Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya, has any1 seen this before ? Wondered why it wasn't washing (only wiping) and can see that water has come down behind the near (passenger) side C pillar...

I presume the pipe has a split in it, or connector come off...but looks a devil to get to...have started taking out the huge amounts of mk4 interior trim but not sure if I'll be able to get at it...and what to do if I do !

Have peeled back the headlining and can see the pipes but not sure how to repair...any ideas ?! (will have a better look in daylight)

PS Did try a search and looked thru loadsa pages but couldn't see this !

Thanks in advance !

·
Expression Intentionally Blank
1,132 Posts
I had this problem on my 1.8T it's 2 elbow connectors come unclipped and just need reclipping.

interior is quite easy to remove...

Remove: parcel shelf / side shelf / c piller panel. then you'll see the connector. Just clip them back together and put some tape round them to stop it happening again..

PS I would change your topic title to remove the swearing; don't want the mods jumping all over us eh?[;)]

HTH

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the speedy reply, also changed the title ;-)

The side shelf - was that a torx bolt holding it in ?

Cheers!

·
1,132 Posts
good man! twas close.. hehe

I can't remember off hand, could be.. I thought it might be a few plastic nuts and some fancy clips holding it to the c-pillar panel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not had a chance to look 2day...and the mrs is on hol with my digi cam...but will try and get some tips jotted down as I go along !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK this is what I can remember of the process (was a couple of days ago..). It now works I am pleased to say !

Fixing a non washing rear wash wipe (VW Golf mk4 5 door)

--------------------------------------------------------

NB My washer bottle was full (same supply for front and rear) - the front washed but not the back (wiped only). I mentioned this to the garage when it was in for a service and they noticed a "drip mark" in the rear near side (passenger side) C pillar (back pillar of the car). They didn't attempt to fix so thought I would have a go..

Tools:

T15 torx (parcel shelf rest)

10mm socket (parcel shelf rest)

11/16 socket (seatbelt mount)

1. Take out spare tyre / tools

2. Pull off the plastic trim at the back of the boot (about 6 clips, pull off carefully)

3. Take off the piece of roof headlining trim (by the rear hatch). Be careful..easy to snap tabs on it's end [:O]...best way is to pull it down in the middle (so it's arched) and pull out one of the sides, then the other IMHO. (and put it back like this afterwards)

Location of the clips, plus "tabs" at the end:

http://photos2.flickr.com/2900279_a15abf50d2_b.jpg

4. Pull away the rubber seal around hatch opening, plus where the rear door shuts

http://photos1.flickr.com/2900545_5c1af61c0e_b.jpg

5. Open side flap in the left hand side of boot (first aid kit storage)

6. Undo the 2 bolts holding the parcel shelf rest (using 10mm socket)

7. Undo the torx bolt that also holds the parcel shelf rest (probably tucked behind carpet)

http://photos1.flickr.com/2900273_4ca23a50c6_b.jpg

8. Undo the seatbelt bolt (flick up the plastic cover to get at it). Remove the bolt, pull the seatbelt out the way

9. Unclip the C pillar trim from the parcel shelf rest, pull parcel shelf rest out of the way (I did not remove completely, appears to be fixed by the back door / wheel arch)

10. Pull off the C pillar trim (carefully else you will snap the clips)

Location of the C pillar clips / fasteners:

http://photos1.flickr.com/2900275_cbf01b5161_b.jpg

11. Prise back the headlining to reveal the pipework, and hopefully where it has come apart...

http://photos1.flickr.com/2900278_693d52caf9_b.jpg

http://photos1.flickr.com/2900295_9d4bbe25d0_b.jpg

12. I stuck some (green) tape around it, which might stop it coming apart again, tho' they seemed to fit back snugly.

13. Reverse the above to put back together basically !

NB - My C pillar sound proofing / insulation was soggy, so left to dry for a day or two on a radiator.

NB2 - Be sure to put the trim around the seatbelt back correctly (see other side of the car if you need to). Don't want it chaffing I'd imagine...plus guess you should really have the correct torque when putting the bolt back...

NB3 - If you can't see the leak guess could get a willing assistant to squirt the washer whilst you look..but beware there are lots of wires tucked away in that C pillar...

Good Luck !

·
1,132 Posts
Glad you sorted it...

Quote: posted by danp on 03/01/2005 23:07:28Quiz question - what's the beige, thick tube used for ? Any1 know ?!

Do you have a sunroof? if so it is most likely the drain tube from the drain channels running down each side of the car front and back (4 tubes in all)

If you don't have a sunroof then it could still be drain tubes from perhaps the tops of doors / seals[:O]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote: posted by Royster on 04/01/2005 20:01:37

Glad you sorted it...

Quote: posted by danp on 03/01/2005 23:07:28Quiz question - what's the beige, thick tube used for ? Any1 know ?!

Do you have a sunroof? if so it is most likely the drain tube from the drain channels running down each side of the car front and back (4 tubes in all)

If you don't have a sunroof then it could still be drain tubes from perhaps the tops of doors / seals[:O]

Aha very good ! Got a sunroof so suspect it is that, cheers !

·
Registered
15 Posts
Danp

Ive been plaqued with this leak for 4 months now.

Thanks to your excellent write up and photos I now know exactly what to expect when I pull the trim off.

Great work!

Richard

·
Registered
137 Posts
Mine too - the joints had separated as well. (why would anyone expect two pieces of hard plastic to seal well!?)

Anyway I stuck it back together on saturday on saturday and tried to seal it with some bathroom sealant, hopefully this will hold it together.

Does anyone know what the stealer does to fix it?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I too had this problem, fixed it tho, but i didnt bother with the plastic elbows, chopped them off, put in some proper neoprene tubeing, and sealed it with silicone, hasnt leaked once since.

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
OK this is what I can remember of the process (was a couple of days ago..). It now works I am pleased to say !

Fixing a non washing rear wash wipe (VW Golf mk4 5 door)

--------------------------------------------------------

NB My washer bottle was full (same supply for front and rear) - the front washed but not the back (wiped only). I mentioned this to the garage when it was in for a service and they noticed a "drip mark" in the rear near side (passenger side) C pillar (back pillar of the car). They didn't attempt to fix so thought I would have a go..

Tools:

T15 torx (parcel shelf rest)

10mm socket (parcel shelf rest)

11/16 socket (seatbelt mount)

1. Take out spare tyre / tools

2. Pull off the plastic trim at the back of the boot (about 6 clips, pull off carefully)

3. Take off the piece of roof headlining trim (by the rear hatch). Be careful..easy to snap tabs on it's end [:O]...best way is to pull it down in the middle (so it's arched) and pull out one of the sides, then the other IMHO. (and put it back like this afterwards)

Location of the clips, plus "tabs" at the end:

Posted Image

4. Pull away the rubber seal around hatch opening, plus where the rear door shuts

Posted Image

5. Open side flap in the left hand side of boot (first aid kit storage)

6. Undo the 2 bolts holding the parcel shelf rest (using 10mm socket)

7. Undo the torx bolt that also holds the parcel shelf rest (probably tucked behind carpet)

Posted Image

8. Undo the seatbelt bolt (flick up the plastic cover to get at it). Remove the bolt, pull the seatbelt out the way

9. Unclip the C pillar trim from the parcel shelf rest, pull parcel shelf rest out of the way (I did not remove completely, appears to be fixed by the back door / wheel arch)

10. Pull off the C pillar trim (carefully else you will snap the clips)

Location of the C pillar clips / fasteners:

Posted Image

11. Prise back the headlining to reveal the pipework, and hopefully where it has come apart...

Posted Image

Posted Image

12. I stuck some (green) tape around it, which might stop it coming apart again, tho' they seemed to fit back snugly.

13. Reverse the above to put back together basically !

NB - My C pillar sound proofing / insulation was soggy, so left to dry for a day or two on a radiator.

NB2 - Be sure to put the trim around the seatbelt back correctly (see other side of the car if you need to). Don't want it chaffing I'd imagine...plus guess you should really have the correct torque when putting the bolt back...

NB3 - If you can't see the leak guess could get a willing assistant to squirt the washer whilst you look..but beware there are lots of wires tucked away in that C pillar...

Good Luck !

·
Registered
44 Posts
Has anyone done this fix on a 3 door Golf? I've looked for these screws but they dont appear to be where they should. Also people are saying to unclip the roof lining strip that runs across the width but mine appears to be glued on?

·
Super Moderator
50,204 Posts
Has anyone done this fix on a 3 door Golf? I've looked for these screws but they dont appear to be where they should. Also people are saying to unclip the roof lining strip that runs across the width but mine appears to be glued on?
Did it on my 3 door a couple of weeks ago,all clips and screws as shown.Maybe a previous owner has tried to remove that trim strip,broke in and then glued it back on again?

Chris.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts