Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I currenty have a standard alarm on my car, but wanted to get something a little more sensitive (for when kids are leaning against it and messing with it).

I was looking for something with a bump sensor on it as well (if you can get them), and interior sensing). Any ideas on which alarms are good and will do these?

Also, will i need a separate remote for an aftermarket remote, or will they work from my existing key?

Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
555 Posts
get a clifford,best alarms,had one on my 306,

you can even porgram it to say certain things,like step away from the car[:D]

·
Super Moderator
9,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't want to encourage the kids though. Would be good to get a clifford alarm. are there any others though?

·
Registered
555 Posts
there was a guy on editon38 selling a concept 600 for a ?100 bargain,he'd taken it off his mk2 golf

i was gona buy it but i couldnt get a good price on it fitted

·
Registered
102 Posts
hi there

I have a viper 480xv remote paging alarm its awesome i had some buggers pinch the wheels off my beloved golf had this fitted and no trouble ever since, ive got a proximity sensor and a shock & tilt sensor and as long as youre in about half a mile of the car it tells you if theres any one by it. thats the good bit BUT if youre gonna park it on the road other cars trigger off the proximity sensor, mines on the drive so its ok and it can make you a bit paranoid. its a bit pricey aswell with all the sensors it came to ?500 fitted but for peace of mind i didnt care.

hope this is of some help to you

cheers bloomus

p.s viper have bought out clifford they are the alarms off pimp my ride

·
Super Moderator
9,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, so if i was to go for... say the Clifford Concept 650, would it work off of a separate remote? and how would that work with the key fob? Would i just use my current key for starting the car?

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
My choice for the best alarm to fit on your Golf would be the only one I truly have enough confidence in to fit to my own car,and that is a Sigma.The only drawback to any aftermarket alarm is that when you arm it,it will also simultaneously arm your OEM alarm without you having to push the button on your keyfob,but when you disarm it,you have to do the new alarm first followed by the old alarm manually from your keyfob.

You would have two new remotes,and if you go fro the Thatcham cat.1 S30,you will also have a keypad to enable you to still arm AND disarm the alarm fully even if you don't have access to the remotes,and this is the only alarm on the market that you can still arm fully even without the remote.

Don't buy second hand alarms as the wiring loom will have been hacked about,and so can make fitting a lot more difficult,and also you won't get any warranty with it,buy new from an authorised dealer to know you will get the alarm properly fitted,and a full UK warranty as well.

Chris.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I've got the clifford avantguard 5.

I would reccomend it definetly.

Omnisensor, which is vibrational.
Dual-Proximity sensor: Internal movement AND external warn away
Tilt/Motion sensor, self explanatory
blackjax, which is like a special Immobiliser.

dont 4get, cliffords have 2 immobilisers generally and Battery back up, not to mention a blooody loud siren!

also Remote Start!!! Good for Cold mornings!!

·
Registered
628 Posts
No matter how good/top spec an alarm is... It's who fits it that matters.

hence get it new from an authorised Clifford Dealer!

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
If you want to say goodbye to your car,than go ahead and get remote start fitted,it seriously compromises the security of your car no matter who fits it,and also be aware that it is illegal in this country.
Oh and any Thatcham category 1 alarm will immobilise two circuits.

Chris.

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
OK

I have just taken out my insurance with AF and they have told me i have to fit a CAT1 imobilser[:^)]

the car has a factory fitted alarm and imobilser and i would like to know WHY this will not be ok???

IS IT NOT GOOD ENOUGH???

and what imobilser should i be looking at??

i dont want one of these stupid things on the key that i have so stick into a hole inthe dash as that is just poo

ANY IDEAS???

Thanks

Andy

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
As I said on a previous post,a lot of insurance companies or brokers don't know their arses from their elbows.You have a V6 4MO don't you,which has the EQUIVALENT of a cat.1 alarm on it as mine does,or rather it was recogised as such some 8 years ago when they were first fitted,but I don't think they qualify as that now.I must stress I'm not sure on this last point,but will do my best to find out.

A Cat.1 is an alarm as well as an immobilisor,and works by immobilising the car only normally 30 seconds after you turn the ignition off,but it still needs a push of the button to set the alarm fully.When you return to the car,you push the button again to disarm the alarm,and have 30 seconds to put the key in the ignition and start the engine before it immobilises the vehicle again,there is no seperate operation to perform involving touch keys,that is normally only found on Cat.2s,which are purely immobilisors.

Chris.

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
So what you are saying i could tell them to bugger off??

i have the alarm with all the micro switches on the doors and bonet but without the internal sensors

should this be enough if i could get a company to validate the system that is fitted??

Andy

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Dent Reform, I know on a Golf that is a GTi & above the alarm that is fitted to it is a Cat1.. But as you motor was originally a 1.6 you might need to check with a dealer or an alarm shop if it's a Cat1.

If you do need to get an aftermarket immobiliser I don't wise to have a stick in one your only other option is a Cat1 alarm,

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
A Cat.1 alarm must have direct triggers on all the entry points into the car (doors,boot and bonnet),it must have some sort of internal movement sensor,it must have a battery backup siren,and it must have a two point immobilisor that MUST passively arm,if you fail on just one of these,it won't be recognised as a Cat.1.
Although they were one of the most secure cars you could buy when fitted with all this back in the late 90s,someone with my knowledge could get past any OEM security features in a very short time.No two aftermarket security devices are fitted in quite the same way,and will take considerably longer to defeat than any OEM system.

Chris.

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
I had spoken to a company that AF advised me to use and the guy was not much help atall

ok he was a compleat PRAT

i asked him about this and all he tried to do was flog me a system that was "THE BEST" or money back and told me that if anything was stolen out of the car then it would be replaced and so on and so on

car could NEVER BE STOLEN bla bla bla

total cost 1100 quid[:O]

and that 2 days befoer x-mas LOL

as you gather i told him thanks and i would be in contact, NOT!!!!

Andy

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
No car alarm ever made can possibly guarantee your car will never get broken into or stolen,a good Cat.1 can be fitted for around the ?350 region,or cheaper.

Chris.

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
I know it was a clifford with all the bits and bobs with pinpad and remotes and the likes[:^)]

this is one aera where i have NO clue as to what is good or garbage LOL

any links to any good places with this system you are on about??

Thanks budy

MASSIVE HELP

Andy

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
And what sort of alarm should i be looking for ??

i trust you guys and not some donky that is trying to make a big sale for something i dont need LOL

Andy

1 - 20 of 31 Posts