Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the result of 15 minutes work and a 20p gromit.

I like the unclutered look but whether it's functional remains to be seen.

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Car looks great [Y]

did you remove the wiper motor as well? or just the arm etc?

What grommit did you use/where from?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Wow, this looks great.[H] I have just bought a silver 4Mo so I will be good and promise not to copy - it'll be damned hard though[*-)]

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Car looks great [Y]

Yes, the wiper motor had to come out otherwise the spline would have been left sticking through the glass. It's a simple job. Pull the plastic trim off on the boot lid, its tight so a little force is required. Remove the wiper arm from the spindle and unscrew the wiper motor having unplugged the wiring loom and water tube for the washer. There's only 3 nuts holding it in place. I used a 25mm gromit from my local auto electricians to plug the hole. I did get one from Halfords but it was too flimsy. Just to be sure no water gets in I sealed the back of the gromit with duck tape. Replace the plastic trim, making sure all the clips line up and that's the job done. It's easily reversible so if I don't like having a mucky rear window the wiper blade will be going back on. Until then I'm chuffed with the uncluttered look.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Car looks great [Y]

Yes, the wiper motor had to come out otherwise the spline would have been left sticking through the glass. It's a simple job. Pull the plastic trim off on the boot lid, its tight so a little force is required. Remove the wiper arm from the spindle and unscrew the wiper motor having unplugged the wiring loom and water tube for the washer. There's only 3 nuts holding it in place. I used a 25mm gromit from my local auto electricians to plug the hole. I did get one from Halfords but it was too flimsy. Just to be sure no water gets in I sealed the back of the gromit with duck tape. Replace the plastic trim, making sure all the clips line up and that's the job done. It's easily reversible so if I don't like having a mucky rear window the wiper blade will be going back on. Until then I'm chuffed with the uncluttered look.
Did you make sure to block the hose for the washer as well, if not you will get a wet boot.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Steves car is never dirty anyway, looks ace mate, have you thought of colour coding the centre rubber of the VW badge.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts