Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rear wiper on my 2006 gti sometimes turns itself on when i start the engine. cars been back to dealer a couple of times and they fitted new wiper motor, but still no good.

anyone else had this problem ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yep, well known intermitent fault on the Mk V, you will find a number of topic discussions on this forum and Tyresmoke on the problem.  Not sure VW have found a remedy, mine has been in but it refused to show the problem while the dealer had the car but has frequently occurred since then.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Yep. Mine does it very infrequently i have to say so I just accept it.

Mate has it on his one too. Known prob on Mk5 GTI's apparently but when I quizzed the dealer about it they said nothings been mentioned on the bulletins so don't know how to fix.

Hmmm

·
Registered
118 Posts
but when I quizzed the dealer about it they said nothings been mentioned on the bulletins...

My dealer told me this late last year - I told him the problem was the wiper motor and it needed replaced - info I'd got on a forum. He told me they hadn't heard anything and there weren't any bulletins about it but they'd investigate. He phoned me a couple of days later and told me there was a bulletin just released and they'd ordered the motor. So motor has been replaced and hasn't happened since.

Regards,

Colm

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine is the same just every now and then when start her up. Will keep an eye on it, if becomes a regular problem back to the dealers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank god i'm not the only one, the dealers had done the usual trick of never hearing of this & that i must be imagining it all.  Mine is a 05 GT tdi DSG, sometimes flicking the wiper switch cancels it but usually its ignition off to stop it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rear wiper on my 2006 gti sometimes turns itself on when i start the engine. cars been back to dealer a couple of times and they fitted new wiper motor, but still no good.

anyone else had this problem ?
I hope I'm not stating the obvious here but if you have your front wipers in auto and you put your gear in reverse, the rear wiper will sweep. So perhaps you passed reverse (on your DSG) on the way to drive and that triggered the rear wiper. Try setting your front wipers off and see if that solves the problem. My 2c.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, mine is at it too. If it happens then it is as soon as I start while before I even move it out of park. I'm pretty sure it is nothing to do with briefly engaging reverse on the way to drive. However I almost always have the wipers left in auto mode so it could be something to do with that.

I typically don't need to switch ignition off to stop it. If I do a rear wash/wipe then when it's finished it stops itself.

Jim

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've had no trouble with my rear wiper as of yet, but the other day I returned to my car to find the front wipers straight up the screen in the service position. They definately weren't there when I left the car and I'd been nowhere near the wiper stalk to accidentally do it manually. Also, I've noticed that the front wipers don't always rest all the way down and are still visible from inside the car. Pressing the stalk down to wipe once usually forces them to rest at the bottom but the next time I drive it the wipers are up an inch or two even though, with it being summer, I've not had to go anywhere near the wipers..

It's incredible the number of things that are dodgy on these Golfs. Take into account the dodgy folding mirrors, recoiling one-touch windows, and the recent satnav, MFD and dual climate problems I've been having you'd think that VW would pull their fingers out and fix what surely must mainly be put down to problems with the software. I mean, it's not like on old cars where you press a button and the thing either works or it doesn't - these things literally have a mind of their own.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I've had no trouble with my rear wiper as of yet, but the other day I returned to my car to find the front wipers straight up the screen in the service position. They definately weren't there when I left the car and I'd been nowhere near the wiper stalk to accidentally do it manually. Also, I've noticed that the front wipers don't always rest all the way down and are still visible from inside the car. Pressing the stalk down to wipe once usually forces them to rest at the bottom but the next time I drive it the wipers are up an inch or two even though, with it being summer, I've not had to go anywhere near the wipers..

It's incredible the number of things that are dodgy on these Golfs. Take into account the dodgy folding mirrors, recoiling one-touch windows, and the recent satnav, MFD and dual climate problems I've been having you'd think that VW would pull their fingers out and fix what surely must mainly be put down to problems with the software. I mean, it's not like on old cars where you press a button and the thing either works or it doesn't - these things literally have a mind of their own.
I think that you'll find that the reason the wipers going into the 'service' position is caused by your good self as I found out when mine did the same on several occasions.

I discovered that on turning off the ignition and then getting out of the car, my left hand or some part of my left side was catching the wiper stalk and pushing it downwards which of course is what brings the wiper into the 'service' position.

Having done this, the wipers would silently rise to that position as I walked away from the car, using the remote to lock the car.

I agree with you about the over complexity of the Golf (and other makes, I suppose). Most of these novelties are useful if they're reliable but personally I would rather be without them and have a good reliable, solid car every time.

·
Registered
206 Posts
but when I quizzed the dealer about it they said nothings been mentioned on the bulletins...

My dealer told me this late last year - I told him the problem was the wiper motor and it needed replaced - info I'd got on a forum. He told me they hadn't heard anything and there weren't any bulletins about it but they'd investigate. He phoned me a couple of days later and told me there was a bulletin just released and they'd ordered the motor. So motor has been replaced and hasn't happened since.

Regards,

Colm
Sorry to resurrect an old post but does anyone know/ or have the bulletin for the wiper motor problem.

I asked about mine last week when I got it serviced, and the tech reply on the warranty card read " customer must leave car in reverse with the wiper stalk on for this to happen" Grr

This is inspite of the guy in the service desk saying that he knew there was a problem with the motor.

Am waiting on a phone call today about my customer satisfaction, regarding my service today or tomorrow, so I would just like some info regarding this.

Many Thanks

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
My useless turd of a dealer still won't believe that mine is knackered too, just like they won't believe that I did not pull 7 door seals off, they fell off, and they won't believe that the car runs rough on idle at times.  They probably don't believe that this is my last VW either.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Thank for the replies. Have decided to let it lie, as it doesn' t really cause any problems, so if it ain't really broke, they don't need to pull the car apart to fix it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts