Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am in need of a laptop. Im after something branded (Toshiba, sony,
apple etc) because I want a solid feel to the laptop. Not sure which
one to get ... can anyone recommend one ?

thanks

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know, Ive heard a lot of good things about Acers ! How do they
compare to say like a Toshiba ? My sister has had two toshiba laptops
and both have been working flawlessly (even though shes careless with
them might I add).

·
Registered
472 Posts
i've got a HP Compaq nx6110 and its very good don't be put off by the price either because they are well cheap !

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
You know, Ive heard a lot of good things about Acers ! How do they
compare to say like a Toshiba ? My sister has had two toshiba laptops
and both have been working flawlessly (even though shes careless with
them might I add).
I think they compare very well to Toshibas. The machine I
currently have is an Acer Travelmate 3200 series which I've had for
about a year now without any problems and I take it everywhere with me
so is pretty robust. My previous 3 laptops before the Acer have
been IBM's, which are undisputedly the best
made laptops you can buy, but they do come at a price if you want a
portable one thats well spec'd, I have to say the Acer stacks up
reasonabally well.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
money is an object lol around ?600

Acers seem like a valid choice then ... do you have any of those travelmate 3200's left mate ?

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Check out Fujitsu-Siemens as well at that price, lotta laptop for the dough.

If you want a really bright, vivid screen, look at Sony Vaio (X-black LCD) and Toshiba Qosmio.

·
Registered
377 Posts
money is an object lol around ?600
Acers seem like a valid choice then ... do you have any of those travelmate 3200's left mate ?
Nope sorry m8, i only ordered 51 units, I ordered the extra one just in case someone kills one or cracks a screen etc.

A good place to look is www.ebuyer.com as they do some good deals on acer?s, although they do order them from another trade only supplier lol

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
For ?600 I would def go with Acer, value, spec and build quality wise you cant go wrong, I am ordering another batch in the next 2 weeks for work, we now have around 50 laptops, of which over half are Acer, no problems at all to date!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Was in Staples at lunchtime and they are doing a thinkpad r50e same as this http://www.dabs.com/UK/productview?quicklinx=3S42 (maybe without the burner but defo with a dvd/cd drive) for ?399 (inc vat) Special Offer. Under your budget but worth a thought. Thinkpads may not be the prettiest but they go on and on and on and...................
And that's the one I would go for, but possibly get some ram put in to take it up to 512.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
My girlfriends got an acer and has been good, my toshiba seems about the same to be honest in terms of build qualtiy

·
Registered
192 Posts
If you want something solid try a brushed aluminium Apple Mac Powerbook ! You could bang nails into walls with it[:O]

Get one quickly though before they put into Intel PC chips into them[:'(]

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Was in Staples at lunchtime and they are doing a thinkpad r50e same as this http://www.dabs.com/UK/productview?quicklinx=3S42 (maybe
without the burner but defo with a dvd/cd drive) for ?399 (inc
vat) Special Offer. Under your budget but worth a thought. Thinkpads
may not be the prettiest but they go on and on and on
and...................
wow thats a nice offer - Ill definately have a look at that thanks

Thanks to everyone else for their suggestions. Powerbook would be too expensive me thinks

·
Registered
586 Posts
Was in Staples at lunchtime and they are doing a thinkpad r50e same as this http://www.dabs.com/UK/productview?quicklinx=3S42 (maybe without the burner but defo with a dvd/cd drive) for ?399 (inc vat) Special Offer. Under your budget but worth a thought. Thinkpads may not be the prettiest but they go on and on and on and...................
wow thats a nice offer - Ill definately have a look at that thanks

Thanks to everyone else for their suggestions. Powerbook would be too expensive me thinks
FYI It was in the Glasgow Store, if you decide on it for definite and can't get it where you are let me know and I can get you it up here & ship it.

Paul.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts