Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what the red I denotes on some Golf GTI cars and which cars have the red I ???

Cheers,

Sav.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Red I = 20vt

Silver I = 2.0 non turbo

thats how it should be anyway.

dont know about all the different diesel ones tho

·
Registered
131 Posts
some 150pd's i saw before i got mine came with all silver GTI..some had GT and a red I and mine came with all red TDI >when i enquired as to why so different the dealer told me what ever stock they had it got ?sounds about right

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
The badge colour mean nothing. When the cars are built they are badgeless. The colours are just luck of the draw. i have 20v turbo with a silver badge, my friend has an identical car with a red i badge.

·
Registered
383 Posts
The red i started off indicating that it was the 1.8t engine. the silver i being for the 2ltr non turbo gti.

Then, they decided due to the power to give the red i to the 150tdi and the 1.8t just got the silver i.

Early red i's are 1.8ts and the latter ones 03 plate on ( i think) the red i is the 150tdi.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Zekegti ir right .

When the cars are shipped over from Europe they have just the VW badges ,,,but it is then at the VW importer terminal that the badges are put on the car , not the stealer.

And they only badge them as to what badges they have at the time .

The only badges that are garanteed the same are VW and Golf.

Its like said ,,luck of draw as to whats put on the car.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have a 1.8 20v non turbo but when i purchased mine from dealer it had a 1.8 on the rear but the wife asked dealer for GTI badge so they changed it and its all silver

·
Registered
874 Posts
The 2.0 GTI should say GTI (all silver).

The 1.8T should say GTI regardless of age.

The 150PD should say GTI regardless of age.

The confusion comes because we are the only country where these badges apply. The 2.0 is not a GTI anywhere else and so is badged as 2.0 from the factory, and this means the 1.8T doesn't need a red I and so is badged GTI (silver) from the factory. The 150PD is badged TDI from the factory (like 150PD Boras).

As has been mentioned the problems occur when the dealers don't change them to what they should be for the UK market, or when cars are imported.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts