Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Switched on the rear fog light this evening and noticed that the bulb was bright white. Is this right? Thought a rear fog lamp was supposed to be red?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Fog light is red & on the right hand side (for a RHD car) with the white reversing light on the left.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hello.

Thought I was going mad. I always knew there were two reversing lights (which is handy when reversing when it's dark), but I always thought there were two fog lights on the mk4. I had a dodgy tail light on the driver's side (bulb connector) and when I went to check the other lights I discovered there seems only to be one fog lamp (also driver's side). Bizarrely, I have a fog light bulb (25W?) in the 'fog light holder' on the passenger side, but it's not connected. The car's owners' manual says only one rear fog light and the wiring diagram (and text) in the Haynes manual seems to confirm this.

I can see why VW would use the same bulb module for both sides (simple) and switch the symmetry of the bulbs and relevant wiring, but why include the bulb?

What's the recommended way to wire up the second one, it is legal and what are the pros and cons? Anyone done this?

Cheers

As an aside, I can see why not to do this as rear dazzle of fog lights can mask brake lights and with two fog lamps it can effectively mask the brake lights (or indicators) on both sides, which isn't the case for singles. In old days it was common for fog lights to be totally removed from the main light clusters to avoid this, but manufacturers seem to tend towards single clusters now..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts