Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1.9 GTI TDI PD150
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

Though id start a wee threat detailing the rebuild of the car. Its a great base to start from, but as most cars who haven't been owned my folk like my self, car needs attention and love.

A few how to's on the way to im sure.

I started with a full service:
  1. Engine oil and filter, im using vw 505.01 5w30, (really important its got that specific rating, getting harder to find.)
  2. Gear box oil, this was really easy, you just need a 16mm security hex socket.
  3. Flushed and replaced the power steering fluid.
  4. Flushed and replaced the coolant (antifreeze) I managed to get very close to 6 litters out the car which is what it takes, a pain in the bum to do on this car. lower radiator hose it hard to get to and is only half way down the radiator. And removed the oil heat exchanger pipe to drain the block. Used compressed air on various pipes to push load of fluid out.
  5. Air filter
  6. Cabin filter
  7. Fuel filter, easy enough, just remember to fill up with CLEAN diesel before you connect it back up.
No photos of any of this sorry, but its all fairly basic I think. :) Car has 143.000 on the clock. Runs great, good power and smooth.

·
Registered
1.9 GTI TDI PD150
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Today I replaced the dog bone, and front brakes, car fought back all day today lol

Ill start with the doggone. F%$K me! easy to remove the two bolts from the engine. The two bolts to the front subframe snapped of course. Corroded to the actual doggone it seems. Lots of hammering, heating, nothing worked. So and easy solution I can recommend:

take a reciprocating saw, and cut the ends of the dog bone. (see pics) after that the mount just falls out. Then with some grips, I rotated the rest of the brakes seized to the bolt. one of them came of with the bolt no problem, and the other came of leaving the bolt in place, used a bit of heat again and its came of easy enough.

Simple solution and took 15 min! its Alu so saw cuts though it easily. minor damage on the subframe as you have to go all the way through.

Installation is easy, couple new bolts I had lying around. Also took the opportunity to use the grinder with a wire brush, to do the whole subframe, and the followed by a thin coat of under-seal. looks great now!

·
Registered
1.9 GTI TDI PD150
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now the brakes. Well for starters the car didn't brake very will, didn't know why until I looked at the inside of the front discs! Jesus, never seen anything like it. Only half the disc was being used! weird. Im guessing calliper was stuck maybe.

Anyway grinder with wire brush, cleaned everything up, painted the carriers black, they where the worst. piston moves freely, And wet sanded to slider bolts back to like new condition. Brakes good as new. Only thing I was unable to bleed the brakes as the nipples are seized. Job for another day though.

All cleaned up pretty well, but im sure you know its allot of work ;)

·
Registered
1.9 GTI TDI PD150
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ive fitted an armrest which it didn't have, and a nice Sony head unit to bring the car to this century phone wise. And replaced the worn gear emblem (its a 36mm emblem, I found on ebay, from France, I had to just cut the tabs of and glue it in place)

Also track rods and track rod ends both sides as they where seized. I will take it for an alignment tomorrow. :)
You need special tool for this, FYI!

·
Registered
1.9 GTI TDI PD150
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice list. The one I’m using isn’t on there. But it is North American so they’ll be Other oils not on there. From my understanding 505 01 is better than 507. But harder to find. Anyway I’m using FebiBilstein oil at the moment
On the way shortly:
Engine and trans mounts
Full suspension overhaul
New front wings and paint

·
Registered
1.9 GTI TDI PD150
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice easy enough job today, replacing the Gear box and engine mount, (dog bone already done last week)

Managed to round of one bolt, there pretty tight!, anyway one of those rounded nut remover sockets broke it of really easy! fantastic things.

Replacement bolts fitted to. Interesting thing: I normally buy Febi parts, good quality and good price. But for the gearbox mount I couldn't find it so I ordered a corteco brand one, which is clearly an OEM VAG group one with the original logo grinder off! just found it funny, it even had the OEM funny symbols on the bottom. See pics.

Anyway I can highly recommend doing them, on my car at 140k the dog bone was terrible, the trans mount was pretty bad, and the engine mount was a little bad. The car feels WAY smoother now, engine doesn't shake the car at all when idling. Its lovely.

Alignment was pretty easy, just make sure the mounts are parallel to the engine/trans

·
Registered
1.9 GTI TDI PD150
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Been doing a fair amount of work on the car recently. Ive got new brakes for the car 312mm front and 256mm rear, with all new discs, ceramic pads, and braided lines. Spent the last two days wire brushing cleaning and painting the callipers. Hammerite Red after a rust convertor treatment so stop any future rust under the paint. Cant wait to get them on the car, vented rear discs should look good to, and hope a decent improvement in braking power as current is a little sub par.
Also got new disc shields for all corners.

Wood trim removed and painted Gloss Piano Black, with a lovely clear coat. Looks great, New black gear knob also to replace wood one.

Took apart most of the interior to fix broken tabs etc and screw everything back in properly, now there are no rattles trim noises.

While I was doing the doors I also fitted 2 way JBL speakers with crossovers. 16.5cm speakers with adapters. Got some lovely bass with Cristal clear highs now.

Lastly ive been going over the car underneath with a grinder and a wire wheel, cleaning up the front subframe, mid support, and still to go rear axle, but they look great once cleaned up and a coat of underseal painted on. Also fixed broken exhaust hangers x2.

Fitted all new top mounts, Sachs Sport shocks and Eibach pro springs, and a full polly bush kit for the car. What a bloody difference that all made! took a week of driving for suspension to settle, but its fantastic now. No more bangs from the rear either with the poly bushed axle.

Anyway stay tuned for more pics and work.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Engineering Auto part Personal protective equipment
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Alloy wheel Bicycle part
Car Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Trunk
Wood Netbook Gas Flooring Office equipment
Plant Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car
Automotive tire Black Coil spring Gas Shock absorber
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Audio equipment Reflex camera

·
Registered
1.9 GTI TDI PD150
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
1.9 GTI TDI PD150
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the update, I'll have a look online as I have an exhaust without the support that this would fix.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
yeah two of my exhaust supports where broken, front subframe and middle support. Bought two of these, and did minor modifying to make them work. took 10-15 min for both.

·
Registered
1.9 GTI TDI PD150
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Some nice interior work today, new driver window switch trim, textured but not worn or chipped, looks great, hated the worn rubbery stuff. and illuminated flush vents. Look great ;) easy enough to fit and wire in, I just cut the cables and soldered them onto existing switch backlights.

before
Car White Automotive design Vehicle Motor vehicle

After
Car Gear shift Vehicle White Motor vehicle

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Gear shift Steering part

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts