Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I was just wondering if anyone knows any good websites to get a new rear wiper motor, mine has finally died the death and wont work at all now. Garage told me its not worth replacing with a new one as its too expensive for what it is, so any 2nd hand sites or cheap replacements would be great.

I didnt realise how much i relied on it until it finally went!

Thanks

Sian

·
Registered
934 Posts
£98 at VW or about £70 new on ebay or £40 used on ebay. Not sure of other sites bar breakers yards.

There was leaky one in the classifieds that I think just needs a replacement part which is about £3 from VW

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
or you can open it up and get it working, i bet the metal cog and arm are rusted up, lots of wd40 small wire brush, then when its working pack it full of grease!!!

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
or you can open it up and get it working, i bet the metal cog and arm are rusted up, lots of wd40 small wire brush, then when its working pack it full of grease!!!
Ryno

fancy taking us through how you did this please?

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
yeah, take the trim off the boot, take off the washer pipe to the motor, undo the bolts round the plate, will either be torx or phillips screws, be carefull when you do open the cover, as there will be lots of dust and its not nice, then you'll see the cog and the arm that moves, ignore the plastic one, lots of wd40, and a small wire brush, keep going with the wd40, might need help at the next point which is getting it all moving again, keep the wiper going by moving the wiper stalk back and forth, (just keep going!) you may have to help the wiper a few times and more wd40, when you are happy that its working again, wipe down with a rag, pack loads of grease into it, and into the cover plate and re-assemble.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
yeah, take the trim off the boot, take off the washer pipe to the motor, undo the bolts round the plate, will either be torx or phillips screws, be carefull when you do open the cover, as there will be lots of dust and its not nice, then you'll see the cog and the arm that moves, ignore the plastic one, lots of wd40, and a small wire brush, keep going with the wd40, might need help at the next point which is getting it all moving again, keep the wiper going by moving the wiper stalk back and forth, (just keep going!) you may have to help the wiper a few times and more wd40, when you are happy that its working again, wipe down with a rag, pack loads of grease into it, and into the cover plate and re-assemble.
You are a gent !

cheers

Will try it later

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
did mine, looks like the spindle grooves on the arm section are worn out! Good news ! Greased the whole thing and checked it worked . will source a new arm !

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Took a dremmel to it and cleaned it all off. Cut some grooves and exopy resined it. Let it dry for 2-3 days .

worked out it must have been trying to use it when it was frozen etc !!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts