will have to have a think about it lol

thanks for letting me know about the stickie things i shall get them at the weekend , and i might change the style of righting im not sure yet , was only going to do that as i wana loose the 2 holes in each plate i have

lol i dont think JIL Would suit me lol

anyone wana buy FNZ **** plate lol

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
I have 'V5 TGN'. V5 being the engine and TGN being the first owners initials.

I'm thinking of changing it to R5 YGD but I probably wont bother, and it would be spaced R5Y GD, ie RAY Graham David.

I like having a private plate, kind of adds something to the car.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I think personal plates are cool if they mean something to you. Most of the personal plates on the road mean nothing to anyone else, but why buy something for the benefit of somebody else?

What I don't like though is the illegal spacing, misshaping of letters or adding of about 20 screws just to make something look vaguely like something else. That looks totally naff and a bit "fake Rolex" IMO.

My plate has my initials on and I like it. It adds the finishing touch to a nice car IMO. I bought it for myself and nobody else so I couldn't give a toss if people don't like it or don't know what it means. It wasn't the plate I wanted, but my first 2 choices had already been sold and the one I really, really want is ?8495[:(]

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Real differing views on the PPs here then!

I've had mine 2 years now 'S1R SS' as you obviously knew and am so glad I got it! It adds a bit more personality to my car too!

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Theres a guy i know whos selling the the plate T14E VW but the 4's been modifed like this below... he wants ?1000 for it [:O]

Posted Image

quick paint job lol, it looks better in the flesh, i do think that
personalised plates look good like sonnys got his name on his plate and
thats just the ultimate in my books beats having initials.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Jason you can get V16 JDB for ?399 all in shame the V6 is not available tho!

edit:

And

J40 DUB - ?250

M19 DUB ?250 Could say My Dub ????

M99 DUB ?250 " "

There are loads on DVLA site can pick up one for ?250

Think its better to get your initials as you keep it for any car you
have the car related ones are'nt worth keeping and you sell with the
car so not a great investment.

[:)]

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

edit:

And

J40 DUB - ?250
M99 DUB ?250 " "

Think its better to get your initials as you keep it for any car you have the car related ones are'nt worth keeping and you sell with the car so not a great investment.

aw i think i better go take another look on the reg site [;)]

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts

edit:

And

J40 DUB - ?250
M99 DUB ?250 " "

Think its better to get your initials as you keep it for any car you have the car related ones are'nt worth keeping and you sell with the car so not a great investment.

aw i think i better go take another look on the reg site [;)]
Thought you guys might have fun with that!

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well theres a V6 0 DUB LOL

Just found this

NO53J DB [:)] 900

its jason backwards so will read good in a mirror and my forum name and my initial the right way round lol

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I personally think that plates personalised to the car are a much better idea, might even up the resale value of your car. Mine has X* DUB (dont really know why i bothered with the * cos u can all see my plate in the pic!) and i love it. It was put on by the previous owner and to be honest i wouldnt have bothered doing it myself but now its on i think its great [:)]

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.