Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not quite sure if this is the place to ask this but what do the different colured letters on TDI or GTI mean? e.g. if the DI bit is red does that indicate that it is more powerful?

Thanks

·
Registered
95 Posts
i think if all letters are red its 150bhp and a red di means 130bhp i have a red i on my 1.8t but have seen other turbos with silver i

·
Registered
105 Posts
I read somewhere on here that the dealers add the badges on. I guess if they have the red ones they use them, if not they use silver ones? Mines a 1.8T and the GTI is all silver.

Paul.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
They should've meant something, but as it was left to the dealers to badge them, and some of them are a little on the clueless side, it really didn't work out that way in the end.

There's been a saga on here (do a search for "mk4 badging" I think?) before, and the conclusion was the guides were never really followed

C

·
Registered
267 Posts
it also depends on year as gt tdi 115pd`s have red di`s.best place to look is in boot at the build sticker.look out for numbers like 110,115,130,150 kw.if my memory is correct.[:)]

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Not quite sure if this is the place to ask this but what do the different colured letters on TDI or GTI mean? e.g. if the DI bit is red does that indicate that it is more powerful?
Thanks
In short yes the more red is more powerful but....

then you get the optional badges (like my GTI badged TDi) or as others have said dealers being inventive with GT TDi or as I saw recently a 1.8 turbo badged as 1.8T.

The one place that the engine badges should be correct is the engine cover badge (unless someone is really sad enough change this one...go faster stipe anyone??). Mines got a silver GTi badge on it (its optional) but all red TDI on the engine cover, if I were pedantic I would change the rear badge to all red TDi.

I think I've just confused you more!!![:cool:]

·
Registered
495 Posts
Mrs. rich1068 has a Polo Sport 100PD which has a red D and I. She's obsessed with the whole colour coding thing and I'm sure I've told her that it's all pretty meaningless but she does insist on seeking out what she considers to be an inferior model and trying to show them who's in charge. [:D] You should have seen how excited she was when she noticed that she'd got twin exhaust pipes for God's sake...

·
Registered
28 Posts
From what I can gather, there's slightly more consistancy with the Diesels than with the Petrol GTIs.

Theres no ultimate "colour=power" reference as it differs per model. (same with all VAG cars).

For the Mk IV Golf, generally;

TDi all silver = 90Bhp

TDi with red i = 110Bhp

TDi with red Di = 115Bhp and 130Bhp

TDi all in red = 150Bhp

GTi in silver = Normally aspirated (1.8 or 2.0)

GTi with red i = 1.8T

But there are exceptions such as the final edition TDi 150s that have GTI all in silver (at least they do around here!).

My TDi 130 has TDi with th Di in red but I have to admit I'm a bit sad and have just bought a "GT" badge from eBay this very evening to put in front of the TDi badge ! My first modification (only had the car 3 days) !

David

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
i always thought the red 'I' meant turbo.

silver GTI NOT turbo

[:^)]
When talking GTi's. The older 1.8T's were badged GTI silver, then they were changed to GTi. Silver GTi is also used on TDi 150, though imo its better badged as TDi as it is on the engine cover. It doesn't bother me enough to change it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Another related conundrum for TDI's!

The vehicle-specific insert in the Owner's Handbook for my 2000W TDI estate shows the rating as 66kW (i.e. 90bhp) , as does the similar sticker in the boot well. The badge on the tailgate is T(red)DI(red) [but there is no "Golf" badge on it!]

However, almost every time I phone an insurance company for a quote and give the UK registration number, their data bases throw it up as the 85kW/115bhp version!

I am sure the book and the boot well stickers should be correct - but how did the insurance companies' database get to identify it as a 115bhp version?

·
Registered
495 Posts
My guess about the badges would be that maybe your car has had a little bump at some point? The lack of a Golf badge is a bit of a giveaway.

Re: the engine. Check the engine code (stamped on the block). I'm sure there is a thread on here somewhere listing engine codes and what engine they relate to.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I have heard that the red 'i' is for the 180 brake gti turbo and the silver is for the normal version. I think the dealers must put on whatever takes their fancy!!!

My mate has a polo gti and he s got a red 'i'. And theres only one version of those with 125 brake.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts