Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an issue with the exterior rear door handle.

The small cable clip that fits in the handle, has come out. So you can't open the door from the outside. I have been looking on this and other sites and followed numerous sets of instructions, none of them seem to work. Some talk of a torx screw in the side of the door, that is not present. I have taken the door card off and the inner card, no joy.

Any ideas

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have same problem. The actual screw is behind the door seal. Look around the door seal (black rubber)on the inside edge of the door. In line with the exterior handle you will see the seal changes to a circular shape. Pull the seal away a little bit and you will see a hole. Look through the hole but look up slightly, you will see the screw there.

The cable clip is not in the handle so I guess I'll be taking the door trim off at some point.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Do you mean that the cable has come off the back of the handle by any chance?

If you pull the handle open and look in the side of it you should see a cable/black thing, (compare it to your other door handles), if its not there its a fairly simple fix it happened to me too.

·
Registered
394 Posts
i had this problem, so i undid the torx screw a bit, pulled out the smaller part of the handle, and put the cable back in place. Worked fine until i locked and unlocked the car. Now it wont open from either side. So its at the mechanics to sort it. Needed a cambelt change and a service so was due there anyway.

·
Registered
817 Posts
i adjusted mine ok it was after i had changed the lock mech and i hadn't set it before fitting it.

it's a simple procedure explained perfectly by sam.

·
Registered
327 Posts
i had this problem, so i undid the torx screw a bit, pulled out the smaller part of the handle, and put the cable back in place. Worked fine until i locked and unlocked the car. Now it wont open from either side. So its at the mechanics to sort it. Needed a cambelt change and a service so was due there anyway.
As Woolley said except I put some bluetac in the hole after to stop it happening again, which it hasn't. [Y]

Don't pull the handle out / undo the screw too far though.

·
Registered
394 Posts
When i screwed it back in i kinda heard something twang. I didnt think anything of it until the door wouldnt open from either side. Once i get it back from mechanic ill let you know what he said so you dont do the same.

·
Registered
498 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts