Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey chaps!

Ive got the cheapest BT Line at ?11 a month. can u kind chaps recommend me an ISP/? Im still with Onetel at my parents house (?20 a month unlimited).

Option 1 was to buy a ADSL modem and try use my Onetel credentials - However I dont think this will work due to the telephone number.

Option 2 was to go with Plus.net

Im bascially using it to surf the net email etc, some downloading but not movies or anything large!

advice appreciated.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I find Tiscali excellent im on a 2meg connection which is very quick for ?15.99 a month They were the cheapest I could find for that speed broadband Aol's equivalent is ?21.99 per month

·
Registered
228 Posts
plus.net here also. ?14.99 for an unlimited 2MB connection (although my phone line is toss and I only get 1MB)

Great service so far... only one outage I can remember in the past 12 months or so I've been with them.

Plus, get 50p a month off, every month for each person you
recommend and sign up (so if you do - put me in as your referrer [:)] )

Regards,

b6x

·
Registered
643 Posts
Pipex are traffic shapping - I migrated away from them.

I've just moved to Zen - Ok there's a cap, but I've been very surprised how much I actually do use. I've used 8GB so far this month so don't think a cap is going to be a problem for me.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Any updates on this?

I've recently moved house and was hoping to get it free with SKY, but they can only offer the premium package for their interent at the moment (something to do with not having their technology in the local exchange?!). So until thats in place i need to get set up with someone else.

I'm looking to pay around a tenner a month, but there only seems to be introductory offers and a lot of these tie you in to 18 month contracts now!

Just wondering what peoples suggestions are a few months on, and as above, Pipex look to be a decent option still from what i've seen

Cheers [Y]

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have been with Pipex for years.

Never had any problems and always got a good constant connection.

Paying ?14.99 for a 2mb connection with a 30gb cap but constatnly got a good fat reliable connection.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
ive been with virgin.net, BT, Bulldog and now finally someone decent. Be Internet (www.bethere.co.uk)

i know ?24 is expensive in relation to how much everyone else pays, but i get 1.2mb UPLOAD and upto 24mb download with unlimited downloads - plus a free wireless router with 2x voip ports.

Is it reliable? - admittedly i dont manage the full 24mb - but i do get a sustained 1.65MB/SEC from a site in the states i use for my MP3's and i havent had a seconds worth of downtime in the 6months ive had it.

obviously it depends if they have done LLU in your area and also the distance from the exchange .(check here --> www.samknows.co.uk and look for phone checker, that will list everyone who has done LLU in your exchange and how far away it is)

hope this helps.

·
Registered
890 Posts
The quickest speed we can get through our local exchange is a very poor 2.5MB, so looking for a high speed service is pointless for me. By the looks of it, only CPW/talk talk have done LLU and i'll have to look at whether i'm tied into anything with BT once the paperwork comes through before i can decide whether to go with them, but they do look about the best for combining internet and phone.

Has anyone experience of talk talk broadband?

·
Old Skool UK-MKIV member
1,594 Posts
I've just moved over to Be* Unlimited

?24 a month for 24 meg download and 1.5 meg upload.

My actual speeds are 10.5 meg download & 1.3 upload due to distance from exchange, but its worth every penny. Best isp i've come across by far.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Signed up with Plusnet the other day, so just awaiting activation now. Only went with them as they're easy to cancel a contract with, as i'm waiting for sky to unbundle the local exchange and then i'll be able to get it free

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
i have sky's 16mb unlimited for ?10 a month..................

cant complain at that and the service has been fine so far...........

1 - 18 of 18 Posts