10,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen that the 42 inch Panasonic xxx50 models are dropping
fast to around ?1500 recently. I know that the new xx500
model (HD ready) is replacing it, which is presumably why the price of
the old model is falling fast.

What I want is this:

42 inch

best picture possible to watch freeview tv (not bothered about getting sky), and DVDs.

Has to have floor stand (want the flexibilty of being able to move it around)

Questions:

Whats the deal with HD - will it make a difference to watching DVD's or is it ONLY gonna make a difference with Sky etc?

Plasma/LCD - which is better for picture quality (I take it LCD doesnt go upto 42 inch?)

Recommendations guys?

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
A common drawback of high definition output devices is that they can easily show up how poor your low definition source material is! Go to a shop where they have them on display (make a shortlist, which it sounds like you have) and use your eyes. HD is the way forward though, and it can have uses for other things like connecting your PC.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I know its only a 26inch but we just got a LE26R51B ( i think thats the model number)

Its quite good, hd compatable etc etc... i know samsung go upto about 40inch on the lcds tho.. but may be pricy

I read somewhere that lcds were better quality than plasma, but there is a size limitation compared to plasma.. dont know how true that was though.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Shiuming, I have been to numerous shops to view them, asked the sales man their thoughts blablabla.

seeing them in a shop is all well and good, but the picture is often
blurry (TV) cause they share the aerials with many other tv's on
display - not good representation.

Also when watching DVD's they share them out between lots of TV (loss
of picture quality again, due to sharing out signal), or failing that
they ALWAYS ALWAYS play a god damned cartoon/disney film which always
looks good no matter how crap the tv...

I thought I'd ask opinions of the forum members as Im sure alot of people on here have Plasma/LCD

Im not gonna be hooking it up to a PC, but I will be intrested in having clear picture quality for watching DVDs.

I've currently got a Phillips LCD (23inch widescreen) which I bought
for around ?600 in July, and to be honest the picture quality is
CRAP! It looked great in the shop (I guess becuase they
were playing Monster's Inc on it at the time) so I bought it.

I don't wanna make that mistake again!

I've seen the Panansonic 42inch in various shops, and it always seems
to look ok. Glitchy at times (i guess this is because it's
Plasma??), which is why I'm wondering if HD will make all the
difference?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I agree with what shiuming says about showing up poor quality inputs.

If i am watching one of the sky channels with a low bit rate the tv looks c**p, However when i connect my pc and run one of the HD WMV files from Microsoft it looks [:O] AMAZING

Also bear in mind that sky will only support certain connections for its HDTV so make sure its got them on the back if you buy a HD TV ready set (I think its called HDMI)

Altho i have just done a quick search and it looks like sky may offer all three typres of digi connections on its new HDTV boxes

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
On the subject of HD: go to the big Sony Centre on Tottenham Court Road and watch the Blu-Ray DVD demo. Then pick your jaw off the floor [;)]

Know what you mean about sharing signals though. To be honest if I'm spending that sort of money I insist that they make a 1:1 connection for me to view else I'm taking my cash elsewhere.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Firstly have a damn good read of the plasma forum on www.avforums.com

Secondly - what do you want most - a tv or a panel? The difference
being a tv will have an inbuilt digital freeview tuner, and all the
connections that you are likely to need (vga, component, scart, dvi,
hdmi). A panel is just the display and you can usually configure the
connections you want so you don't pay for things you won't be using.
You won't get speakers (unless you buy these extra) with a panel so you
will need a separate av amp with speakers.

For home cinema enthusiasts the second route is the better route as you
can end up with a much better picture. For someone who just wants a big
tv then the all in one packages are fine.

Thirdly what's your budget? The current Panasonic Viera 42PV500 is
around the ?2-2.5k mark. This is an 8th generation Panasonic screen
with a 1024x768 resolution which means its HD ready. It gets good
reviews and is well worth the money. If you want a panel then the
Panasonic TH42PHD8 is a very good screen that can produce and excellent
picture. Its based on the PV500 but has better processing. Another
plasma well worth checking out is the Pioneer 436XDE - they are very
good tv's too.

Plasma vs LCD - for me plasma wins all the time. The main issues people
have had against plasmas is that of image retention/screen burn. This
is very unlikely to happen on modern plasmas and the life span of them
is in excess of 60000 hours (which equates to 8hours/day for 20 years
so I'm told). LCD is still way too expensive in comparison to plasma on
a size comparison.

HD will be across the board in the next few years so you may be looking
at buying a discount screen now and replacing it in a few years when HD
is more widespread. Alternatively you can bite the bullet now and get a
decent HD screen. Sky starts broadcasting HD in the new year but it
will only be on a few channels and even then probably not all the time.
You will need a new HD Sky box which currently is supposed to have
component outputs for the HD signal. It may however incorporate HDMI
(digital output) so that they can then include the HDCP encryption to
prevent people copying it.

DVD's will be going hi-def in the next 1-2 years also and there will be
2 formats - HD-DVD and Blu Ray. This is a big format war which isn't
going to be resolved easily.

Then there's hi-def gaming. Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo are all
releasing new consoles over the next year which will allow you to play
games in high definition (720p or 1080i), so again to get the most
benefit you will need a hi-def screen. That is if you play games.

Hope this is of some use to you.

·
Registered
836 Posts
There is alot of personal preference on the LCD/Plasma choice. We have recently got a 37" panasonic PV500 and love it. I certainly prefer the picture quality to the 40" LCD Sony my parents have just bought, the Sony gives the impression of a blown up jpeg with some viewing, Not helped by the poor quality cables used to connect it up either... parents Eh!

You also get a bit of tracing with the LCD on fast movement stuff, and as we dicovered the LCD's seem less child repellant.. my 18motnh old found the distortion when she pressed the LCD amusing.. Doh!

Echo NikB though... avforums..

Scott

·
Registered
894 Posts
The only thing I would add is don't buy the biggest screen for the sake of it, if you sit too close to a large screen it will look crap and you will be dissappointed. A mate of mine bought a 37" toshiba and was not happy with it he changed it for the 32" Panasonic TX-32LXD500 ( same as mine ) and is now a happy man.

On the subject of large LCDs the What HiFi show this weekend is going to be displaying a Sharp 65" LCD which is supposed to be the worlds largest.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Firstly have a damn good read of the plasma forum on www.avforums.com

Secondly - what do you want most - a tv or a panel? The difference being a tv will have an inbuilt digital freeview tuner, and all the connections that you are likely to need (vga, component, scart, dvi, hdmi). A panel is just the display and you can usually configure the connections you want so you don't pay for things you won't be using. You won't get speakers (unless you buy these extra) with a panel so you will need a separate av amp with speakers.

For home cinema enthusiasts the second route is the better route as you can end up with a much better picture. For someone who just wants a big tv then the all in one packages are fine.

Thirdly what's your budget? The current Panasonic Viera 42PV500 is around the ?2-2.5k mark. This is an 8th generation Panasonic screen with a 1024x768 resolution which means its HD ready. It gets good reviews and is well worth the money. If you want a panel then the Panasonic TH42PHD8 is a very good screen that can produce and excellent picture. Its based on the PV500 but has better processing. Another plasma well worth checking out is the Pioneer 436XDE - they are very good tv's too.

Plasma vs LCD - for me plasma wins all the time. The main issues people have had against plasmas is that of image retention/screen burn. This is very unlikely to happen on modern plasmas and the life span of them is in excess of 60000 hours (which equates to 8hours/day for 20 years so I'm told). LCD is still way too expensive in comparison to plasma on a size comparison.

HD will be across the board in the next few years so you may be looking at buying a discount screen now and replacing it in a few years when HD is more widespread. Alternatively you can bite the bullet now and get a decent HD screen. Sky starts broadcasting HD in the new year but it will only be on a few channels and even then probably not all the time. You will need a new HD Sky box which currently is supposed to have component outputs for the HD signal. It may however incorporate HDMI (digital output) so that they can then include the HDCP encryption to prevent people copying it.

DVD's will be going hi-def in the next 1-2 years also and there will be 2 formats - HD-DVD and Blu Ray. This is a big format war which isn't going to be resolved easily.

Then there's hi-def gaming. Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo are all releasing new consoles over the next year which will allow you to play games in high definition (720p or 1080i), so again to get the most benefit you will need a hi-def screen. That is if you play games.

Hope this is of some use to you.
THE END!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bascially Nik has worded it spot on

I have a panny panel pwd6 and brought it 2 years ago for 3K. Now gonna wait until HD is main stream and get that

If I was looking for a TV or Panel now it would be panny in the HD format...hence 3K screen

Then your sorted for games and tv of the furture....GO BUY

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guys thanks for all the helpful tips!!!!

Ok, so what's the best 42 inch plasma to go for right now??

must have tv tuner, speakers and HD ready..

Whats gonna give the crispist screen for TV, DVD's (and PS2 etc, although gaming is not a major factor)

Come on let me know what u think, Budget.. doesnt matter, just let me know what ones to go for!

·
Registered
309 Posts
I posted the same question about a month ago, i went for a 37" lcd phillips HD ready, got a deal ?1550 inc stand from currys on a price match they wanted ?1699 for the lcd and ?169 for tha stand , so i was happy with the deal, and love the pic and sound.

·
Registered
325 Posts
If money is no object then you really should be looking at pioneer they are usually top end panels

i opted for the panasonic pv500 37 inch an am pleased with it.Its connected to my panasonic dvd recorder thru S-video,the quiality is amazing

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Actually if money is no object then Fujitsu is the best. However in the
?2000-2500 budget either the Panasonic 42PV500 or Pioneer 436XDE are
probably the best currently available tv's. Personally I'd go with the
Pioneer - I've seen one running a HD demo and its stunning. If I were
going down the tv rather than the panel route its what I'd be buying.

·
Registered
794 Posts
If money is no object then you really should be looking at pioneer they are usually top end panels

i opted for the panasonic pv500 37 inch an am pleased with it.Its connected to my panasonic dvd recorder thru S-video,the quiality is amazing
S-video

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

S-video is crap connection mate.

Go at least RGB scart or component

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
NikB - you must keep yourself on the very edge of AV stuff, you always pipe up when these topics surface and give your opinions along with specific model numbers. amazing!

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
It's largely 'cos I'm always looking for new kit for myself. I haven't
bought a plasma yet but am on the verge of doing so. I believe that now
is a very good time to be buying into plasma. Some of the deals are
just fantastic. For example the deal I'm looking at is a Panasonic
TH42PHD8 with HDMI board, 2 years guarantee, desktop stand or wall
mount and 12 months interest free credit for ?2095 inc vat and
delivery. That's a damn good deal imo.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts