Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is starting to bug me now as i think its getting worse ..

When i fitted the rear springs (about 10 weeks ago) the drivers side sat quite alot lower then the passenger (about 20mm!) with both perches wound right down equal, so to equal things up properly i took the perch and cup off the passenger side, this still wasnt equal (drivers side still sitting lower).

Ive no idea why its doing it, when i put the new springs and shocks on i also changed the top mounts aswell.

Ive also got a slight rattle on the passenger side if thats any relation?.

So just to make it clearer:

Passenger side rear is 20mm higher WITHOUT perch and cup

Drivers side rear is 20mm lower WITH perch and Cup.

There a jamex kit btw

Im out of ideas .. its a strange one

Jack

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Mate, just so you know, I've got the same issue, maybe not to the same extent, but it sounds like the same thing.

The rear nearside is 10-15mm higher, and was with OEM springs, Konis, Lesjofor and Apex!

Have you noticed that maybe 1 time out of 5 that you park up it seems 'balanced' or properly settled? Makes me think something's not settling properly when the car's static.

I'm planning on having my rear beam bushes done sometime over the next month or so. If this cures it, or sheds any light on what this is about I'll let you know. I think the whole rear axle has to come out to do the bushes (may be wrong!), but if so I reckon it might all have a better chance of sitting truer after the job... Who knows!

Have you had any progress with yours then, or are you still stumped??

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep i get basically exactly the same mate, can park up out the front of mine on a level courtyard and sometimes ( not very often ) it looks to sit about right .. also when i go to asda's, booth's, town or the girlfreinds it never seems to sit right even thou my mates car next to me does.

Ive also changed the rear top mounts AGAIN at the weekend but that did nothing, well apart from sorting a slight rattle, i checked my axle bushes when i was down there aswell and they LOOKED fine tbh so ive basically given up now, its as thou something's fouling it. And as far as i know the bushes can be done with the axle in place but is meant to be a PITA.

Im just assuming now that there cheapish springs and with having the fuel on the side thats lower thats why its sitting how it is, still not happy but carnt afford to throw any more money at it.

Let me know how you get on though mate [Y]

·
Registered
158 Posts
My Estate is exactly the same!! I'm glad I'm not the only one having this problem. My Drivers side sits a good bit lower than the passenger. Basically the drivers side seems to tuck and the passenger not.

If anyone has any luck fixing it please update this thread, I'd be really interested ti get it sorted!

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
The rear fuel tank does not sit in the middle of the car (sits closer to drivers side) so with the weight of the fuel being uneven, the rear will not sit level.

This annoyed me so much that I switched to coilovers in the end!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm on coilovers! However I am on Hatch coilovers and need stiffer rate springs for the back. Hopefull come the spring I'm just going to be taking the adjusters out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeh this is what i put it down to (the fuel tank) but even with 1/4 tank it still does it .. badly!

But yeh like you said above qwagon, uprated springs on the back would be a good idea, but you try finding some that arnt in a set [:(]

·
Registered
158 Posts
If we can find out the Spring Dimesnions (Unladen weight, and spring rate) getting some 2 1/4" Internal Diameter Springs From Somewhere Like Rallysport or Demon Tweeks shouldn't be too expensive or hard.

I'll have a look into it.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Have you all tried loosening the axle mounting bolts whenever you have adjusted the ride height?

This makes a big difference, and is an absolute must do if you want to stop your axle bushes getting destroyed quicker than normal.

Just loosen the bolts before you adjust the height, then tighten them back up once your at the height you want, just make sure the car is fully resting on the springs, ie don't jack it up to tighten the axle bolts.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
I'm on coilovers! However I am on Hatch coilovers and need stiffer rate springs for the back. Hopefull come the spring I'm just going to be taking the adjusters out.
I mean you could simply lower the car more on the passenger side rear, or raise the drivers side rear to get an equal stance...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have you all tried loosening the axle mounting bolts whenever you have adjusted the ride height?

This makes a big difference, and is an absolute must do if you want to stop your axle bushes getting destroyed quicker than normal.

Just loosen the bolts before you adjust the height, then tighten them back up once your at the height you want, just make sure the car is fully resting on the springs, ie don't jack it up to tighten the axle bolts.
Might try this, gonna have to get the garage to do it thou if it carnt be jacked up and has to be on a lift.

As mines obviously lowered already how would i go about doing it? get it on the lift loosen the bolts and itl drop by itself then tighten them back up?

Jack

·
Registered
500 Posts
Might try this, gonna have to get the garage to do it thou if it carnt be jacked up and has to be on a lift.

As mines obviously lowered already how would i go about doing it? get it on the lift loosen the bolts and itl drop by itself then tighten them back up?

Jack
You don't really need a lift to do it, just put something(ramps, blocks of wood, concrete blocks, anything as long as its safe) under the rear tyres so as to lift the car high enough so you have enough space to be able to loosen and tighten the axle bolts.

The critical factor is that the cars weight is on the springs whilst you are doing the bolts.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok i get you now, thing is i have none of them things you mention to put under the wheels, could i not just put two trolley jacks under each springs and lift the car that way? atleast i know its stable then and the springs should remain compressed.

Just two other things to clear up aswell, by un-doing and re-tightening these bolts what does it actually accomplish? and will the body of the car drop when i undo them a little bit and then come to a stop then i retighten them? sorry about the 21 questions just dont want anything else to go wrong with this car by me not doing it right [:mad:]

Thanks For Your Help, Jack

·
Registered
500 Posts
Yep, a trolley jack under each spring would do it, only problem is that you'd have to lift each side the exact same amount.

You could do that by lifting each side in turn until you could slip an object, eg the handle of a screwdriver, under each tyre, then you'd know that each side was as near as damn it the same height off the ground.

Loosening/tightening the bolts allows the axle bush to settle into its natural resting position relative to the ride height you've set the car at.

The rear axle bush is just a big piece of rubber, so as you lower the car, it just gets twisted, and so the car won't settle properly as the bush is basically loaded up to its limit.

When you loosen the bolts the car might drop a little bit but not much.

Just be safe, put the car in gear and put some bricks each side of your front wheels to stop the car rolling, since having the car jacked up at the back means your handbrake is doing nothing, and of course make sure you are parked on level ground.

Also, forgot to say, but you should also loosen the bolts that hold the rear shocks to the axle, as its the same story with these ie rubber bush being twisted.

So jack up the car with a trolley jack under each spring, loosen the axle bolts and shocker bolts, adjust the ride height if you want, then tighten all the bolts back up.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I mean you could simply lower the car more on the passenger side rear, or raise the drivers side rear to get an equal stance...
Yeah but I'm hoping to lose the adjusters eventually to get low!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yep, a trolley jack under each spring would do it, only problem is that you'd have to lift each side the exact same amount.

You could do that by lifting each side in turn until you could slip an object, eg the handle of a screwdriver, under each tyre, then you'd know that each side was as near as damn it the same height off the ground.

Loosening/tightening the bolts allows the axle bush to settle into its natural resting position relative to the ride height you've set the car at.

The rear axle bush is just a big piece of rubber, so as you lower the car, it just gets twisted, and so the car won't settle properly as the bush is basically loaded up to its limit.

When you loosen the bolts the car might drop a little bit but not much.

Just be safe, put the car in gear and put some bricks each side of your front wheels to stop the car rolling, since having the car jacked up at the back means your handbrake is doing nothing, and of course make sure you are parked on level ground.

Also, forgot to say, but you should also loosen the bolts that hold the rear shocks to the axle, as its the same story with these ie rubber bush being twisted.

So jack up the car with a trolley jack under each spring, loosen the axle bolts and shocker bolts, adjust the ride height if you want, then tighten all the bolts back up.
Cheers mate you've been a great help, ill slip on my dinner to
halfords tomorrow to buy another trolley jack, ive been after a new one
for a while anyways so gives me an excuse.

Im gonna take the other perch out from the drivers side aswell so neither of them have a perch in anymore before i do this then all being well it "should" sit even.

Fingers crossed it isnt raining on saterday and ill give this a go and update with how i get on [Y]

Jack

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Dubster, I'm sure you suggested this to me a while ago when I mentioned the issue in an older thread. From what I remember it didn't help me much, but maybe Jack will have more luck as his imbalance seems alot more extreme. It does make sense what you're saying.

Hope you get it sorted Jack, post up any results.

I'm inclined to think that rear springs and adjusters off some coilies would suffice for me - as there's only 10mm or so difference left to right. Hopefully anyway!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Dubster, I'm sure you suggested this to me a while ago when I mentioned the issue in an older thread. From what I remember it didn't help me much, but maybe Jack will have more luck as his imbalance seems alot more extreme. It does make sense what you're saying.

Hope you get it sorted Jack, post up any results.

I'm inclined to think that rear springs and adjusters off some coilies would suffice for me - as there's only 10mm or so difference left to right. Hopefully anyway!
I think I did, yes.

Sorry it didn't help you much, but it is definately something you should do when mucking about with the rear suspension, if only to stop the axle and shocker bushes getting destroyed prematurely.

·
Registered
143 Posts
If re settling the bushes doesn't solve the imbalance then you should try swapping the springs from left to right. If the problem then reverses and you're sitting too low on the opposite side then it's definately your springs at fault! Time to replace them or get back onto your supplier to activate the garuntees!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts