Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody recommend a Wireless Modem Router?

I currently have a Netgear DM602 Modem and a Netgear WGT624 Wireless
Router but they have started to lock up on quite a regular basis
meaning I have to cycle power and restart my PC.

I've had enough of that!!

So im looking for some recommended kit, all in one if possible.

How to remote antenna's (for want of a better description) connect?

I'd love to extend the area of wireless coverage to get outside and in my garage.

Do they connect to the wireless router via wifi? Cabling isnt an option for that due to decoration.

MTIA.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
If restarting your PC sorts it then are you sure your current router is the problem? Next time it "locks" try repairing the network connection if you are on XP. If on 2000, from command prompt do ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew (or, disable and re-enalbe the network connection).

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also lose my wifi signal to my laptop when it locks which suggests its either modem or router.

Most of the time I can just get away with cycling power to the modem and router.

I have XP Pro, how do I repair the network connection?

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Right-click on the network connection icon and choose Repair on the menu.

I use a Netgear WGT624 V2 on my Blueyonder line, and have installed countless other Netgear routers for friends and family. At work I mainly use ZyXEL, although have also used D-Llnk, Linksys and more others than I can remember. The playing field is pretty level as far as most consumers are concerned. The Netgear I use claims to have double firewall technology. NAT + SPI. Well most routers are NAT, just make sure you go for one with SPI (Stateful Packet Inspection).

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Check its on the latest firmawre or google for the firmware version and
make sure that there isnt any issues with the firmware as if there is a
upgrade or downgrade may sort your issues out

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After reading a Netgear it seems that there are quite a few disgruntled owners out there with random connection drops.

With this in mind I won't be going for another Netgear product.

Can anybody recommend anything that isnt Netgear?

I want an 'all in one' Wireless, Modem and Router.

How about this Belkin 7633?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Been using one of those Belkin jobs in the UK for the past 6 months without any issues and one without a modem in Barbados for quite a bit longer.

I have 2 (sometimes 3) machines on a LAN in Barbados that I regularly access from here and I have had problems now and then (maybe about 6 times in 6 months) with the Barbados router locking up when switching between machines but that is hardly a normal situation. Other than that, mine have just worked and have not given me any trouble. Not sure how they compare with others in terms of features but most of the time I just forget they are there and get on with the business of communicating.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
3Com kit is very good. I recently had a total head-banging-against-the-wall job with a new customer I upgraded to a 2003 network. They originally had a peer-to-peer network running all-Linksys kit from the cable modem/firewall/wiress/router to the network adapters. All well and fine until you tried to log on to the 2003 domain. It seemed the Linksys drivers were not loading until after the network authentication stage, which is a bit of a chicken-and-egg situation. You need a network link in order to contact the server. After much blood and tears, we found changing the Linksys adapters, on the Windows 2000 clients that we had been trouble-shooting so far to another brand, sorted it out. First we tried a 3Com card (PCMCIA - these were two notebooks on Win 2000) and it didn't work, so went for US Robotics.

Then after a sigh of relief I went to upgrade the desktop PC upstairs, then remembered it was on Windows XP Pro, and just tried joining the domain and logging in with its original Linksys card, no problem. I simply hadn't tried it yet due to being bogged down with the Windows 2000 issues. As I suspected all along, Wi-Fi on anything less than Windows XP SP2 is just rubbish and doesn't work reliably. SP2 introduced a much more user-friendly wireless connection manager, never had a problem with it.

When it comes to wired network adapters I will not touch anything other than 3Com or Intel. Currently prefer Intel because of slightly better performance and the hardware encryption acceleration, plus a very funky feature if you have more than one Intel adapter in a system and can't tell which corresponds to which IP by looking at the back panel. Just use the Pro Set manager software to "blink" the LEDs on a specified adapter [H]

I've also found 3Com and Intel cards to be more tolerant of accelerated bus speeds that come hand-in-hand with overclocked systems.

Linksys and D-Link are good if you really don't want Netgear. Also have a look at Draytek 2600.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not sure how they compare with others in terms
of features but most of the time I just forget they are there and get
on with the business of communicating.
This is it - as long as it works and is secure then I don't want to know its there.

Just PM'd you Chris.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Good move avoiding the Netgear stuff, I know 5 people that have had all sorts of problems with varying NG kit, and I just get a headache with it all after a while [:)]

Mixed views on the Belkin, and I'll be perfectly honest and say I'm a complete *FREAK* - for those of you who remember back to Alcatel SpeedTouch back in the day - I've got a Thomson router *rolls eyes* and it really is the mutts. Unfortunately back in the day wireless wasn't an option so everything else in the house is kitted up with D-Link, and I will say now that THAT is decidedly average, and I wouldn't go with them again.

Gary - let us know the good and the bad when you've had it a while if you think about it pls? [:)]

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I've got an Alcatel Speedtouch ADSL modem (the little one with a single network port) connected to my Belkin wireless router back in Barbados.  The thing just keeps on working without a hitch and has some excellent diagnostic software that tells you exactly what the score is. That diagnostic software has been invaluable on several occasions when the tech support dingbats at my ISP have been telling me that there must be a line fault when it was a login issue.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Gary - let us know the good and the bad when you've had it a while if you think about it pls? [:)]
I'll do exactly that but my thinking was at ?58.99 it was worth a try.

I can always flog it on eBay should the need arise to change again along with my Netgear cack.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.