Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Righty then.Ever since i took the cooler off,to see if its half full of oil,im still haveing problems with the conection side of things mainly the spring clips,what a poo idea! has anybody changed for a more user friendly option,that holds boost ok?

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
If its 1 of the pipes that go in the IC then you can fit the pipe back on proper and drill a small hole through and fit a self tapper screw in it.

Check out madmans build thread its a good one for the pd130 IC and pipework solutions. It may take you a while to read but its full of excelent pics and guides.

Ideally you want the turborevs SMIC and custom pipework.

If you have lots of money and want to replace everything with a kit that gets rid of the shitty oem clip system you should look in the vendor section at forge motorsports full kit for the pd130. This includes converting to FMIC too though.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers for reply.Yea its the pipe that goes into the cooler.Noticed it had workd its way past the sring clip,so it was half & half ready to pop out,if that makes sence.What a rubbish idea of fitting

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
I bought a brand new 1 from VW with new clips ...... still wouldnt stay put. had to self tapper screw my new oem pipe to keep it on [:O]

Less than 6 month later its leaking boost from there again, it just wont pop off this time due to the screw. All ive done is chase leaks in the oem pipework since owning the car, im looking for a proper fix now.

I currentlly have 2 leaks in my pipes [:mad:] .... both of which ive replaced with new in the last 6 months!!

·
Meth addict
3,077 Posts
It says its for a 1.8t as it does not have the silly connectors that are on the diesel. I have just finished replacing all of the original pipework on mine including the turborevs smic and the 1.8t pancake pipe, well worth doing

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
The clip may not be sat correctly if it was fine before.

I took the pipes of the cooler, and every time I put my foot down after they popped off.

Make sure that you have pushed the two pipes together as hard as you can, then make sure at the same time, that the spring clip is sat correctly and pushed down as far as it will go. An inspection mirror is handy for checking the clip is sat correctly all the way round.

I had a huge boost and oil leak at the EGR intake due to a worn clamp, however an EGR delete pipe, jubilee clip and some butchering of the boost pipe now means its lovely and sealed tight. Much better drive.

If you want it, I have a spare oem pipe section to connect the top of the intercooler to the black plastic pipe that runs along the side of the engine. PM me for pics/details if interested, could part with it for a small donation.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It says its for a 1.8t as it does not have the silly connectors that are on the diesel. I have just finished replacing all of the original pipework on mine including the turborevs smic and the 1.8t pancake pipe, well worth doing
So will the 1.8t pancake pipe fit on the pd130 then? along with the rubber hoses needed?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The clip may not be sat correctly if it was fine before.

I took the pipes of the cooler, and every time I put my foot down after they popped off.

Make sure that you have pushed the two pipes together as hard as you can, then make sure at the same time, that the spring clip is sat correctly and pushed down as far as it will go. An inspection mirror is handy for checking the clip is sat correctly all the way round.

I had a huge boost and oil leak at the EGR intake due to a worn clamp, however an EGR delete pipe, jubilee clip and some butchering of the boost pipe now means its lovely and sealed tight. Much better drive.

If you want it, I have a spare oem pipe section to connect the top of the intercooler to the black plastic pipe that runs along the side of the engine. PM me for pics/details if interested, could part with it for a small donation.
I always made sure that the clip is in properly,it just finds a way of poping off all the time.Its the second time now ive had to put the clips back on.Is the spring clip tabs,suposed to go around the two tabs? i can only manage to get it round one of them,but its still tight.

Thanks for the offer,but ive got the sfs kit on the delete pipe

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
That will be the issue then, if the clip is not fitted as before removed, it is not tight enough to hold the pipe when the boost goes through it.

It should sit in a groove all the way round and the ends should be in two little channels also.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The ends are in the channels,but on the spring clip it has two pegs,only one of the pegs are clipped onto the main pancake pipe.The pipe has 2 nipples on

·
Registered
55 Posts
Does anyone know weather you can buy the metal horseshoe clips for the pipes going in and out of the cooler on there own?

On a PD150, I have spares for the other hoses but the cooler ones are slightly larger.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts