Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using Norton antivirus and firewall for a few years now, cos I've always thought it was a recommended one to use (for quality and level of protection), if a bit of a system hog!

My subscription ran out a while ago, but at the same time, BT (my broadband provider) provide me with Norton AV an FW for free, as part of the broadband package, so I downloaded and installed that.

Been working fine for a couple of months, but a few days ago it said "service cancelled by BT". So, a 40-minute phone call and 2 days later, they call me back, say its sorted at their end, and to re-install it.

Done that, but now just won't activate, so is still not working.

If they dont sort it soon, to hell with it, I'll have to just buy one, as I use my PC and the internet a lot, and don't like being unprotected.

What are recommendations.....

Buy a retail Norton pack, buy a different retail pack, or what online free things are out there that are as good, if any??

I know Norton can be a system hog, but I'd rather run a bit slower and be safer if it's better or more secure than one that lets the PC run faster; for me, the security/protection quality is the main issue over speed.

·
Registered
186 Posts
i use AVG antivirus and Zonealarm - both are free for personal use and have been fine over the years I've used them

·
Registered
654 Posts
I wouldn't use Norton AV or firewall protection if you paid me.

"AVG" or, "Avast!" are good software AV, I use a hardware firewall so cannot comment on software firewalls. I remember using Kerio some time ago...

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Best combo IMHO, the one I've used and recommended for the past 5(ish) years,

Zonealarm, (good, and easy to understand unlike some of the others)

AVG antivirus (Though Avast gets good words too, I've no personal exp.)

Spybot S&D anitspyware.
Best of all, that lot won't cost you a penny.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Another vote for AVG - have a hardware firewall so don't use a software based one.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Yet another vote for AVG, Zonealarm, Spybot and Ad-Aware.  No probs in four or so years of using them ! and never paid a penny either..

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So it looks like a [Y] for AVG and Zonealarm then!

Are they updateable (sp?) for newvirus definitions etc. too?

Are they as secure as "bought" ones like Norton McAffee etc.?

What are they like for system hogging anyway?

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
Yes they are both updateable! [Y] I found that they dont really hog the system that much! Not as much as norton anyway!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Quite like the Microsoft spyware tool... windows defender.... been really good!.... but another vote for AVG to.....

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I personally would go the hardware firewall route. Dirt cheap and offer great protection.
If you can't get hold of a hardware firewall, then I'd recommend Sygate Personal Firewall as I find Zonealarm cloggs up to much resources.

as far as anti virus goes I can't complain about AVG free

Sygsate have been bought out by Symantec but the firewall is still spot on.

Carl

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
I wouldn't use Norton AV or firewall protection if you paid me.

"AVG" or, "Avast!" are good software AV, I use a hardware firewall so cannot comment on software firewalls. I remember using Kerio some time ago...
whats wrong with nortons ??????????///

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Norton leaves alot to be desired.... sorry mate... I've tried it and it crippled my machines performance in both opperation and start up.... think thats most people gripes with it...

·
Registered
432 Posts
Been a big fan of AVG/Zonealarm for many years now....not a problem. Hated norton as it always takes up too much resources, and makes any computer feel like ur back in the dark ages of 1996! 486 performance

·
Registered
145 Posts
I use BitDefender.

New updates are available every 3 hours or so. Its not a system hog like norton and sits nicely as a background task, no false alarms.

I have used alot of different software antivirus, this has proved the best.

http://www.bitdefender.com/

1 - 20 of 44 Posts