Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, i fitted some 15mm rear spacers last month.

As there is more 'poke', ive noticed that the right side wheel sticks out about 5mm more than the left.

Aslo, the left wheel has more camber??

Pics:

Left behind / above:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Right behind / above:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Anyone know whats up? New bearing or something?

Thanks

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahh cheers mate, never knew that!! Seems a bit odd though.

Is that the reason for the different camber too?

·
Fast or low and slow, that is the question.
4,607 Posts
It is a bit strange, I noticed that my last set of lm's were scrubbing more on one side but I never thought about asking why.

I'm not to sure about the camber sorry.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've recently noticed this too. My parked car was hit pretty badly into the back left wheel byt some idiot in an Audi. Pic below

Posted Image

After getting the car back from the garage, I've noticed that the back left wheel looks a lot higher and also tucked in further than the right. The mechanic noticed it too and I'm bringing the car back in on Monday for him to look at/fix the problem.

I guessed that he had used the rear arm from a standard Golf instead of a GT (my understanding is that the setup/suspension is quite different) and that caused the wheel to not stick out as far on the rear left.

I've 10mm spacers btw

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I had a similar thing on my Mk4 i was convinced my rear beam was bent. So where i worked at Skoda i measured some Octavia's up to see what width the rear axles were apart and all were the same. In the end i had a look at a workshop manual and found where the rear axle mounts to the body the two brackets sit have elongated holes in them. So i loosen all 8 bolts and slid the axle across approx half of the difference my wheels sat in (around 5mm) Re-tightened all bolts and checked my wheels sat the same distance from the leading edge of the arch to the lip of the wheel. Then went and got wheel alignment carried out and never had a problem since. Car drives just the same as it did before.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
dude i fit my spacers TONIGHT earlier on, and noticed exactly the same thing, hence sitting on here. cant believe it i thought it was just me! but uhohh wont it cause worse tyre wear lol :/

·
Registered
364 Posts
I was hit in exactly the same place, got it fixed by the insurance but three weeks later when going round right hand corners I got a squealing noise you wouldn't believe........got out and looked at the corner and I had severe extra camber on the passenger rear.

Contacted the insurance company who told me to take it back to the repairer. What followed was a three way argument you wouldn't believe.

Repairer - It never left here like that.

Me - I agree, but since its the corner you repaired, I would suggest something has now happened but as you can see, your work is fresh with no additional work or damage since. Did you strip it right down and check everything?

Repairer - We replaced what appeared damaged, new rear quarter and had the car checked on a jig.

Insurance - The car was completely repaired, this must be a separate issue.

Me - No. It isn't.

I eventually got the insurance to cover the removal and strip of the rear axle, but only on the proviso that if it was proved to be something not attributable to the accident then I was paying.

Upon inspection it appeared the rear hub had taken the impact, the bearings had collapsed in on themselves. This in turn had heated up enough to bend the rear axle. The repairer was gobsmacked. I had a newer anni axle already purchased (got from a scrappy for the uprated rear brakes) so they just fitted that.

The repairer did wonder how my rear wheel had not parted company and went sailing past me.......he was even more shocked when I said that if it had he'd have been getting sued. To replace the rear quarter and not think to strip down the hub......couldn't get a hold of the insurers mechanic after that, always unavailable.......changed insurance companies the next year, found out they also changed repairers though......

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
the rear beam can be adjusted across but needs setting up on a propper system like a hunter.

one wheel will camber more,

if you draw a rectangle on a page, now imagne we lean it to the left one side will go in at the top, while the other will go out, thats all that happening, being 5mm across is causing that to happen, it may be done like this to ofset the weight of the petrol tank, we dont notice as the oem fitment is very tucked, you only see it when you get close to the arch.

would be interesting to see if uk/us car both do the same

·
Registered
236 Posts
bringing this thread back from the dead...

i've just had IDF drop plates installed on the rear due to being on air. Having this same exact issue, my rear left is tucked in nicely and the drivers side wheel is sticking out a tad- noticibly enough! when aired out, the drivers rear arch sits on the tyre and the passengers rear is tucked in :(

how are people getting around this? until i saw this thread- i figured my IDF plates were machined slightly different or i have a bent axle...

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
10,722 Posts
I had a similar thing on my Mk4 i was convinced my rear beam was bent. So where i worked at Skoda i measured some Octavia's up to see what width the rear axles were apart and all were the same. In the end i had a look at a workshop manual and found where the rear axle mounts to the body the two brackets sit have elongated holes in them. So i loosen all 8 bolts and slid the axle across approx half of the difference my wheels sat in (around 5mm) Re-tightened all bolts and checked my wheels sat the same distance from the leading edge of the arch to the lip of the wheel. Then went and got wheel alignment carried out and never had a problem since. Car drives just the same as it did before.
for everyone that has this problem if you didn't have a bump or anything but it's just off.... this is how it is done. And if you tell the guy that does your alignment to do so they will do it as they will notice that the axle isn't in it's place as soon as they put the back alignment plates on the back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry to drag this up AGAIN!i also lowered car tonight and out new wheels on,same issue with drivers side,looking at the car it definitly doesn't seem to of ever had a knock all looks very straight,I've also noticed that the drivers side also sits about 10mm further foreward in the arch!is this likely to be axle adjustment and is that quite an easy job?

·
Registered
754 Posts
its not uncommon for the axle to be off center. It will have always been like that, but it becomes more apparent when lowered as you have an arch to see it by eye how far off it is.

it could either be a bent stub axle or the beam has shifted. or not been aligned properly from factory.

same on most vw's with fixed rear beams.

Measure, loosen the mounts, shove, nip up, re measure, tighten etc..

I got lucky with mine its spot on, lol my polo however wasn't, and had the same issue as above.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts