Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I've had this for ages and just don't use the rear washer any more. However now it's winter I really need to!

I've read on here it's a new rear wiper job to fix this, as the metal pipe through the wiper motor has broken.

However I also remember reading that it's possible to replace this metal pipe inside the washer motor, but I can't find the post now???

Can anyone help on this?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah rally chris's is a different problem I thought, that the washer tubing comes away from the connector. Mine is inside the wiper motor!!

·
Registered
654 Posts
I wonder if something needs tightening up? I replaced my rear wiper with the Polo Wiper and wonder if it's connected???

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Rally Chris' how to shows how to rectify the washer pipe from coming adrift.

This is a different problem to the moving washer jet.. As Malky says, there is a metal pipe which has broken inside the jet unit, meaning it moves with the wiper.

I got mine replaced under warrenty, but if its out of warrenty it can be fixed. Someone on here did a how to many many moons ago. Can't remember who it was though - sorry

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had this problem and fixed it by removing the wiper arm and cleaning the pipe that goes to the washer jet, i think I also cleaned up the hole in the wiper arm too. Just use some fine emery paper and little WD40 to help stop it corroding again.

HTH

Dave

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now have a de-wipered GOlf 1.8T!!!

Took the motor etc out yesterday.

There is a small metal pipe which runs though the soindel for the wiper. This pipe supplys the screen wash, and is designed to stay staionary as the wiper moves. The inner pipe had cooroded and locked to the spindle causing the spray to move with the wipers.

I am in the middle of trying to fix this. Trying to replace this metal pipe, etc. New wiper motor is ?70.

I think I have a fix, but it needs a bit of work to get ot done.

Will post pics of what I'm talking about when I get some time!!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here are the pics...

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is the metal inner pipe that corrodes...

I tried to fix using a plastic tube, but this didn't work well at all.

I have just sourced the correct size of coper tube from a model shop. Will attempt the repair soon. Unfortunatley it's a non-standard US size, and there was no size on the pipe!!

Best bit is it cost me 73p compared to ?73 for a wiper motor!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a similar problem with mine in that the metal pipe had snapped.

I ended up replacing the whole unit with one from a scrap yard but I stripped it down cleaned it up and greased it all to prevent the same thing happening again. If I remember correctly it cost me about 30 quid.

While I was at it I did a mod to the way the tubing connects to the wiper motor as I believe that this can be a problem as well (the connecter breaks). If I could work out how to paste a pic I would show you!!!

Drag

·
Registered
305 Posts
Malky I've stripped mine down and my copper pipe has snapped in the middle (obviously it was corroded and seized then with movement got sheared off)

Where did you get the new copper pipe from and what size is it?

How you gonna join the new copper pipe to the old one???

I was thinking cutting the old one down to the plastic connector then tapping a hole in the plastic/remains of old copper pipe, then die cutting a thread on a new bit and loctite threadlocking them together.

P.S what a feck on cos of a sh!t design by Bosch.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
My tube came off at the motor connection, so i did a DIY repair with two tie-wraps - one to hold the tube onto the solid bit and one to stop it being foced off........the next week, the tube came off at the boot hinge joint! (wet roof liner).....repaired under warranty.....

The week after, the wiper jet started moving with the wiper arm like malky's!!!!

AAAAGH!

I used copious rags, and kept feeding WD40 into the end of the wiper shaft/nozzle thing.....seemed to work but it wasn't too severe when i caught it.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Well I've just fixed mine and it works a treat!

Wish I'd took pics but it's all back together now and I'm not strippin it down!

Stripped it like Malky, cut the old brass pipe off at the plastic connector, drilled plastic connector hole/old brass pipe out 4.2-4.3mm x about 6 deep.

drilled the metal housing clearance hole (part of the motor mechanism) out 5mm all the way thru to clear all of the old corroded brass out.

Got a new length of stiff plastic tubing about 4mm OD loctite force fitted into the plastic connector, assembled it all back together, cut the plastic tubing to size on the outside and re-fitted the plastic end piece which squirts the water on the windscreen.

Hey presto it's fixed.

All of this along with Rally Chris's tubing fix means hopefully I'll never have this pathetic problem again!

·
Registered
722 Posts
I read this last night, and thought i would take a look at mine. My car is a late V plate, with 44k on the clock. The rear wiper was working ok, but i had a spare hour, and took a look.

The hardest and most emotional part was getting the trim panel off! Stripped the wiper arm off, and took out the jet, there is a very small o ring that sits below the jet, to seal the pipe coming through the motor from the crud that follows a Golf. Took off the motor panel and the mechanism came out complete with inner pipe which was quite crudded up in the centre spindle, cleaned it all out, greased it to death, and re-assembled it all.

Still works ok! But got all the muck and crud out and prevented a problem. (I Hope)

If it does eventually go, i think the plastic tubing up the middle might be the way ahead.

[email protected] design!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Similar flaw to the fronts then, they have O rings to prevent moisture getting in to the shaft, but it does and they corode and gradually get slower until they seize.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mine is all back together now, sorted one problem out, only to find that the actual plastic nozzle is cracked, this cause the screenwash top go back down the pipe inside the spindle!!

Good news is that this is a VW part so should be able to order it!! Will update...

BTW dealer price is ?73 for the rear wiper motor, german and sweedish do em for ?53 + VAT.

I got intouch with a few scrappys, one offered me one, secondhand for ?99.98, bargain!!! Bunch of pikey scum...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts