Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right I really need some new brakes the pads and discs are FUBAR..... so heres my options

1. Used r32 /TT V6 setup....?300 of fleabay

2. Standard ATE discs and redstuff pads ?120

3. Tarox drilled and grooved and tarox pads ?265

4. Cheap pads and live with the fade ?25

5. ECS stage 1 big discs and standar calipers and redtuff pads ?400

6. Stage 1 Brmbos.... (?500 of ebay I think)

The problem is I cant afford/justify 1,5,6,3 now so if I was to do
those I would have to put the cheap pads on now till february March

Help me please.... PS if anyone says I dont need brakes this big I got
fade last night after just 2 deccelaration runs from 90 (kmh[;)]) I regularily hammer my brakes so do need decent stuff

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Your like me andy brake as late and hard as poss, I had to do mine in april and forked out for black diamond all round totally chuffed with them mate, so i would say go the best set up for what you can afford

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
You've nailed it on the head really, its all down to budget.

R32 setup @ ?300 would be the best value for money. 334mm discs, 2 pot callipers, vented rear discs.... It's going to be a massive improvement. Any solution retaining existing calipers will have its limitations (and I remember being impressed when I did the 312mm upgrade to my old car...)

·
Registered
354 Posts
I got the ate power discs with the oval grooves and they do a good job,
my mate who has a scooby even commented on how good they were!!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hi mate,

Just put zimmerman drilled all round with pagit fast road pads on my anni cost ?340. i did the fitting. they work very well .

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I found the 312mm OE setup to be dire at best!!

They were OK with stock power but after I had Revo

Quite a few people rate them when the discs, pads and fluid have been
uprated though if you were going down that route I think I'd veer
towards the R32 setup.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
very aware I have done loads of research, the brakes are the same as various mercs s2.s 750I's Z8 etc

·
Registered
927 Posts
^ this seems like maybe an angle to come at it from?

Obviously only takes one written off 750i, and you could be on your way!, tho would be time consuming following up scrappies every week :(

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just use findapart.co.uk to get the parts

The problem is I would still need the VAG caliper carriers and VAG discs so it will still be expensive

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
TT v6 Discs appear to be ?150 each of the dealer, disgsuting really as the 312mm ones are only 40 each

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I love my ECS setup on my R32...

The only thing I would change would be the front calipers to 4 pots if this was possible...

With the ECS front and rears I get no brake fade, even on track days!

·
Registered
927 Posts
TT v6 Discs appear to be ?150 each of the dealer, disgsuting really as the 312mm ones are only 40 each
can get spurious r32 discs for ?49ea / pads ?34, but doesnt help with the other bits needed!

·
Registered
927 Posts
How do you mean "spurious"?
whilst in the motor trade we, and presumably everyone else, use the term to describe 'non-genuine' parts.(so non-vag)

Often made by the same manufacturer tho!...as were told on 'watchdog' every so often!

·
Registered
927 Posts
as long as working on the fact that 7series ARE def same as r32(and they seem to be-same pads ect) then log onto brakeparts.co.uk and have a peek.may need to add vat tho too.

For some reason they wrongly list 312 discs for the R, but think thats just a print error.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts