Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got in the car, looked in the mirror and noticed a streak of birdcrap on the back window.

Pressed the wash/wipe and heard the motor and a liquidy noise, though nothing was hitting the rear window.

Got out checked the back window, no water, opened the boot, no water on the inside of the hatch, and just assumed it wasnt working.

Got back in the car a little later on and it had a vinegar like smell, which I suspect is washer fluid.

Where has it leaked, I cant find any evidence of it, though really suspect its leaking somewhere?

Any known problems with this on a 2000 mk4?

Cheers, Dan

·
Registered
832 Posts
Got in the car, looked in the mirror and noticed a streak of birdcrap on the back window.

Pressed the wash/wipe and heard the motor and a liquidy noise, though nothing was hitting the rear window.

Got out checked the back window, no water, opened the boot, no water on the inside of the hatch, and just assumed it wasnt working.

Got back in the car a little later on and it had a vinegar like smell, which I suspect is washer fluid.

Where has it leaked, I cant find any evidence of it, though really suspect its leaking somewhere?

Any known problems with this on a 2000 mk4?

Cheers, Dan
Sorry mate all i know are that these are well know for leaking [:(]

Sure someone will come along soon who has had this problem!

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Two places it can leak.

One, inside the tailgate (bootlid)

two, inside the rear c-pillar, passenger side.

If it's leaking inside the bootlid, you will see water dripping out
when u lift up the bootlid, or atleast u will see water around
the bootlock and rubber seals.

If it's leaking inside the C-Pillar, then you'll see the roof lining wet or possibly stained with washer water.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just went out to the car with a torch and found that around the c pillar on the passenger side there is blue staining on the roof lining, bollox!!!! [:mad:]

Thanks for your help, I'll get it sorted, and then try and clean up the roof lining.

Grrrrrr

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is washer fluid corrosive? Im thinking I may need to remove the roof lining soon and get the metal underneath cleaned up pretty damn quickly.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Me and b6x fixed it at the weekend.

We had to remove a fair bit of trim to get to it (I say we, b6x did most of it) and found that two parts of the pipe that click together were disconnected (pics to follow). Reattached them, added some insulation tape and all is working again. Also managed to clean up the trim a fair bit (again I was mainly supervising [:)])

Also replaced the tailgate handle as it had lost some paint, went fairly smoothly except for me managing to snap some of the trim clips, nothing that a bit of superglue didn't fix though.

Job's a good-un and my ripoff dealer didn't get a penny.

·
Registered
228 Posts
turbodan,

That wasn't insulation tape we used, that was Approved
motor-trade specification "plastic pipe coupling tape".

Actually, come to think of it, it was insulation tape. [:)]

Would definately recommend to anyone to spend 10 minutes pulling off
the trim to check their washer pipe. It seems a pretty poor
design for something hidden away. And it makes a bit of a mess of the
headlining if it goes... not to mention pouring onto the top of any
boot mounted CD autochanger.

b6x

·
Registered
2 Posts
This waa a regular occurence on my Ibiza I had a few years ago, which
had the same type of rear wash-wipe as the Golf (with the washer jet in
the spindle). The dealers used to fix it with cable ties, whuch worked
some of the time. I gave up and superglued the joins.

·
Registered
824 Posts
My golf's rear wash doesn't work either even though I hear the motor whirring. At the same time the alarm takes 3 button presses to arm it,does this mean it is most likely to be leaking in the boot trim as the water is stopping the alarm workign correctly?

·
Registered
45 Posts
im also having a problem with the rear wash/wipe, the motors are churning and the water is coming out but its only trickling out any suggestions?

pics of where to look for in the boot and roof lining stains would be helpful if anyone has any!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Do a search on this web site as there has been loads of info on the
leaking tailgate washers, together with fll instructions of how to fix
it with picures etc.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I've searched the site and can't find any pictures of how to repair it. I have a dilema however,my c pillar is damp so I know it leaks there,but my alarm is also dodgy as it takes 3 presses of the key to arm it. Could anyone post some more pictures of how to solve the leak please?!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hi Vaudaz,

We did take a picture or two, but only once the trim etc was off. From memory it was pretty simple.

Remove parcel shelf

Remove left hand plastic trim (that parcel shelf rests on) by removing
screw by boot opening, behind the carpet, and unclipping, upwards, the
three plastic clips that connect it to the c-pillar trim.

Remove the two nuts at the bottom of the c-pillar trim.

Remove the long trim that goes from c-pillar to c-pillar (by pulling downwards)

Remove c-pillar trim by pulling outwards/downwards - held on with plastic clips so go a bit careful.

I'll see if I still have the pictures of what you are looking for one all of the trim is off.

Thanks,

b6x

·
Registered
824 Posts
Just thought I ought to say a big cheers to you b6x,20 mins of trim pulling and fiddling got it sorted,now all I need is a passenger door lock motor as that is what's causing the alarm difficulty,not the washer!

·
Registered
228 Posts
No worries at all. Glad to be some help. Was your washer pipe actually disconnected and leaking then?

Cheers,

b6x

Pictures as promised - in case it helps anyone else. Thanks to
turbodan for donor vehicle. Apologies they are a bit blurred and
only a few of them:-

{with all required trim removed}

Posted Image

{the offending pipe}

Posted Image

{the offending pipe fixed!}

Posted Image

·
Registered
824 Posts
It was just as your pictures show,I knew that the washer wasn't working,so sprayed a little to see if a damp patch would appear,and sure enough the roof lining and the c-pillar trim became damp quickly.It now works like a dream and with a little help from a lot of extra strength water proof tape!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Grrrr.  Mines just done exactly this.  Car is in bits at the moment as i'm waiting for the bits to dry out b4 i put em back in.  Thing is, my 3rd brake light is playing up, it just lights up at the ends, not in the middle.  Are the 3 connectors anything to do with the 3rd brake light, as it seems screenwash has got into them

1 - 20 of 58 Posts