Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Kjohal
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Peeps

Since we had all the snow and freezing weather my rear wash wipe has stopped working, the wiper works but no water when pressing for it - I initially throught it was frozen, but not the case now the temps are above 0.

I have done some searches and checked the carpet in the boot and the bootwell for water, all bone dry, checked my carpets under passenger side seat - again all dry. The front washer jets work fine as too do my headlight washers, when i press the rear wash i can hear the motor but nothing comes out, maybe a couple of drips of water come out, it looks to me like it blocked, however could it be anything else?

thanks in advance

got my MOT in a couple of weeks aswell, could it fail because of this??

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't think it could fail an mot because de-wipered cars pass mots every day.

You could blow air down the line to see if you can blow out any potential blockages

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Peeps

Since we had all the snow and freezing weather my rear wash wipe has stopped working, the wiper works but no water when pressing for it - I initially throught it was frozen, but not the case now the temps are above 0.

I have done some searches and checked the carpet in the boot and the bootwell for water, all bone dry, checked my carpets under passenger side seat - again all dry. The front washer jets work fine as too do my headlight washers, when i press the rear wash i can hear the motor but nothing comes out, maybe a couple of drips of water come out, it looks to me like it blocked, however could it be anything else?

thanks in advance

got my MOT in a couple of weeks aswell, could it fail because of this??
I have EXACTLY the same problem as you mate. i took the tailgate doorcard thing off and there was no water coming through at all when i tested it(i pulled the pipe off the washer and stuck a bottle on it) so im assuming it is either blocked or a pipe has been disconnected in the engine bay.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had the same problem, have you checked for any pools of water appearing under the car when you try to use it? I gave up and dewipered, rear visibility is overrated anyway [;)]

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I'd check it hasn't come off in the engine bay before doing much else, when it froze if you tried it, it could have blown off.

Could just go a head and de-wiper it.. [whistle]

·
Kjohal
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
whereabouts in the engine bay am i looking for the pipe? any pointers please peeps - i have no water internally but will check if anything underneath the engine area when its pressed

i did have a thought, im going to buy a compressed air can that i normally use to blow dust and crap out of computer, i was thinking of connecting the red straw like tube to the hole and pressing the cannister, the might get some air on it, i did try blowing down it myself and it didnt work - got some funny looks aswell from my neighbour - lol [:D]

i let you know if any of them sort it, be handy to know where in the engine area to look if anyone can advise.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I just stuck a needle in the hole at the back of the car and managed to get abit of dirt out,

Tried the washer and for about 2 seconds it was working perfect and then it blocked up again :(

EDIT: Nevermind, just stuck a thinner needle in and its now working

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the same problem

It`s been at VW for a service they said it`s the motor has seized, and wanted £130 to fix.....but funny that, not long after it started to work again, it`s been well over a year now, but meaning to fix it now i have the plastic cover off the hatch.

Now got scratches on the rear window because.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey I have the same problem and have only just started investigating it.

Before you started poking a pin down the nozzle were you getting any water at all?

Think I'm gonna try that as I had the cover off in the boot and saw nothing obvious but was thinking the motor may be dead. Now not thinking that as not many cases have been reported about faulty motors on here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts