Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1.8t Bora
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thought id post up my 'daily'. This is my factory 1.8t AUM reflex silver bora, had it for around a year now after coming from the mk2-mk3 platform this was a bit of a learning curve with the electical issues.
I brought it completely standard ( with the exception of a beetle silicone tip which was missing a inlet for the n249, fake forge 007 which had a crazy strong gate spring ,a questionable CDA style filter and a non functioning early 2000s kenwood double din) with the intention of cleaning it up and giving it thet oem+ touch

Cloud Car Sky Plant Vehicle registration plate

I brought it from a HGV yard manager who was a fellow VW enthusiast which had oven this for a few years prior making me the 3rd owner(i think) . It was his workhorse and this was evident, the car was showing its age and was needing alot of love.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gesture Engineering Automotive exterior
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

First thing i did was remove horrible engine bay parts and treated it to some Forge goodness, reverted back to a OEM airbox with a high flow filter, all vacuum leaks adressed and a full service. This sorted all the rough running issues and the strange flutter like it had a dump valve. The first mods i did was sort out the interior, although i liked the original sport seats i found out how cheap highline heated leathers were going so i managed to strike a deal with a friend to trade and give him a bit of money. Along side i had already got the Kurfatec loom on order from germany.
Next up i was given a free V5 4motion from my friend Matthew which started the mods to the exterior.
Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

Since i had already got the v5 rear valance it only made sense to find a front splitter which i managed to source from around the london area. This was a big one for me because i hate the original mk4 era splitters which just disapear from underneath the bumper making the car look very understated.
Cloud Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Sky Plant

Once i had fitted the splitter i decided to spray the rear valance and get that fitted. However once i had that on i realise how the rear lights sorely let the car down so i picked up some genuine Hella USDM rear 'candy canes'. This was a turning point from it just being a daily workhorse to a nicer car so to speak.
I then decided i had enough of the barge steering so suspension was next on the list. I found a set of 2nd hand low mileage ST suspension coilovers for the same price on eBay as Stance+ which i dispise so it was a no brainer. When i collected them i realised i was talking to Jamie Simms whos been notorous with PVW so it was an eye opener to talk to him for a few hours.
Along with the coilovers i decided to renew the front end a little, Polybush arb bushings, Audi tt ARB with adjustable droplinks to attatch to the strut,Poly control arm bushings , new ball joints,Poly topmounts and coilover socks(personal fav ;))
With the new suspension i brought some new wheels, BBS RC336 from up Blackpool , they were in rough shape so i had them restored and powdercoated.
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Sky Cloud
Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood

My next mod was some creature comforts so i installed a new JVC touchscreen double din, installed rear speakers as it wasnt speced being a ST model, along with a reverse camera with help from Adam-.
Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Light Tread Motor vehicle Camera lens

Attachments

·
Registered
1.8t Bora
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After this i was speaking to my freind down south Nick who owns Wrights Restorations, he has all the contacts for importing parts from around then world. I had found a geniune ABT grill in mid germany on the german ebay. I however couldnt make a account and had no way to contact the seller so i left it to him and he managed to get it sent over
Automotive parking light Grille Car Automotive lighting Hood
Motor vehicle Grey Audio equipment Gas Bumper
Sky Car Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel
Light Nature Grass Gas Font

I then resprayed it as it unfortunately satin silver, along with a set of electric Stubby mirrors along with Blue glass.
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

I also had a custom exhaust made up cat back, this was a massive improvement from the previous owner. Unfortunately the shop i had it made at did a terrible job of it all so ive had constant issues with it breaking mounts. This will be fixed in the next month hopefully from a friend whos making a new setup with new oem mounts and a poly mount i made myself.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I was happy with the front end after the grill and stubbys however i felt like i was let down with the numberplate in the rubstrip. Due to this i decided to make my own smooth rubstrip.
Automotive parking light Car Tire Vehicle Grille
Plant Grass Groundcover Grass family Lawn

This was done by taking a rear rubstrip from a bora in a scrappy, cut the ends of both rubstrips adn offer it up after measuring 20 times. Thankfully it lined up first time so i used my plastic welder and filler to bridge the gaps and give it strength.
Sky Plant Building Wood Rectangle
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Car seat cover Steering wheel

This was a big project for me as i never used a plastic welder before but it was so easy id definetly reccommend it to people. I also made a deal with a friend Steve to trade my highline leathers for heated leather recaros. This was a massive change to the interior which was a must.

·
Registered
1.8t Bora
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After doing all this front end work i finally found a set of genuine Xenons. These were a year searching none stop as i found the standard headlights sucked tbh.
Grille Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Luggage and bags

This particular set are a set of gen 2 Bosch housings with all of the internals converted to the later AL parts which was a headscratcher to everone i spoke to. The lenses were cloudy as, tabs broken and bulbs popped so i knew i had to fully restore them. I had a OEM tab repair kit sent by my friend Kallum , split the headlights all the way down so i could sand, polish and lacquer the lenses. I also had all the bulbs replaced, Philips Xenon X-treme Vision gen2 HID Car Headlight Bulb D2S for the projectors and LEDs for the full beam. I also installed a USDM kit from @USDM_UK since it was all out of the way.
Table Plant Furniture Property Tableware
Plant Hood Light Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Car Vehicle registration plate Sky Cloud Vehicle
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Sky

Ive also done some more mods to the engine bay, all towards getting it remapped at some point in the future. These include a ProRam airfilter and heatshield, Cloude 9 oil catch can along with pcv simplification,uprated audi tt diverter valve, all along with some maintance such as FPR,fuel hoses, pcv system, coilpacks,Nuespeed caps and a Porsche oilcap.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive air manifold Automotive exterior

·
Registered
1.8t Bora
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Wheel Tire Car Automotive side marker light Vehicle
Wheel Car Plant Tire Vehicle
Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle Land vehicle Vehicle registration plate
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

Ive done loads of other mods which i just couldnt list out but any other recommendations of what i could do next would be great, my next on the list is big brakes front and back along with a front mount intercooler ready for a remap. Also thinking about some interior lighting mods such as the ambient lighting handle mod aswell as a footwell lights if anyone has any reccomended guides or parts. I'm also on the look out for a roof spoiler if anyone knows of any

·
Registered
1.8t Bora
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some more work done today, decided to sound deaden my boot and rear arches . Happy with the results and is noticeably from first start up
Window Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive design

·
Registered
1.8t Bora
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A little more works been done recently , I found this oettinger spoiler on Facebook marketplace for silly cheap so I had to snag it up and get it fitted, really happy how it came out as It was sprayed with 5 half cans of paint😂. I've also fitted a genuine VW Motorsport gearknob, this is a more 90s piece but it's a universal fitment so it worked with no issues, has an engraving with the name 'Mc Kita' and if love to find some info about it if anyone knows. Lastly my next plans are to get my 312mm brakes fitted upfront after I've chosen my disks and pads I'll go for, usdm center console and boot lid. If anyone knows of some genuine gli splitters drop me a pm as I'm on the lookout
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Gear shift Car Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle

Automotive parking light Car Tire Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

Grey Wood Font Twig Electric blue

Attachments

·
Registered
1.8t Bora
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got 3 weeks off ATM so getting a lot of jobs done , first ups what I've been waiting for for ages, usdm rear center console. I also brought the usdm handbrake aswell so save any modifications to an rhd one . Then all I did is swap over the handbrake cover to an anniversary one I had saved . The fuel switch wires were routed underneath all the carpet giving an extra 6-7 inches to save and extending of the original harness
Motor vehicle Product Automotive design Automotive tire Car

·
Registered
1.8t Bora
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Car Vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive mirror

Also fitted some black grab handles out of a Skoda Fabia vrs, only difference I found was the alignment pegs but that was quickly resolved with some pliers 🤫 just need to find some black light up sunvisors, and map lights and it's basically completed then

·
Registered
1.8t Bora
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Been a busy couple days for me,i finally got around to fitting my frontmount intercooler. I decided to go for a Toyosport single pass kit as it was within budget, however it was alot more difficult than it should of been.
I first started by trimming the crashbar 3mm across the length of it.
Grille Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tire
Grille Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design

After this i trimmed the core support using my dremmel inorder to allow the core to sit as far back as possible. I only did this to the size of
the core to make sure it kept its function of directing the air efficently. Cuts were made to allow the endtanks of the core and horizontally to let the core sit back.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Grille

Next was to make the brackets , i did this using some 1mx30mm angle iron from B&Q. They were 90mmx30mm with 10mm holes drilled in. then i painted them using my favourite wrinkle black which was advantagous as then metal was so hot from the grinder and drilling it helped it set quickly.
Road surface Asphalt Wood Grey Rectangle

With the brackets made up was now time to mount the core. I had to use 7 washers inorder to raise the core high enough to avoid excessive cutting on the bumper.
Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood

Next is the horrible bit, the pipework. First off the piepwork in my kit was very wrong in some places, requires alot of bending if youve got Xenon headlights just like me. The hardpipe which runs from the throttle body to the first bend has to be flattened significantly inorder to fit between the xenon ballast and the washer bottle.
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle

In addition to the denting of the hard pipe, the core support needed 2inches cutting out to allow the map sensor to fit in underneath the headlight.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Fender

With the cold side plumbed up , next was the hot side. Modifications were made to the horn brackets to sit further up and more flush to the chassis to allow room for the U Bend.
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

I Found it easiest to fit the Ubend first, followed with the longer pipe and the 90 already attatched as it gets very tight between the fan support and the battery.
Hood Motor vehicle Light Automotive fuel system Automotive design

After that was to fit the final 2 pipes ofwhich stepdown to 50mm. I had to fit these pipes the opposite way to which they should run because one of the pipes was 3 inches too long . In the future im going ot get these two pipes remade into one longer pipe reducing the potential foor boost leaks and to relocate the outlets for the diverter valve and the n249 to teh opposite side so to have a smoother path.

Attachments

·
Registered
1.8t Bora
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finishing the install ,it turned out well considering it was a kit , just letdown with the hardpipe situation.
Vehicle Automotive parking light Grille Hood Automotive lighting
Automotive parking light Hood Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Automotive parking light Car Tire Grille Vehicle
Car Motor vehicle Vehicle registration plate Grille Vehicle
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper
Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Sky Car Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1.8t Bora
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Been making the most of this heatwave with a bit of spray painting. I've been after some aluminium trim for the interior for ages but they're alway out of reach with my tight budget so I decided to use on of the space netoptic trim sets I've saved from the scrappy and spray them.
Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Car Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Road surface Bumper Automotive exterior Motor vehicle

Car Vehicle Sky Motor vehicle Hood

Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle door

Car Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Plant

Vehicle Mirror Motor vehicle Car Steering part

Car Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle Steering part

I found that the passenger door handles can be split down if your very gentle which makes spraying it safer. While it was all apart I also reparaged the outer handle trim with some satin black I had to get. Rid of the nasty remains of soft touch which plagues these cars 😂. I'm really chuffed with the outcome tbf, I think if the car wasn't reflex silver in the first place then colour coding the trim would look out of place but it's alot nicer than before hand

1 - 15 of 15 Posts