Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tonight i thought one of my numberplate bulbs (festoons?) had gone, so i started to remove it to take a look, just as i used a screwdrived to start to pull it out, it started working again. when i put the screws back in it stops working again.

ive got it working for now, i kept the screw driver in the side while i tightened the screws then pulled it out after, its working but 1 pot hole will probably be enough to knock it out again.

any idea what needs replacing/fixing?

ive thought about putting festoon leds in there but now that i know its not the bulb, will i be better just getting a full plug and play led kit that can be seen from space?

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Well numberplate lights are a common problem in general for mk4's whith various causes.

I would try replacing the unit that the filament lamp is held in. Or take it out and do some fault-finding on a bench.

If you can get the light to work in situ, try to wriggle the wiring without moving the holder, if the lamp goes out then it could be a faulty connection or the contacts and connector pins need cleaning.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys, will have a look for some contact cleaner 2mz after work, the car's going in the garage 2mz nite anyway for me to finally do something with it, so will have light to have a better look at it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts