Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Petrol prices, Tax, Negativity, cynicysm, unaffordable housing, credit checks, cctv, speed cameras, social/urban decay, gentrification, political correctness, right-wing ignorance, the gutter press, the irrational fear of multiculturalism, the cult of celebrity, Chantelle Houghton, Jade Goody, Jesse Wallace, Eastenders and The Bill, Big Brother, binge drinking, saturday night city centre war-zones, bungs, cash for questions, transatlantic geopolitical collusion, 95% of the wealth being owned by 5% of the population, the social divide, the north south divide, centralized government, parochialism, the weather, talking about the f****** weather, Westlife, Charlotte Church, James Blunt, Chico Time, Pop Idol, Fame Academy, Strictly Come Dancing, Vernon Kaye, Davinia McCall, Scott Mills, cultural americanization, Pimp My Ride, Cribs, the way Tim Westwood talks, call centres, cold calls, de-regulation, privatization, late buses, leaves on the line, train crashes, smog, roadworks, congestion, congestion charge, rip-off britain, vandalism, hate crimes, Abu Hamza, the BNP, fear, paranoia, anti-terror legislation, the degradation of civil liberties, the Criminal Justice Act, ID Cards, New Labour, the Conservative Party, the middle ground, party politics, the nanny state, VAT, Left wing stupidity, Polonium 210, Russian hit squads.

Get me the f*** out of here

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Petrol prices, Tax, Negativity, cynicysm, unaffordable housing, credit checks, cctv, speed cameras, social/urban decay, gentrification, political correctness, right-wing ignorance, the gutter press, the irrational fear of multiculturalism, the cult of celebrity, Chantelle Houghton, Jade Goody, Jesse Wallace, Eastenders and The Bill, Big Brother, binge drinking, saturday night city centre war-zones, bungs, cash for questions, transatlantic geopolitical collusion, 95% of the wealth being owned by 5% of the population, the social divide, the north south divide, centralized government, parochialism, the weather, talking about the f****** weather, Westlife, Charlotte Church, James Blunt, Chico Time, Pop Idol, Fame Academy, Strictly Come Dancing, Vernon Kaye, Davinia McCall, Scott Mills, cultural americanization, Pimp My Ride, Cribs, the way Tim Westwood talks, call centres, cold calls, de-regulation, privatization, late buses, leaves on the line, train crashes, smog, roadworks, congestion, congestion charge, rip-off britain, vandalism, hate crimes, Abu Hamza, the BNP, fear, paranoia, anti-terror legislation, the degradation of civil liberties, the Criminal Justice Act, ID Cards, New Labour, the Conservative Party, the middle ground, party politics, the nanny state.

What about Left-wing stupidity, the way toast always lands buttered side down, the way that cant open a jar and some else can, 95% of poor people moan about not being wealthy [;)]...

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Petrol prices, Tax, Negativity, cynicysm, unaffordable housing, credit checks, cctv, speed cameras, social/urban decay, gentrification, political correctness, right-wing ignorance, the gutter press, the irrational fear of multiculturalism, the cult of celebrity, Chantelle Houghton, Jade Goody, Jesse Wallace, Eastenders and The Bill, Big Brother, binge drinking, saturday night city centre war-zones, bungs, cash for questions, transatlantic geopolitical collusion, 95% of the wealth being owned by 5% of the population, the social divide, the north south divide, centralized government, parochialism, the weather, talking about the f****** weather, Westlife, Charlotte Church, James Blunt, Chico Time, Pop Idol, Fame Academy, Strictly Come Dancing, Vernon Kaye, Davinia McCall, Scott Mills, cultural americanization, Pimp My Ride, Cribs, the way Tim Westwood talks, call centres, cold calls, de-regulation, privatization, late buses, leaves on the line, train crashes, smog, roadworks, congestion, congestion charge, rip-off britain, vandalism, hate crimes, Abu Hamza, the BNP, fear, paranoia, anti-terror legislation, the degradation of civil liberties, the Criminal Justice Act, ID Cards, New Labour, the Conservative Party, the middle ground, party politics, the nanny state.

What about Left-wing stupidity, the way toast always lands buttered side down, the way that cant open a jar and some else can, 95% of poor people moan about not being wealthy [;)]...

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bad day mate ?
That road charging story pushed me over the edge... these last few months the missus and I have been weighing up the options of an International secondment to either the US or Switzerland. I was in Athens last weekend and although the Greeks earn a lot less than the Brits they still drive decent cars, look more relaxed, enjoy evenings out etc..

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
To add to your list, VAT is meant to be rising to 19% sometime in the near future. I'm sure I read this somewhere, and someone else said it today on the forum, just can't find any info now. So it might not do, but I certainly read it, someone else obviously has and my mate mentioned it out of the blue the other day as it will effect his costs he charges.

Edit: I just found out that it is rising or has risen to 19% in Germany, so this might be what I read.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
I was in Athens last weekend and although the Greeks earn a lot less than the Brits they still drive decent cars, look more relaxed, enjoy evenings out etc..
The Greek taxation system is different ours for cars. Thats why the all drive 1.4s. If you buy a car that costs Euro 50000, it is assumed that you have a disposable income high enough to buy it and therefore, you get taxed accordingly. Yes, I'd say my Greek colleagues probably earn 1/3 of what I do but ( for example ) there is no such thing as company car tax.

Have you listened to a Greek conversation ? It is full of shouting - they are as stressed as we are. Imagine you earn Euro 15000 per year and suddenly your country joins the Euro and all the prices treble over night. A bottle of beer in Kifissia in the North of Athens is around Euro 5 / bottle. So Uk prices with a 1/3 of the salary to spend it on.

And the sun always makes things nicer for evenings out....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Foreign girlfriend was my reason. We lived in the UK, didn't like it, she wanted to move back and here we are. Never looked back.

Seriously though, grass always looks greener on the other side, but it usually isn't. Wherever you are, there's the same rubbish. For a country to provide services costs money. Maybe that's funded by road tax, maybe VAT, maybe income tax, maybe road charging, whatever. Or maybe it isn't funded and you have a service that everyone complains about. Take your pick. In this country here, public transport is excellent and cheap, roads are fine, schooling and university are free, unemployment benefits are great. All cool, yeah? VAT is 25%. I pay 59% top rate income tax. Cars have a purchase tax of 180% on them. There's ups and downs to any place.

·
Registered
192 Posts
, Westlife, Charlotte Church, James Blunt, Chico Time, Pop Idol, Fame Academy, Strictly Come Dancing, Vernon Kaye, Davinia McCall, Scott Mills,
I wonder what your partner thinks about your choices [:)] I personally cant abide TOP GEAR actually . If fact I have to place a protective screen in front of my telly in case they sneak Clarkson on between programs in case I kick the set in ! [6]

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
My In-Laws live in a little village in the Languedoc, Southern France for 6 months of the year.. so we go over a fair bit - I love the way of life over there and I also admire the French's attitude to their country, they take no s**t from anyone and they're always up for a mass protest to make their thoughts known. They're not scared of their government and don't allow themselves to be brainwashed like the British, they're sense of self reliance is great - if it isn't produced in France by the French, they're not interested in it.

I'd happily move there.

·
Registered
392 Posts
My In-Laws live in a little village in the Languedoc, Southern France for 6 months of the year.. so we go over a fair bit - I love the way of life over there and I also admire the French's attitude to their country, they take no s**t from anyone and they're always up for a mass protest to make their thoughts known. They're not scared of their government and don't allow themselves to be brainwashed like the British, they're sense of self reliance is great - if it isn't produced in France by the French, they're not interested in it.

I'd happily move there.
I moved here 3 years ago.

They dont take no s/?.t from anyone, You respect the laws of the french if not you get a a good bol//king from the locals Gendarmes.

I wouldnt move back to the UK if you paid for my House there.

I have a laugh watching crimewatch and seeing 90 percent of the suspects.

Royal brittania (my arrrrsssssseee)

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Well in that case then I won't be buying their letters
LOL! who wants a garlic smelling wab anyway!!!

I'd happily move there.

They dont take no s/?.t from anyone, You respect the laws of the french if not you get a a good bol//king from the locals Gendarmes.

'Tis very true - people power rules and there's still sufficient fear imposed by the Police to deter crime.

If I could convince my boss to allow me to work from there, I'd do it in a heart beat, even for a paycut.... Sadly although my French is good enough to get by day to day, it would be impossible to do what I do for a living for a French company, the "work language" is completely alien to anything you need to know outside it (unless someone happens to know if Cisco kit/ Lucent firewalls are configured in English?)

·
Registered
392 Posts
Indifferent

I'd happily move there.

'Tis very true - people power rules and there's still sufficient fear imposed by the Police to deter crime.

If I could convince my boss to allow me to work from there, I'd do it in a heart beat, even for a paycut.... Sadly although my French is good enough to get by day to day, it would be impossible to do what I do for a living for a French company, the "work language" is completely alien to anything you need to know outside it (unless someone happens to know if Cisco kit/ Lucent firewalls are configured in English?)
You would be surprised how quickly you pick it up

Alcatel are french owned

My Mate moved here with his company Thomson electrical and he loves it 35 hour weeks with 1 hr 30 Mins for lunch.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
You would be surprised how quickly you pick it up

Alcatel are french owned

My Mate moved here with his company Thomson electrical and he loves it 35 hour weeks with 1 hr 30 Mins for lunch.
Well if you know anyone around the Beziers/Montpellier/Nimes area looking for someone with network management experience for the most well known telco in Britain - you know where to point them!... my last job was implimenting a whole new network for a major bank.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts

I'd happily move there.

Cisco kit is configured in english so alot of the terminology like route-maps, interfaces, etc will be the same and won't have a french equivelent. Only thing I can think of that has a french equivelent is a Krone strip, which is a Pouyet!

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Foreign girlfriend was my reason. We lived in the UK, didn't like it, she wanted to move back and here we are. Never looked back.

Seriously though, grass always looks greener on the other side, but it usually isn't. Wherever you are, there's the same rubbish. For a country to provide services costs money. Maybe that's funded by road tax, maybe VAT, maybe income tax, maybe road charging, whatever. Or maybe it isn't funded and you have a service that everyone complains about. Take your pick. In this country here, public transport is excellent and cheap, roads are fine, schooling and university are free, unemployment benefits are great. All cool, yeah? VAT is 25%. I pay 59% top rate income tax. Cars have a purchase tax of 180% on them. There's ups and downs to any place.
You are in Denmark though mate and you forgot to add that the average income is also higher than it is here in the UK. And with you working in the oil and gas industry there, you are gonna be on a good thing [;)][:p][:)]

I quite like Denmark and every time I go there, it is very refreshing to see smooth, well kept roads, clean cities, decent housing and different outlook from the (decent) people. My mates girl friend is Danish and living here in Aberdeen and she misses it for those things, but does acknowledge the UK is cheaper for a lot of things.

This page shows that we in the UK have a total tax burden of around 10% less than Denmark, Sweden and Finland. This page shows that Danish income is also higher.

The difference between Denmark and the UK is that the higher tax burden is used to good effect and re-invested in to the country for the benefit of the country moreso than it is here in the UK. Also, rather than pump up income tax which the UK government see as the biggest vote loser (which to me is not the case) they look for ways and reasons to increase it in other areas.

As you say, every place has its ups and downs and the grass is not always greener on the other side. If you don't like the heat, get out of the kitchen, just as you have done. I fancy a move too, but will wait and see what comes along job wise before I commit one way or another.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts