Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We took the plunge and bought the Lowepro Nova 2. Good bag, with All Weather (AW) protection, but once the kit lens, and grip, is on the 20D the bloomin' thing won't fit. It's our own fault for not looknig round properly I guess. Time to Ebay lol!

So, any suggestions on what bag to go for? Ideally it will be holding the camera, with lens attached, plus maybe two other lenses. It must be low key and not too bulky.

And seeing as we have a EOS and dSLR users on here - what type of bags are you all using?

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I have a lowepro bag which is big enough for camera + attached lens and 4 additional lenses or other bits and pieces.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I have the lowepro mini trekker AW. A fantastic bag and very comfortable on one shoulder as you carry it around taking pics.

·
No longer a Dubber
8,211 Posts
I use the Lowepro Orion Trekker. It carries my 20D with 28-300mm attatched, 15-30mm, 540EZ flash, 2x convertor, and loads of rubbish. No complaints, but if I buy a 100-400mm IS lens I'll have to buy a bigger version.

Tony

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Yeah Tabs I've got a LowePro Nova 1 AW and I haven't seen a better make in my limited experience. Lots of storage for the size (pockets etc) and nice construction/materials. I've also got a LowePro for my digital camcorder. Sounds like you'd better buy a bigger one seeing as you've got the bug. I reckon mine should be OK to hold what I've bought plus a bigger lens. If I buy a battery back and a flashgun then I'll be bidding against you on eBay[;)]. Also check the google ad links on this thread matey!

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies folks [Y]

I'll check the larger Nova series seeing as they do the Nove 3, 4 and 5. The stealth reporter series look like they could acommodate the needs I have too.

Ideally I could do with taking a look at the bags before taking the plunge - sods law says there aren't any decent camera shops in Liverpool that stock them!

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Ideally I could do with taking a look at the bags before taking the plunge - sods law says there aren't any decent camera shops in Liverpool that stock them!
Jessops tend to carry some stock, there should be one near - or try a proper enthusiast shop.

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jessops tend to carry some stock, there should be one near - or try a proper enthusiast shop.
Theres only two jessops within range of Liverpool - both are pretty sparse in terms of stocks [:(]

Just found out theres a photography place just down the road from where I work - looks pretty well kitted out - gonna take a walk down as see what the crack is.

http://www.calumetphoto.com/ctl?ac.ui.pn=home.Home

·
Registered
226 Posts
Got my last Lowepro bag from these guys : http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZphotococan - all went well and bag was superb, and about half the price of buying it in the UK.

As for the Domke bags, are they the canvas ones - look a bit like an old army style bay? If so, I was looking at them the other day and looked a nice bag, although they did not have nay form of 'all weather' option that the Lowepro bags offer - however, they did not scream "expensive camera and kit in here - please steal me!!" as some makes seem to!

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
FINALLY got a bag.... Domke J803

It's almost like a tardis inside, plenty of room for two or more lenses and camera body. More importantly it looks just like any run of the mill satchel bag, which shouldn't stand out too much.

Just need to get me a tripod now [:D]

·
Registered
226 Posts
Looks good mate - very similar to the one I was looking at in the States from the piccie - is it waterproof? The thing that I like most about the Lowepro stuff is the AW cover and given the costs of the kit in the bag (espec if you have a body at a cost like yours!!) I panic that it might get damaged in heavy rain ...

Says me who has never actually took the camera out in less than full dry conditions, but you never know!!

Could you put some pics up of it to see what it is like up close - if it passes the waterproof test I think my next will be a toss-up between this and the Lowepro slingback thing that seems like a cross between a backpack and a toploader.

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm pretty sure it doesn't have the AW rating like the Lowepro kit has. It was one of the gripes I has about the bag but its features far outweigh the AW benefits.

As Shiuey' says - just wrap your kit in a bag and its happy days [:p]

·
Registered
586 Posts
Just got given a fancy camera bag for Xmas for my D50. It's a Crumpler Ben's Pizza XL bag. Kinda funky, hold the body and enough for 2 lens and charger etc. Best of all, it doesnt really look like a camera bag.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts