Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I tried searching for a post on this but nothing found using 'rear wash wipe' or 'rear washer' so forgive me if the subject has been covered.

My rear wash wipe (53 plate Golf GTi) doesn't have as much oompff as I would expect it to (It seems to take a while to reach the furthest part of the wiper blade).

I do not have any damp patches - so I don't think it's leaking anywhere - is there a way of checking or improving the performance....??

Regards

·
Registered
224 Posts
Open the boot and there is a screw in each of the boot closer handles. Undo these and pull the cover of (just pops of but needs a bit of force). On the back of the motor is a water pipe feeding the nozzle just push this on and hey presto should have full pressure back.

I did this on my old golf and my brothers as VW wanted 60.00 to do this which is a small fortune for 5 - 10 mins work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Couchd,

I located the screws and loosened them (they didn't appear to want to come out completely ?) but I couldn't remove the cover - would you mind advising how you got it off - was it just brute force ? (I don't want to break anything...!)[:$]

Regards

Smoo

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts
Yeah just pull it, start from the bottom of the bootlid is easiest. Just be more carefull when it comes to the edge near the window. Had mine off a couple of times and have never broken it.

Does require a good pull though

·
Registered
586 Posts
Just a wee add on, the Search facility is down at the moment, thats why you got no results. According to the admins it should be back up shortly though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK - I have removed the rear panel - detached and re-attached the wash/wipe pipe and yes it works better now. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Mine is ok I think but is the wiper supposed to stop whilst spraying the washer jet??

That is quite annoying and sure it would be better if it kept going to spread the water instead of letting it run down window.

Cheers

Nick

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine is ok I think but is the wiper supposed to stop whilst spraying the washer jet??

That is quite annoying and sure it would be better if it kept going to spread the water instead of letting it run down window.

Cheers

Nick
No - the rear wiper should start as soon as you press the lever for 'washing' and should wipe a few times afterwards....

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Lol, just noticed that I need to do my rear washer jet again as it has lost most of its pressure...again.

Its been back to the garage for this twice already in the last 4 months, and each time it lasts until I come to use it on a cold morning...

I think I'll have a look myself and do it properly this time now I've read the guides.

·
Registered
487 Posts
What actually is the problem? is the pressure
loss due to leaking? mine now hardly reaches the bottom of the
wiper..
Yes the problem is the little plastic hose that connects to the wiper
mechanism. You need to do it or it can play havock with your
alarm and the sensor on the lock making the car think the boot is open
all the time. That's what happened to me. I had to dry the
trim out in the airing cupboard!!

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Yeh, and ive had mine back on a couple of occasions and they stil cant do a permenant repair. I remember last time it started with the boot open light on, then the boot lock stopped on the RCL, then the alarm went AWOL and I had to take a fuse out until I got it back to the garage, washed down with a blown relay and a fuse. Most annoying...

I've just avoided using my rear wash wipe when I noticed the pressure had gone again, so the inside of the tailgate stays dry, and I will sort it once and for all this weekend. If you want a job done properly...

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Ive also noticed that since I got the garage to do it last time there is something rattling about inside the tailgate cavity that I can hear when I open and close the boot....

Is there any particular way to do this job to stop it popping off again, or can someone point me in the direction of a thread or how do as I cant seem to find one. I'd like to think it should be a simple job, but nothing ever seems to be on these cars!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
im a complete car newb and i sorted the hose problem out with ease. so i reckon anybody can do it!

2 things.

1) i too had a rattling bazking, i had 2 little clips that had some off
from somewhere inside the boot cavity and a bit of moving the boot up
and down and wiggiling my fingers inside tring to find it sorted it
out. now i have no rattle! ;)

2) if my hose ever comes out again, im going to use plumbers glue that
is used in overflow fittings and general drainage. it bonds and seals
joints (90's, T's, 45's, sockets). the best bet would be to put the
hose back on and glue around the hose and pump head so it can't come
off again. i wouldnt put it in the actual hose itself, as its only tiny
and we dont want any blockages!

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Plumbers glue. Good idea Sherlock. I've added that one to the shopping list.

Its a nice day today so I think I'll have a crack this afternoon!

I think the rattle is a bit of plastic or a broken clip or something that the last chimp who attempted to fix it managed to leave in there, hence why instead of taking it back to the garage, I am going to get it sorted myself once and for all.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts