Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a high end\enthusiast PC case I have the following criteria:

1 - Aluminium - for better thermal management.
2 - Removeable motherboard tray.
3 - Don't need a PSU.
4 - Don't need perspex panels - I want it to be quiet as possible
4 - Normal ATX form factor

I'm running an Abit nf7 board with an Athlon XP 3000, dvd burner and diamond max HD

I've looked at Antec cases so far. The P180 is a great case but its too big!! I've also ruled out the 160W (too gimicky) and the P150 - quiet case but issues with the PSU and its not aluminium.

Thanks for your help guys!!

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
check out Lian Li,

i have one of their PC60 cases and they are great, its getting on a bit now and they've got loads of newer models available

they can be almost completely disassembled and are all aluminnium with thumbscrews throughout

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Lian Li cases are great, better value than Cooler Master in my opinion.

I'm personally not convinced about the thermal management aspect. After all, what is between the heat-generating components and the walls of the case? Air. A pretty good insulator. Unless the hot components are directly coupled to the heat dissipating parts with heat conductors, it's more of a gimmick than anything.

Aluminium looks great though, but beware, many manufacturers, even Cooler Master on cases costing ?100 without PSU, now only make an aluminium front panel while the rest of the case is bog standard mild steel! Is it really worth it?

I personally like Chieftec cases for building servers and serious machines, their big tower has six hard disk bays, with space for 3x90mm cooling fans to blow right across the disks, keeping them running nice and cool, and very reliable in the long term.

Posted Image

EDIT: I'm personally not a fan of removable motherboard trays, or cases where the motherboard side flips open, such as the Jeantech Butterfly - they all compromise case stiffness, and how often do you remove the motherboard? It's up to you though.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
This is the one i got, cant recommend it enough. Lian Li V1200, its got a muffler at the back to make it run quiet. Change the fans for quieter fans as well. Drives sit at the bottom, psu at the bottom as well. Everything is easy to access.

Posted Image

hafizur

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
i'm actually looking at one of those or the V2100 which is slight bigger and allows 12 HDD and twin power supplies for my next case

i need the room as i plan to watercool

i agree about all alu being a bit of a gimmick with regards to cooling but they are very sturdy and look great

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
This is the one i got, cant recommend it enough. Lian Li V1200, its got a muffler at the back to make it run quiet. Change the fans for quieter fans as well. Drives sit at the bottom, psu at the bottom as well. Everything is easy to access.
So basically it's all upside-down [:|]

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
lol i've got 4 now adding up to half a terabyte and thats just in one pc

added to the fact that i never get rid of good storage space i think space for 12 will be perfect!

plus it will give me better airflow around my drives (until it starts to fill up)

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've gone for a Li Lian PC-7B Plus.

I've also gone for a quiet Alaska 12cm fan (already have one in my current case) and some Li Lian drive bezels to match my case. The PC-60 is a better case but I didn't want the extra cooling holes or the extra optional fan modules. The only thing the PC-60 does have is a slide out mobo tray. It will look great next to my black Samsung TFT (perhaps you remember my 'Recommend me a TFT' post!!!)

Thanks for the advice guys!!

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I've gone for a Li Lian PC-7B Plus.

I've also gone for a quiet Alaska 12cm fan (already have one in my current case) and some Li Lian drive bezels to match my case. The PC-60 is a better case but I didn't want the extra cooling holes or the extra optional fan modules. The only thing the PC-60 does have is a slide out mobo tray. It will look great next to my black Samsung TFT (perhaps you remember my 'Recommend me a TFT' post!!!)

Thanks for the advice guys!!
You're really not missing much with the motherboard sliding tray, those cases are not as rigid as those that are totally closed on one side - this is important to keep your expansion cards correctly seated for maximum reliability, and as for drive bezels, you can do much better than those generic stick-on ones - back in the day I used countless cans of VW Reflex Silver paint to turn drive bezels and other front panel devices into silver for my mates! I painstakingly disassembled the drives and painted every plastic part separately. Then finished off with a blue LED. Yum [:p]

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I like those mods u did!!!

I can buy a silver bezel from my LG DVD burner but it cost almost the same as the Li Lian bezel. Also I would prefer the clean stealth look!! I almost bought an Antec case with perspex panel and glowing neons, then realised it looked a little tacky!

I have thought up with my first mods!! I read on a rewiew of the same case that the reviewer used silicone gromits to isolate the hard drive cage. Where can I get silicone from....? I've got loads of silicone fuel tubing from my old nitro R\C car - I reckon that might do the trick.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Shuiming, your not the only one who's taken a can of paint to bezels! Used to do this when silver cases first came out and white stood out like a saw thumb!

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
why do you wnat to isolate the hard drives?
To reduce the vibration to the chassis. Antic P150 uses thick rubber bands to suspend the drives, it cuts a lot of the noise out.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I got my case through. I bought it from overclockers. It's fine apart from the the air filter housing and air filter are missing [:(]

I thought it wouldn't matter but then again I've paid for an air filter and no wonder my non filtered case collects dust!! I'll be having it sent back.

But apart from that its great. Its all aluminium, even the flip down ports, the drive bezels (cost extra). The overall quality of the case will make it a pleasure to work with. I also think my PC might 'feel' faster too [;)]

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update...

Got another case 'cos the last one had a missing air filter. This one is also missing one!! But the company are going to get one shipped direct.

It looks great in black. I did a before and after of the temps (so sad!!) and they are slightly down. The HD is the most from 42 to 29 - the hard drive cage is put behind the front fan - so it draws cool air past the HD's and acts like a HD cooler.

Its a lot less noisey than my old case, less HDD whine and click. My old case had a swing out cage I presume it wasn't very rigid. This one is bolted very firmly and is alu - so much less noise it feels like a different drive!!

Drive bezels work great.

Here is the case I got:

http://www.neoseeker.com/resourcelink.html?rlid=114539

1 - 20 of 20 Posts