Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a simple question fore those of you in the know so go easy on me. What is the significance of the various red letters seen on the Golfs, petrols and diesels. I have seen all combinations around. Is this a mod people do or are they a factory fit. For example I have seen a red i on GTi. I have seen red letters on Di on TDi models etc. My GTi has just 3 chrome letters.

Can you enlighten me please!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Oh you've opened a right can of worms here! [;)]

I do know one thing though, the dealers just put on pretty much what they want, they're very inconsistent!

Others will be along shortly to give you some real answers! [;)]

·
Registered
77 Posts
they dont arrive to the dealer with no badges on, in 12 months of wroking for VW out parts department have never supplied any badges for new cars ???

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Quote: posted by Paul H on 12/04/2005 20:13:29

red i on the GTI is a turbo model.not sure on the rest

What you see is not always true, a lot of people and dealers included just put on what ever they want...

Mine had the GTI with the red i when i got it, but i felt that that was just a little too common so i wanted to change it, i also felt that the all silver one would accompany the Turbo badge better.

So you see, it just goes to show how deceiving the whole badge thing can be, people's taste's and opinions change, and with that, so do their badges.

So whatever you see, just don't take them too literally! [;)]

Posted Image

·
Registered
122 Posts
GT red i, is pd150, 180ps petrol, and some 150ps petrol.

GTi all silver, is either 1.8, 2.0 or 1.8t

TD red i, is normally 115pd, although some 115's were badged red Di

T red Di is normally 130pd

Red TDi is normally 150pd, mainly only used on boras and imported golfs.

I could go on, but i won't.

It's a very sore subject on here, and i'm bound to get loads of reply's saying how wrong i am.

Loads of people love to change their badges, either to make out they've got something they haven't, or just to look different.

Basically, if it's flying and smoking, it's diesel.

If not it's probably petrol.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So are we saying that from VW there is no significance to the red letters. No official factory spec to say why. I know it is bit of an anoraks question but sometimes you like to know these things.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for that one timmy. My previous post just overlapped your reply. I am a new boy round here so why do people get upset about there badges?

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
2000 diesel models and earlier (i.e. non-Pumpe Deuse engines) were:

TDi (silver) - 90bhp

TD (red)i - 100bhp

T (red)Di - 115bhp

(red) TDi - 130bhp

Or something like that!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Right. [:D]

Diesel:

Pre-2000 cars - TDI (silver) = 90bhp, TDI = 110bhp. These are the only two non-PD diesels.

Post-2000 cars - TDI (silver) = 100bhp, TDI = 115bhp & 110bhp, TDI = 130bhp, TDI = 150bhp (though these are, inexplicably, usually badged GTI in the UK).

Petrol:

GTI (silver) = 2.0 125bhp 'GTI', original 1.8 NA 'GTI' and 150bhp 1.8T GTI.

GTI = 180bhp 1.8T GTI.

That's it in a nutshell, albeit a rather large, funny-shaped nutshell. If your Golf has a different badge then it's been changed by the supplying dealers themselves or a previous owner. Note that Boras are different again!

Also, as an aside - the only models to bear a front-badge are the V5, V6, R32 and Anniversary models.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Are you sure the 150 1.8T isn't supposed to have the red i?

Mine came with one and i can't see it being placed in the same category as non-turbo models such as the 2.0 and the 1.8 125 versions?? [:O]

·
Registered
189 Posts
The diesel PD 115bhp has the red D and I. This engine became obsolete and was directly superceded by the PD 130 BHP which continued to use the red D and I.

·
Registered
49 Posts
the red I denotes a turbo, until especially on the gti, the thief scum where nicking those cars more as they new they where the more desirable turbo version, so you had an option to have a red i when you ordered your new car or not, also they made some without them anyway for the market.

as with the red D's and stuff i dont know, probably to point out that its a taxi or something? ;-)

·
Registered
874 Posts
Ok, the definitive answer is here, along with the reasons for confusion[:D][;)]

GTI = 2.0 or 1.8 non-turbo

GTI = 150 or 180bhp 1.8T or 150PD (only on Golf)

TDI = 90bhp

TDI = 110 or 100PD (post 2002)

TDI = 100PD (pre 2002), 115 or 130

TDI = 150PD (only on Bora)

Confusion arises because VWUK badges cars differently to the rest of Europe.

For example, the 2.0 GTI is not a GTI anywhere else.

In mainland Europe the 1.8T is the only GTI so there only needs to be one GTI badge, an all silver one. For the UK market they needed to make a distinction between 2.0 and 1.8T, hence the red I. Confusion arises because of imported cars which carry the Euro badging, and possibly because cars arrive at dealers with Euro badging and the dealers do not change them. For the UK market there is no distinction between 150 and 180bhp models. This may be different in Europe (they may use the red I for the 180), I'm not sure on this.

Diesels are easy, to begin with more red letters meant higher BHP, then when they introduced the PD a red DI meant a PD engine, hence why the 115's and early 100's carry TDI. With the introduction of the 2003 model year (in summer 2002) all of the Turbo diesel engines offered were now PD units so the reverted to more red letters for higher bhp, thus the 100PD unit was badged TDI from then on.

The only remaining confusion the is the 150PD- it should officially be badged as GTI in the UK, but as with the 2.0, it isn't a GTI in the rest of Europe so it is badged TDI accross there. Like I mentioned earlier, some of these cars get over here, confusing matters.

A point to note is that dealers don't just put on what they feel like or what they have lying around. There is a system to it, it's just that UK is different to Europe and we get cars with Euro badges confusing things. And then you get folk like us lot who take them off or change them anyway![:p]

·
Registered
427 Posts
Quote: posted by Stevoraith on 13/04/2005 08:15:48

Ok, the definitive answer is here, along with the reasons for confusion[:D][;)]

GTI = 2.0 or 1.8 non-turbo

GTI = 150 or 180bhp 1.8T or 150PD (only on Golf)

That's not the case - I know plenty of 1.8T GTIs with all silver GTI badging.

TDI = 90bhp

TDI = 110 or 100PD (post 2002)

TDI = 100PD (pre 2002), 115 or 130

PD100s are badged all-silver TDI. As an earlier poster said, late 2000 model 115s could have had the TDI badge, but they were altered to TDI when the PD130 arrived.

The only remaining confusion the is the 150PD- it should officially be badged as GTI in the UK, but as with the 2.0, it isn't a GTI in the rest of Europe so it is badged TDI accross there. Like I mentioned earlier, some of these cars get over here, confusing matters.

It isn't a GTI in the UK either. It's a GT-TDI, an entirely different trim level. [;)]

I think we need to get an 'official' answer to this from VW UK! [:D]

1 - 20 of 38 Posts